Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping that some of you might be able to offer some advice. I need to know whether or not I'm over reacting. We ordered our DS HSE on 30/6/15 and were told that delivery could be Oct / Nov. At the time of ordering we were told that the dealer would 'keep in touch'. We have had a hectic time recently with me having planned surgery and 3 ill elderly parents etc etc so we hadn't really twigged that we hadn't heard from the dealer. So, we were passing yesterday and called in to see if we could find out when our new car was due. Firstly the salesman we were dealing with had left and then when the 'new' salesman logged on to our details we were told that the 'lock down' date had passed on 10/8/15!!!! The 'new' salesman was apologetic and very helpful and sympathetic. We had wanted to change one of the options we had added to the order - to remove 3rd row air con vents and add privacy glass. Apparently we can retro dealer fit privacy glass which they have agreed to fund. We might ask for this to be changed to dealer fit window blinds instead. My first question is - does anyone have an opinion as to whether privacy glass or blinds on all rear windows would be better to help keep the rear of the car as cool as possible ( for our dog). My second question is - since the dealer has messed up big time by not informing us of our 'lock down' date - my husband was thinking about changing the colour too- would I be in order to ask for some mats and / or mud flaps and / or load liner too? I would really appreciate your advice. Many thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can always ask, but if I understand you, they're going to fit privacy glass at their expense, so you're doing OK. The lock down date seems very early for an October/November delivery, but I wasn't informed of the lock down date for my order, and I didn't expect to be - I think I would have just accepted the situation if I'd asked to change the spec and they'd told me I was too late.
I would have thought that the window blinds would be better than privacy glass, unless your dog wants to become a drug dealer, but with the panoramic roof, I wouldn't leave a dog unattended in a DS for any length of time either way.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I agree with Gordon, unless they specifically said (you will need proof) that they would inform you of lock down date then you have done well getting the privacy glass which I would have instead of blinds. As he said dogs shouldn't be left in the car (illegal) and the aircon in the car is very effective and will keep them cool as it does mine. Panoramic roof not an issue as it has a blind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. We never leave our dog in the car when it's warm, never mind hot. She doesn't like being left anyway so she's usually with us. We were thinking more about keeping her cool while we are travelling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gordon said:
You can always ask, but if I understand you, they're going to fit privacy glass at their expense, so you're doing OK. The lock down date seems very early for an October/November delivery, but I wasn't informed of the lock down date for my order, and I didn't expect to be - I think I would have just accepted the situation if I'd asked to change the spec and they'd told me I was too late.
I would have thought that the window blinds would be better than privacy glass, unless your dog wants to become a drug dealer, but with the panoramic roof, I wouldn't leave a dog unattended in a DS for any length of time either way.
We have been given a delivery date of the end of this month.

·
Registered
533 Posts
One word of caution.
The sun blinds are made of a gauze material.
Ideal for claws to scratch at/get stuck in.
All depends on the temperament of your pooch!

BB

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd dig my heals in!
If you weren't informed of a lock down date then the obligation is upon them, and not you, to ensure you are aware of this.
I'd threaten to cancel my order, however you will be delaying your car and I suspect a dealer will have no hesitation having a Disco Sport in stock.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
They have NO obligation to inform you of lock down, I have NEVER been informed on any of the cars I have bought. It is your responsibility to find out the date if you think you may want to change the spec of the car after you have agreed it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Strange, most dealers state a final date where the car is spec amendable.
I've ordered quite a few cars in my time, and every dealer (representing various manufacturers) that I have dealt with has provided me a final amendment date.
To me, it sounds as if the dealer has dropped a ball when the former salesman departed.
The order was placed sometime in June and the customer was informed that the 10th August 2015 was the lock down date when they enquired, which obviously was after the 10th August. So surely the dealer an obligation to make the customer aware that the specification was amendable up and to a fixed point? If not, why wasn't the order locked down in June?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
The car is allocated a build slot in June and the final date of August for changes is because the parts are ordered from the suppliers then in order to be supplied for the build slot.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Seems strange, my Discovery 4 is due at the dealers in a couple of weeks but I changed my order two weeks ago and that was the absolute final day.

Unless your build has been brought forward, it seems a bit early to be locked.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Politely, I think you (Philn) are wrong.
I'm going through the exact same thing as my black HSE Lux has been purchased back by the supplying dealer due to build issues.
I will now be ordering a new 2.0 model but am phoning around to see who has spec amendable allocation.
Most dealers have sold their spec amendable slots, but one advised me that they had a spec amendable slot for build mid October (for delivery early November), and the spec could be amended up to three weeks prior to its schedules build date.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
82TLT said:
Politely, I think you (Philn) are wrong.
I'm going through the exact same thing as my black HSE Lux has been purchased back by the supplying dealer due to build issues.
I will now be ordering a new 2.0 model but am phoning around to see who has spec amendable allocation.
Most dealers have sold their spec amendable slots, but one advised me that they had a spec amendable slot for build mid October (for delivery early November), and the spec could be amended up to three weeks prior to its schedules build date.
That's exactly the same as the original poster on this subject, he was told final date for changes was mid August and he is getting the car end of september so will be built mid september. All slots are spec amendable until they are too near build date to change.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The point I am making is that the customer [as I read it], at point of order, were not informed that 10.08.15 was a lock down date.
It sounds as if they only discovered the lock down date after the lock down date.
If they had known this key date [at point of order] then the burden is off of the dealer and on to the customer.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
82TLT said:
The point I am making is that the customer [as I read it], at point of order, were not informed that 10.08.15 was a lock down date.
It sounds as if they only discovered the lock down date after the lock down date.
If they had known this key date [at point of order] then the burden is off of the dealer and on to the customer.
Totally agree with that but I wasn't informed of lock down date, if I had thought at time of ordering that I was going to change spec the I would have asked and been given the date.
Would be interested to know from other owners if they were told lock down date without asking for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I certainly haven't been given a lock down date, it was quite an effort getting any dates from my dealer! I still don't know the build date, just that it is due to them end of October

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
82TLT said:
You are absolutely correct. At the point of ordering we were told that would be a lock down date but that he didn't know it on the day we placed our order. We were told we would be advised of the date in due course. We visited the dealer earlier on this week and were told the lock down date was 10/8 - which we had obviously missed.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Richie said:
82TLT said:
You are absolutely correct. At the point of ordering we were told that would be a lock down date but that he didn't know it on the day we placed our order. We were told we would be advised of the date in due course. We visited the dealer earlier on this week and were told the lock down date was 10/8 - which we had obviously missed.
Thanks for clarifying Richie, your original post said that dealer had said they would keep in touch not that they would inform you of lock down date.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry my error.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Dealer fit privacy will be a film based on my experience and not as good as factory fit glass - I've had both and will never have film again

Difficult to do much about it now if it wasn't missed off original order you're relying on goodwill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.