Discovery Sport Forum banner

Rear Seats

16K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  J77 
#1 ·
Anybody else out there with a family of five gone to look at a "7 seat" Disco Sport looking to p/ex an MPV only to find the rear seat has a central armrest meaning it's not really practical for regular use with five people, particular considering kids car seats.
I was holding high hopes for the Disco Sport as running costs for the FF Disco are too brutal for my family.
I'm thinking LR should be marketing the Disco Sport as 4+3 seating, not 5+2. The car itself is easily big enough for a family of five to live with everyday, but the rear seat design seems to have completely overlooking the need for this practicality.
I'm gutted ! :cry:

#2 ·
I didn't take all three kids with me when I went for a tests drive yesterday. Was the centre seat really impossible to use? It looked fine to me, but I didn't sit on it.

#3 ·
I took the DS out for a test drive before Christmas and it looked standard rear seating as you get in most vehicle's.
If the kids complain about the centre seat once I get the car then they can play musical chairs on long distance runs ;-)

Attachments

#4 ·
Ok it would be great to have 3 across the second row, but there are another two seats at the rear for the 'lucky' child to sit in and still have space in the boot for a buggy etc.

#5 ·
Looking at that photo (as a great reminder) it looks pretty standard fair for 3 across the second row. I've twins of 6 (boosters) and a daughter of 12 (no booster). She's like a stick and will be fine in the centre for most journeys I think. longer journeys we'll use row three. maybe once I've had a chat with the dealer I can get an extended drive booked and fill the car with the whole family.

#6 ·
You can seat 3 adults on the rear bench but I would agree that the middle seat is more comfortable for a child<12yrs

Attachments

#7 ·
And there's only two Isofix points - rear outer seats. If LR are selling the Disco Sport as a seven seater, I guess they are trying to lure families away from their MPV's. I have a 12 year old, 10 year old and a 4 year old and this type of rear seat design just doesn't give the comfort of flexibility of my current MPV even though the interior is plenty big enough. For safety reasons I would never put my kids in the 6th and 7th seats in the boot - seen too many horror stories.

#8 ·
The DS has pretty standard seating, I think the seating your after is the ones from the bigger Discovery, my D4 has the 3 proper seats in the 2nd row.

#9 ·
Mcbatcommander said:
For safety reasons I would never put my kids in the 6th and 7th seats in the boot - seen too many horror stories.
So you're not actually in the market for a 7-seater.

#10 ·
Nope. Not looking at the car as a 7 seater. I'm running my 2nd VW Touran which I bought because they are great 5 seaters to move the family around. The fact that they are 7 seaters is immaterial. But I can't see why LR have produced a car that is big enough to be a 7 seater but seat 5 has less everyday usability than seats 3 and 4. I've had enough of the MPV thing now as I've done it to death. I'm looking for a change of car type and brand. LR are making a lot of the class leading rear leg room but If they'd have designed the rear seats better - mirroring that ethos of practicality, they'd be another step forward of Audi with their Q5 and BMW with their X3 etc. ........

#11 ·
I guess they would have squeezed it in if they could! The new full size Discovery in a year two will suit you down to the ground McBat...

#12 ·
I would be surprised if the 5 seat isn't introduced into the UK product offering to create a lower price entry point - think of it as a City X or Popular Plus.. Just a hunch...

#13 ·
Natwest said:
I would be surprised if the 5 seat isn't introduced into the UK product offering to create a lower price entry point - think of it as a City X or Popular Plus.. Just a hunch...
The 5 seat will be along end of the year with the new engines and 2WD, exactly as you say at a lower price point.

#14 ·
Tested middle seat on rear bench. With my 6 feet length, I can sit comfortable with circa 2" headspace. Interestingly driveshaft tunnel is half the size of my Evoque it seems so easier to place your feet when in the middle row. Seems LR has realised that middle console in Evoque sticks too far out to the rear AND... they moved rear ventilation to the doors, see below...

Attachments

#15 ·
Physical rear space isn't the problem. Class leading. No need for rear seat centre armrest - should be 3 individual rear seats all with Isofix to give maximum flexibility on the practicality front. Rear centre seat too narrow for most kids seats too due to seat belt layout in seat bases. Extended test drive booked for the weekend. 2 adults and 3 kids - will post how I get on.

#16 ·
I found the rear was a fab place to sit, reclining comfy seats, plenty of room, ventilation, great view. So much so I was going to spec rear seat heating to enjoy it more!

#20 ·
Mcbatcommander said:
Physical rear space isn't the problem. Class leading. No need for rear seat centre armrest - should be 3 individual rear seats all with Isofix to give maximum flexibility on the practicality front. Rear centre seat too narrow for most kids seats too due to seat belt layout in seat bases. Extended test drive booked for the weekend. 2 adults and 3 kids - will post how I get on.
Will be really interested in hearing your experience.

#23 ·
Guys, I am telling you Cirrus! Ivory is only available on the HSE Lux in The Netherlands and this was a HSE

#25 ·
A simple 7 seater HSE with 3 options costs a stunning EUR 77,000 in NL or GBP 58,250 in real money. That does not even buy you a panoramic roof, no heated seats, heated windscreen or DAB included as standard...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.