Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As delivery time fast approaches for the first lucky few (& perhaps also for some of us who can't extract a delivery date!), some - like me - are no doubt think about what, if anything, should be done to best protect our shiny new acquisitions.

I am 'lucky enough' to share my local roads with a variety of tractors, horses, and drivers who seem incapable of staying off the verges. The consequence is that most of the time the colour of my present Freelander is scarcely discernable from the surrounding mud - every bit a Land Rover!

I would like to do what is cost-effective, and reasonable (life is too short to spend it endlessly washing and polishing) to safeguard the paintwork of my new DS. The cost of professional 'detailing' seems hard to justify and previous investment in paintwork treatment offered with early Land Rovers has shown little tangible benefit. So what to do?

What approach are others intending? Have you had success with particular products - if so which? Is it safe/advisable to apply wax or other surface coatings when the paintwork is perhaps not yet fully cured? Who should do the job - perhaps the co-driver? - after all someone has to supervise! Or is it best just to leave well alone and merely wash carefully.

Hell - the wait is bad enough but then it'll get dirty!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I haven't got a clue to be honest! But someone older and wiser than me and into cars recommended it to me.
I agreed to a Dealer Wax. Expensive I think from memory about £500? I will also intend to get it washed more than my wifes current wheels.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'll probably give it a wax when I get it. Mine's always garaged anyway (not like it's parked in the sun all day) so paint is not something I usually worry about. Dealer paint protection is ridiculously overpriced and no better than looking after it yourself IMHO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have found a company called Polish Bliss to be very good. Depending on the colour of your car different products produce better results. They give great advice over the phone as well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My dealer recommended 'AGlaze' exterior and interior treatment at £315 with a 5 year guarantee and 'no need to top up conservers' every few washes, which most of these products require. Sounds very reasonable for apply and forget.

Never used one of these before personally, as I've used Autoglym products for the past 22 years. Yes you have to re-wax from time to time, unless you seal with their sealant, then just occasional waxing. I intend to do the same on my DS. I find it satisfying as I don't miss any area, but you never know how well others will apply wax or treatments.

However, my wife's 2013 Scenic has had Diamondbrite exterior and interior treatment and it definitely works, though you do have to reapply sealant conserver every other wash - which is a nuisance, as you're washing the car then washing it with the top up solution, then rinsing and drying off, which makes it very time consuming! Happy enough though, as we got it free as a goodwill gesture from Renault UK and the Dealer, and they had to do it twice as they sealed in marks from bird droppings the first time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wax the car with Autoglym HD wax, two bucket method or snow foam for general cleaning, spray with Autoglym Aqua Wax after each wash (to keep wax topped up) and dry with microfibre cloths.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sadly I spend a lot of time keeping my cars clean and I have used a range of products. For the DS when it comes I will prep the paint with a snow foam pre-wash, two bucket wash, treat paint with IronX, panel wipe with Isopropyl then apply Gtechniq EXO and then probably Soft99 Fusso, which is a type of synthetic wax that is very long lasting and unbelievably hydrophobic and basically very little sticks to it. Makes the car very easy to clean in future. To get the longevity with all these sealants, like the stuff the dealer will sell you, you have to properly prepare the paint. This takes time and care, and unfortunately those doing it at the dealers will not spend the time necessary on the preparation. For the £500 the dealer charges you can get the car professionally detailed. To do it right you have to remove all the residue from the factor protection stickers, all the industrial fall out from outside the factory and picked up as the car is transported, all the polish containing filler that has been applied to try to mask the swirls etc. Anyone ever seen a double deck car transporter going down a tree lined country lane? Would make you wince.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It amazes me how little protection LR put on their cars. When you see VWs on transporters they are covered in white wrapping.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What I would like to know is why some cars on a transporter are fully covered, whilst most are not.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Some have really expensive cars on them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Totally speculative but possibly there is a £60k threshold, below and no cover, above and you get a cover?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nothing to do with the position on the transporter?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
No they where all Discovery Sports you could tell by the shape and position did not seem to make a difference the covered vehicles appeared at various places.

·
Registered
12 Posts
xxtrail said:
My dealer recommended 'AGlaze' exterior and interior treatment at £315 with a 5 year guarantee and 'no need to top up conservers' every few washes, which most of these products require. Sounds very reasonable for apply and forget.

Never used one of these before personally, as I've used Autoglym products for the past 22 years. Yes you have to re-wax from time to time, unless you seal with their sealant, then just occasional waxing. I intend to do the same on my DS. I find it satisfying as I don't miss any area, but you never know how well others will apply wax or treatments.

However, my wife's 2013 Scenic has had Diamondbrite exterior and interior treatment and it definitely works, though you do have to reapply sealant conserver every other wash - which is a nuisance, as you're washing the car then washing it with the top up solution, then rinsing and drying off, which makes it very time consuming! Happy enough though, as we got it free as a goodwill gesture from Renault UK and the Dealer, and they had to do it twice as they sealed in marks from bird droppings the first time.
Hi, can you tell me which dealer you've had the £315 recommended by as I've been quoted £500 for AGlaze by my dealer. I'm sure they buy it in for peanuts anyway but an extra £185 appears harsh.

·
Registered
562 Posts
No point in putting these coatings on crap paint.

Yes, dealer products cost usually about £50 and they charge hundreds for it. Save your money, or get it done professionally.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Groova,

Dealer is Roger Young at Saltash, Cornwall.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've bought some GTechniq leather guard, or whatever its called. Its the first time I've had a light interior, so will try this stuff see how it goes.

Looked at a few other things on their site for the exterior. The shed is full of lotions and potions for cleaning, I go through phases, using bit hamber at the moment but will give GTechniq a try.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Bought the same stuff and also some rain-repelling window sealer...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts