Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently looking at a new DS HSE and am interested to hear from those who already own a DS as to what level of road noise I can expect and the ride comfort.

I would go with the standard 19" alloys and my main use would be motorway and A roads.

Anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
126 Posts
l have the HSE with Black Pack, so that means l do have the 20 inch wheels, however the noise level is very low and comfort is fine, you have to remember land rover changed the suspension on the DS, which means greater comfort regardless of what tyre size you have., in the old days, when l had five RRS and a couple of original Evoques, l would of agreed with Scottish Scrutineer, in them days when you had low profiles, a loose cats eye in the road and you could have a bad back for a day or two, but now they have got it right, l have 20 inch wheels, tow a caravan, and enjoy everything about the DS.
regards
tony

·
Registered
107 Posts
Scottish Scrutineer said:
What ever you do, if you concerned about noise and comfort, don't spec 20" wheels and tyres.
Personally I'm not convinced by this statement. I test drove a car for a whole day on a variety of road surfaces on 20" wheels and I was perfectly happy with both ride comfort and noise level. I don't like a soft ride and I do like precise handling so this set up suits me. I'm coming from a car with hardish suspension and very low profile tyres and the DS is quite a lot more comfortable to me.
This of course won't suit everyone so you need a long test drive with the configuration you're considering and decide for yourself.
All that said if your considering anything more that casual off roading then more rubber will be always be better and I may buy a set of 18" wheels with proper winter tyres, we'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - just what I wanted to hear.

I did try an Evoque back when they were launched and was put off by the horrendous tyre noise and hard ride (I was coming from a Jaguar XF which was to this day the most quiet and comfortable car I've driven - hopefully the DS will be just as good).

I'm waiting for my local dealer to get a DS in with the new engine and call me to arrange a test drive....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I should have qualified my comment by saying I had a 2.2 DS on loan for a few days, then had a short drive in an Ingenium engined HSE LUX on 20" wheels, over some familiar roads. I did notice the tyre noise more than on the 2.2 (but that may have been because the new engine is more refined). the ride was noticeably firmer and felt like the tyres were over-inflated in the way they transmitted small imperfections on the road through the car. The Dealer Principal had apparently made similar observations.
I'm not saying the ride was poor, but I'd not specify 20" wheels if I was concerned about road noise or comfort. Stick with the smaller options.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I have the 19 inch wheels, don't notice the tyre noise but wouldn't say it was the most comfortable of rides, my previous car a nearly new Honda crv had 18 inch wheels and if anything the ride was more comfortable than my DS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I test drove an HSE Lux on 20" wheels, and found it very firm, transmitting every bump and ridge. I've just taken delivery of my SE Tech with 18" wheels, and it's much better. There is very little road noise on Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have 20's. Coarse surfaces there is roar, all cars will have over the same surface. I love the ride on my DS. Firm, but connected & comfortable. I can hustle along B roads and she flies and corners almost flat compared to my FL2 which you had to hang on to something as it rolled around bends at speed.

Over a nice road surface at +70mph the DS is very quiet and a fab place to be.

No issues with ride.

As a point, when you start the DS you get a message in my case it says my TPS is set for light load conditions, maybe the tyre pressures on the DS you drove were to high for the load?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
The message refers to whether your car is normally loaded or has more weight in than normal, it doesn't refer to the actual pressure in your tyres. Different tyre pressures are recommended for different loadings of the car i.e. light or heavy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I first drove my 20"s over the slatted tarmac of J8-9 M25 I was a little horrified; so much louder and much more feedback than my previous car (VW Scirocco in Sport Mode on 18"s). But you get used to it. So agree with previous posts - if you are driving rough roads (or J8-9 M25) regularly, then go small...otherwise the 20"s do look pretty cool and I wouldn't swap them for that reason alone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We have 20" wheels and have never felt they are noisy or bad ride. To be fair only gravel roads etc at the moment for the off road part.
You wouldn't notice the speed bumps in this. In my BMW however :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.