Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well *I* consider it a fault.

We were 2 hours early at Dieppe for our ferry yesterday, so I found a nice spot on the cliff edge where we could watch boats and people and stuff and sit quietly listening to our audio book.

But after we'd been sat there five minutes after turning off the engine, the radio went off. Fair enough. I turned it back on - actually I turned on "accessory power" by pressing the START button without pressing the brake. This meant 12v power to our cool-box was also on.

And it went off after five minutes.

So this time I turned the radio on with the "radio on/off" button. A few minutes later I noticed the display showing "system will turn off in three minutes". I could dismiss the warning, but the radio STILL turned itself off. I turned it on again. And yep, a few minutes later I was listening to the seagulls, the waves, and a french bloke being ignored by his dog, but not to my book.

Try as I might, the ONLY way I could find to enjoy un-interrupted audio output from the system was to START THE RUDDY ENGINE and sit there burning diesel. That's eco-friendly!!

As we were not driving along at the time I got the manual out and re-read anything I could find which appeared relevant, and I also dug in all the settings I could find - no help.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Indeed too restrictive. With powerfull batteries it could have been set to "auto-off" after 20-30 minutes or based on a minimum voltage to allow the engine to always have another week's capacity

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marklad2020 said:
Even more annoying - every time I start the car the radio comes ON. I turn it off. Next time it just comes on again. Why assume that I want the radio on every time?
I rather think that 98% of the populace DO. But I guess you could set the default startup volume to nil.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My car went into the dealer a few weeks back for a few niggles. I had the software update, however I find that when I have the radio on all I need is volume set at '1' as by the time I get to '4' I am being deafened. Anyonelse with the software update find the volume control is way too loud!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Going back to the point of the OP.
The battery is as small as JLR can make it with the large loads that modern vehicle electronics require (probably a cost reduction measure).
To keep the battery size down theres clever battery monitoring with measures like automaticaly turning off the radio to avoid flattening the battey. When the charge gets low enough the time gets reduced to 3minutes.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
smayo said:
Going back to the point of the OP.
The battery is as small as JLR can make it with the large loads that modern vehicle electronics require (probably a cost reduction measure).
To keep the battery size down theres clever battery monitoring with measures like automaticaly turning off the radio to avoid flattening the battey. When the charge gets low enough the time gets reduced to 3minutes.
I'd just driven 350 miles across France, no lights on, the battery should've been at it's fullest possible. The radio wasn't turned off because the battery was low, it's set stupid!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Totally agree, it would be more acceptable if it shut down with the rest of the system after 12 mins or what ever it is.
Reverted to listening to the music via the
I phone.

I have spend the last 2 weeks with great gaps in Bluetooth or USB playback which the dealer failed to fix.
Load up takes ages, as does the sat Nav.
The whole media set up is a crock of shite

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moose said:
Totally agree, it would be more acceptable if it shut down with the rest of the system after 12 mins or what ever it is.
Reverted to listening to the music via the
I phone.

I have spend the last 2 weeks with great gaps in Bluetooth or USB playback which the dealer failed to fix.
Load up takes ages, as does the sat Nav.
The whole media set up is a crock of shite
I totally don't mind it turning itself off - but if I turn it back ON, it should stay on, or not go off for at least an hour! Since the car *does* have battery monitoring systems, I would say, actually, taht if I turn it back on, it should stay on until the battery shows signs of running low. Frankly, with a stop/start system the battery must be at least 70aH, and I can't believe the radio takes more than two or three amps, so it should be able to run the radio for several hours before it could possibly impact on the battery having enough to re-start the engine....

·
Registered
172 Posts
ccomley said:
I can't believe the radio takes more than two or three amps, so it should be able to run the radio for several hours before it could possibly impact on the battery having enough to re-start the engine....
If it was just the radio then you may be right, but with modern cars, theres a lot more to power just to be able to listen to the radio, and the OP stated he also had the accessories powered (cool box).

The DS is fitted with whats called BMS ( Battery Monitoring System )
If you were to remove the battery cover under the bonnet you would see a small device fitted onto the Negative ( Black / Minus ) battety terminal.

The purpose of this is for the car to be able to determine the state of the battery. This is monitored by the car.

After a short period you will get a message on the Touch Screen Display saying Low Battery System Will Shut Down In X Minutes.

This message will be displayed in less of a time if the igntion is on.

This is due to the battery not being charged by the alternator, so the power in the battery is being used by the likes of the touch screen display, the amplifier and all the other things within the car which need to be powered up for you to listen to the Radio etc.

All these items that need to be powered up will cause a current drain on the battery and if this was not monitored you would find that the battery would very quickly go flat.

I managed to flatten the battery in my current Evoque (same system), and LR assist when they got it running told me that even after turning the engine off, the shut down procedure means that 30A is being drawn to start with. His textbook adivice was to check the battery again 30mins after turning everything off becuase it took that long before the full shut down procedure had completed.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm aware of teh battery monitoring system. But as you say that causes a specific "low battery warning" in the screen. The book also says the BWS causes staged shutting down of accessories not just blanket turning off of everything.

The coolbox was only running when the engine was - the accessory socket is turned off with the 'mains'. So it was not draining the battery. And we had just driver 300 miles, so whatever else is going on, the battery should've been at full charge.

I really doubt the radio went off for any reason other than some twat has programmed it to do so, irrespective of the activation of the controls.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ccomley said:
I really doubt the radio went off for any reason other than some twat has programmed it to do so, irrespective of the activation of the controls.
I'm quite sure that the engineers that made this decision had a valid reason to do so. I know that JLR is now owned by an Indian company but let's be fair we should be extremely proud of a company such as JLR that still makes their cars in the UK, providing jobs and developing skills for engineers. Just look at F1 and how many of the engineers working for the teams are British, I have no idea how many, but I would imagine well over 50% of those engineers are British. I'm not ranting I just think it s a bit unfair to call these highly skilled engineers t**ts for a very minor issue relating to the radio turning off which annoys you. Many cars I have owned have teeny weeny issues which have bugged me, but I'm sure there is a reason for that annoying little bug. It's life.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't call all the skilled engineers twats, just the one who made this mistake. :) Which is a software issue, really, and if you take a step back and have a good hard look, lots of the IT related bits of the car are the bits that need Quite A Bit Of Work. Basic errors, too, many of them, which point to a failure of the oversight feedback loops.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just a question to help me think about this a bit more - if you, turn the car off > turn the radio on > get out the car > shut the door (with or without locking) - what happens?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lofi said:
Just a question to help me think about this a bit more - if you, turn the car off > turn the radio on > get out the car > shut the door (with or without locking) - what happens?
No eye deer.

If I sit there after stopping, the whole car inc radio turns off after two or three minutes. That's fine.

If I get out, the car turns off *at once* as soon as the driver's door opens. That's fine.

I've not tried getting in, waking it up, and turning just the radio on. Something tells me to expect the same three minute time-out.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Grahamgreen said:
Just going back to marklad2020 quote. It drives me mad that the radio comes straight on! Routine now is press start/stop to turn on engine immediately go to the audio knob and turn off radio. AHHHRRR!
Sad, but you're in the 0.01% of the population who doesn't necessarily want the radio to come on.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you (me, who ever) fitted a split charge system and a second battery - I had one in the D3 which admittedly had a space for it - i wonder if we would get longer with the radio on ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for summing up this issue. I think these features are both very annoying, illogical and un-Germanic. I think LR should issue a fix or at least allow a config option in the menu to switch off these features. My Defender radio stays on for an hour. DS should do better in this respect.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.