Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Car washing question… what’s on your must have list of products and equipment

I’d like to preserve my paintwork and shine as best as possible on my DS. Any thoughts and recommends for car cleaning kit? Also is it okay to go to local drive through hand car washes?

I live in small town and park on road and plan to take my DS to the petrol garage for a jet wash. Getting the jet wash out at home is a faff! But I’ll use it to get the worst off if I can’t get to the garage within a reasonable time.

Before I picked the car up it had a good valet they’d done a great job. Four weeks on and 500 miles of long motorway driving in the hard rain and marshes, the water is still beading up on the bonnet.

I’d like to keep this up but haven’t a clue whether Meguires, Demon, Auto or something more like Sam’s is suitable for a DS. Some YouTube time and online research and I’ve gone from a wash and max combo down the rabbits hole of citrus washes, clay bars and ceramics. (Although I wouldn’t apply that myself due to no current knowledge).

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
981 Posts
I use a mixture of Meguires and Autoglyn to keep mine clean. I use snow foam via my pressure washer plus I use waterless wash for between full washes. Every 6 months I claybar the entire car.

Reactions: GetGet

·
Registered
401 Posts
Autoglym conditioning shampoo, dry with microfibre towel (no rubbing), then Greased Lightening "Showroom Shine" (even though they say you can use it without water wash!) and, every 6 months or so, a coat of Fusso Wax.
I have Autoglym Super Resin polish to get off specs of stubborn dirt and Autoglym tar sprt removed when needed (and rewax afterwards)
I use the same shampoo and Showroom shine on the wheels with occasional waxing using Poor Boys Wheel Sealant.
Glass cleaned with the Showroom Shine apart from windscreen that gets Autoglym Fast Glass inside and out

·
Banned
113 Posts
I only do mine Spring/Late Summer, the Winter I don’t bother with as it’s well protected through to the following Spring, so just let rain and snow (and HS2 mud) do it’s thing. For what it’s worth, regimes as follows:

Spring

AutoChemex Snow Foam (note: this is a professional Trade product, and will strip any protection previously applied to painted and protected surfaces.
AG Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo x 2
Full Clay Decontamination using either AG Clay and Rapid Detailer, or Farecla Clay Mitt
AG SRP
AG Extra Gloss Protection (EGP)
AG Car Glass Polish (outside only) AG Fast Glass (inside)
AG Alloy Wheel Seal

Interim:

AG Polar Blast (Snowfoam - won’t strip protection)
AG Polar Wash x 1, AG UHD Shampoo x 1
AG Fast Glass (inside/outside)
AG Polar Seal (once a month only)

Late Summer

As Spring routine, with the addition of the following:

2 weeks after AG EGP protection is reapplied, apply AG HD Wax to all painted areas, including Alloy Wheels. Don’t do it any earlier than this, as one is a solvent and the other is a wax, so will not benefit you at all.
Use the Microfibre used to remove HD Wax to buff over all Glass areas (thank me later) but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use this cloth on the windscreen. (Use Rain-X for this area)
Use Methylated Spirit or AG Fast Glass to clean Wiper Blades.

And that, is that! Leave the rain to do the rest, unless you are bored or car is exceptionally dirty, in which case just wash as normal.

Simples!!

·
Super Moderator
631 Posts
Hmm I just take the car to a touchless car wash and hand wash the area under the spoiler before going. Car looks brand new after 5 years.

·
Banned
113 Posts
We don’t have the luxury of touchless car washes over here. We have Romanians and Kosovans, both of which are renowned for using hydrochloric acid and pan-scourers to clean your paintwork.

If you trust any of them, you need a lobotomy!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dragon’s breath wheel cleaner but will be changing back to Bilberry when I’ve finished this lot

Cherry snow foam then supermarket wash/wax shampoo with lambs wool mit

Lots of micro fibre cloths and Autoglym rapid wax to dry ( Don’t get wax on windscreen )

McGuire’s tyre gel to finish tyres

use Autoglym showroom shine for plastic inside and Mr Muscle glass cleaner inside

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all this has been really helpful. I’m pretty set on avoiding the drive thru mechanical and hand car washes.

I’ll grab the McGuires wash & wax for my first jet wash and ask Santa for a car wash kit. I’ll look at the suggestions above.

Possibly a range from Sam’s detailing to look at

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only do mine Spring/Late Summer, the Winter I don’t bother with as it’s well protected through to the following Spring, so just let rain and snow (and HS2 mud) do it’s thing. For what it’s worth, regimes as follows:

Spring

AutoChemex Snow Foam (note: this is a professional Trade product, and will strip any protection previously applied to painted and protected surfaces.
AG Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo x 2
Full Clay Decontamination using either AG Clay and Rapid Detailer, or Farecla Clay Mitt
AG SRP
AG Extra Gloss Protection (EGP)
AG Car Glass Polish (outside only) AG Fast Glass (inside)
AG Alloy Wheel Seal

Interim:

AG Polar Blast (Snowfoam - won’t strip protection)
AG Polar Wash x 1, AG UHD Shampoo x 1
AG Fast Glass (inside/outside)
AG Polar Seal (once a month only)

Late Summer

As Spring routine, with the addition of the following:

2 weeks after AG EGP protection is reapplied, apply AG HD Wax to all painted areas, including Alloy Wheels. Don’t do it any earlier than this, as one is a solvent and the other is a wax, so will not benefit you at all.
Use the Microfibre used to remove HD Wax to buff over all Glass areas (thank me later) but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use this cloth on the windscreen. (Use Rain-X for this area)
Use Methylated Spirit or AG Fast Glass to clean Wiper Blades.

And that, is that! Leave the rain to do the rest, unless you are bored or car is exceptionally dirty, in which case just wash as normal.

Simples!!
Is there a quick way to clay bar and decontaminate the cars surface? Prevention and a buffering pad attachment on a drill? YouTube suggests th clay bar step is a task to be done carefully by hand with your diamond gem inspection glasses on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dragon’s breath wheel cleaner but will be changing back to Bilberry when I’ve finished this lot

Cherry snow foam then supermarket wash/wax shampoo with lambs wool mit

Lots of micro fibre cloths and Autoglym rapid wax to dry ( Don’t get wax on windscreen )

McGuire’s tyre gel to finish tyres

use Autoglym showroom shine for plastic inside and Mr Muscle glass cleaner inside
Dragons breath rating verse’s Bilbery? Any pros and cons on the products?

·
Banned
113 Posts
Is there a quick way to clay bar and decontaminate the cars surface? Prevention and a buffering pad attachment on a drill? YouTube suggests th clay bar step is a task to be done carefully by hand with your diamond gem inspection glasses on?
You can’t rush a good job. A decent clay mitt will speed the process up, but a bar and plenty of time is the only way to get the paint properly prepp’d.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dragons breath rating verse’s Bilbery? Any pros and cons on the products?
The smell 😉…… personal preference really

1 - 13 of 13 Posts