Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just had two RRE's and the icon line on the rear view camera delivered the towbar right under the caravan coupling. On my DS it seems to leave it about 6 inches short and 2 inches to the left (aiming for a blue Witthoff built in stabiliser coupling). Any other members who have tried to hitch their caravans experienced this issue. Interested to know before it goes to the dealers for possible renewal or realignement.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes I thought it was me, except mine looking at the hitch (not in the camera) ends up on the right.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Do you have the target sticker in the right place? or can the system be calibrated?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moose said:
Yes I thought it was me, except mine looking at the hitch (not in the camera) ends up on the right.
Mine ends up off to the UK near side.

I can only think that it is the same camera that is used on the RRE with the same software for the lines and no one at JLR has realised that the camera is clearly physically located at a different height and horizontally than the RRE so puts the line and dot in the wrong place?

With a double axle caravan you can't just move it to the towbar as with a single axle so the reversing camera is key to being able to hook up alone when my wife is otherwise engaged in child care duties or I am collecting the van alone from storage etc. Reversing with someone giving you directions through the back window is so twentieth century :lol: :lol:

A trip to the Stealers beckons as I took a couple of photos from the car display and outside to show how far away it is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
At least yours works, I'm still waiting on a software update to get lines on my display at all!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hmm. I don't tow. But I have noticed when reversing into my drive that the yellow "aim" lines are off. I put it down to it not being set up that precisely, and if I trusted it I would be wide on the right side but far too close to the gatepost on the left.. now I wonder if, as you say, the system is calibrated for the camera location being different on the vehicle.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ccomley said:
Hmm. I don't tow. But I have noticed when reversing into my drive that the yellow "aim" lines are off. I put it down to it not being set up that precisely, and if I trusted it I would be wide on the right side but far too close to the gatepost on the left.. now I wonder if, as you say, the system is calibrated for the camera location being different on the vehicle.
Could be onto something then?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same sort of place, but if you park an RRE and DS side by side then the tailgate strip is about 5cm higher on the DS and the camera seems to be a bit more flush mounted on the RRE from what I can remember.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's not, on mine you get the ball level with the hitch, just off to one side. I will take a picture the weekend.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ohh! I will try next time with the locking handle on the towbar down in case it is fooling the camera (although it zooms in OK with a couple of feet to go) but don't expect much difference.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Extra tests today. If the two fat yellow lines are supposed to show where the car will be, they're definitely wrong. I think I'll go back to good old fashioned looking in the mirror! :) Camera is useful for tellig me when I have tailgate opening room tho.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to the stealers today here in Germany. First time they had seen this problem, but agreed it was not right. They seem to think it could be re-calibrated and are working out how to do it on one of their new cars. Once they have it sussed they will drop me an e-mail next week to arrange a time to come in and get mine fixed.

I'll let you know how I get on.

[email protected] - anybody else reporting similar issues through the UK network? My towbar is factory fitted?

·
Registered
510 Posts
My rear view camera works fine and markers seem well calibrated. I don't tow, but reversing is a doddle.

However, having seen the 'Cameras' menu onscreen, I had a whim to press it whilst travelling down the A38 today, expecting it to say something like "function not available" as I was doing 70mph. To my amazement the camera came straight on, giving me a wide angle view from the rear. This could be useful in town when cyclists and other traffic are wandering lanes right behind you. Has anybody else tried this?

When I got home, in the camera mode, I pressed the 'more info' button (bottom right of screen) and three icons came up. Not sure if they work, but appear to be parking spot related. This suggests to me that everything for parallel and bay parking is built in, and would probably just need software module activation to give the facility, though I'm sure that it's been quoted that it can only be specified in factory build, not dealer update.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I know the camera works when driving along - very wierd when towing a caravan to see it bobbing along behind you from that angle! All the lines for parking work fine, but the issue here is that line to follow when reversing to a trailer coupling (which on my RRE were there even if you had not towbar since they and are still not factory options on the RRE) is off, which Moose has reported being off in his car aswell (albeit to a different place from mine!)

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I checked mine and it is off by about 3 inches, the 2 lines for normal parking are also off by 3 inches, as the same camera is used for both situations there is no surprise with that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm sure there must be some calibration required for different tow packs. On mine for example (AU-spec 7-seater dealer fit) I can clearly see the tow ball in the camera so there's no real advantage to tow hitch assist. I have noticed however that the 5 seater and 7 seater towballs end up in significantly different locations and this may be part of the reason some are out of alignment?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.