Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In The Netherlands by law, the front windscreen and side windows upfront need to allow a minimal of 55% light to come through. Other windows behind front doors can be tinted as much as one likes

I find the standard DS windows a bit light (certainly with Almond, Cirrus or Ivory interior) yet find the Privacy Glass applied by LR to be very dark. As a result I am a bit torn as whether to order Privacy Glass with a Black Pack as I find the consistency between front and rear windows to be lacking...

Can you advice me on:

- How much light do standard DS windows allow to come through? (certainly not 100% as windows are lightly tinted already)
- What is the exact spec (% light that is allowed to come through) of the Privacy Glass?
- Does LR at all offer a choice regarding percentage of tinted windows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I have no clue as to light transmission as a % figure, as a real world user they are dark from the outside, hence the Privacy part ? From the inside however they do let plenty of light through.

Don't forget the Glass roof, which I have in mine, not sure about yours,

I got it on a Corris with Ebony interior. I'd definately get it on a light interior.

As for specing various shades, I think you are into Autobiography territory, isn't that what they call Solar attenuating glass?

Personally, I'd have privacy no matter what colour car, and the fact that you are having black pack makes it all the more appealing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
In The Netherlands by law, the front windscreen and side windows upfront need to allow a minimal of 55% light to come through. Other windows behind front doors can be tinted as much as one likes

I find the standard DS windows a bit light (certainly with Almond, Cirrus or Ivory interior) yet find the Privacy Glass applied by LR to be very dark. As a result I am a bit torn as whether to order Privacy Glass with a Black Pack as I find the consistency between front and rear windows to be lacking...

Can you advice me on:

- How much light do standard DS windows allow to come through? (certainly not 100% as windows are lightly tinted already)
- What is the exact spec (% light that is allowed to come through) of the Privacy Glass?
- Does LR at all offer a choice regarding percentage of tinted windows?
Why not just get aftermarket tinting? That's what I'll be doing. You can get exactly what you want & it's much cheaper too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ozsport, would you apply the same transparency to all windows including front windscreen? Never had privacy glass before so was personally looking for a quality job and visually no (hardly) any difference between front and rear appearance of windows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Quick test with a Sekonic photographic light meter, shows following results (all at same ISO and shutter speed and roof closed):
Outside right: f14. Outside left: f10
Inside front right (clear glass) f9 (so 1.0 stop down - I think that is approx 50% of outside light)
Inside front left (clear) f6.3 (so 1.3 stops less - just under 50% of outside light?
Inside rear right (privacy) f4.0 (3.3 stops less than outside - is that about 10% of outside light?)
Inside rear left (privacy) f2.8 (3.7 stops less than outside - so under 10% of outside light?).

I think I am right in saying that a reduction of one stop equals half as much light (certainly true as far as the light onto the film/sensor is concerned, so should still be true when applied without a sensor involved!). No doubt it is for JLR to comply with the in-country requirements of light transmission etc.

I had after-market tinting on my FL2 (added when bought 2nd hand) - was a bit cheaper than the factory privacy glass on the DS and indistinguishable from the factory version despite being a film that was added.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
Thanks Ozsport, would you apply the same transparency to all windows including front windscreen? Never had privacy glass before so was personally looking for a quality job and visually no (hardly) any difference between front and rear appearance of windows
I will just tint all windows the same as I think it looks better anyway, but check your in country laws on window tinting to make sure that's legal. Keep in mind after market is a film that is applied to the window as opposed to coloured glass, so it might look quite different even if you theoretically get the same darkness.
Personally I prefer the UV and heat blocking properties of a metallic film as well which is important in a sunny climate such as where I live (privacy glass does not reflect heat & UV the same way).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Aftermarket tinting = film on your current windows that will not last forever, they faint and cheap ones tend to change in purplish colour.
Due to legal/ visibility issues you will not be allowed to put any aftermarket tint film neither on your windscreen nor the front windows. (at least in Cyprus) Imagine how hard will be to view through them at night.

Your best bet is OEM privacy glass and don't get bothered in colour matching between front and rear windows, you will get used to them, i am telling you from experience. Back in the days I tinted all windows of my Celica because I liked it that way, and I was not aware of the law. After driving at night, I removed the tints myself from front windows, and I got used to the colour mismatch very quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Am I reading this right ? You are actually wanting to Tint your front Windscreen ?

I thought you were asking about Privacy 'V' none privacy on a DS,

I had window tint film on my D3, that's why I made sure I had it from the factory on this one. It peels, it bubbles, it scratches, it's not on my DS !

There was a whole list of kit that wasn't on my D3 that I made sure we're on this. A tinted windscreen wasn't one of them,

Might as well go the whole 9 yards and tint the headlights,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Sorry I didn't notice Kaikoura mentioned the windscreen. Certainly I would never tint the windscreen and it's not legal anyway, I was referring to all other windows :) @ano, quality aftermarket films (eg 3M, Bolle, etc) should not fade or deteriorate and usually come with a lifetime warranty. I've had pretty much every car I've owned professionally tinted and never had a problem... but then I don't buy the cheap rubbish from an auto store and try and do it myself ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Always get the factory fitted privacy glass. Why would you penny pinch less than £100 and go for film on a £40k car??????!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Triple7 said:
Always get the factory fitted privacy glass. Why would you penny pinch less than £100 and go for film on a £40k car??????!!
Why would you pay for a half finished tint job :p
There are some things I buy factory options and some things I don't. I want UV & heat reduction for myself and my passengers - even those in the front seats, and I think it looks better. It's just my personal preference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
The Law in the UK prevents us from tinting the front drivers & passenger glass.

Not only is it dangerous (especially at night) and during our prolonged winter months it also helps the Police identify the driver of the vehicle.

Over here it's not so much the Suns blistering heat that we are trying to hide from, but if you are driving round in a pimped out ride chances are your up to no good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Haha fair enough. In Australia all windows (except windscreen) can be tinted but must allow a minimum of 35% light transmission. Most privacy glass does not meet this requirement (it's normally closer to 20%) but for reasons I am not entirely clear about, it seems to be overlooked on factory privacy glass applied on imported vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
ozsport said:
@ano, quality aftermarket films (eg 3M, Bolle, etc) should not fade or deteriorate and usually come with a lifetime warranty. I've had pretty much every car I've owned professionally tinted and never had a problem... but then I don't buy the cheap rubbish from an auto store and try and do it myself ;)
Come to Cyprus and park the car in uncovered area, any film will get destroyed pretty soon (they come with lifetime warranty but with limitations ;) )
I got quality 3M film for my Celica and installed it myself since 2008, 7 years after it is still spot on but with minimal fading, my car is always parked in covered area though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ozsport said:
Triple7 said:
Always get the factory fitted privacy glass. Why would you penny pinch less than £100 and go for film on a £40k car??????!!
Why would you pay for a half finished tint job :p
There are some things I buy factory options and some things I don't. I want UV & heat reduction for myself and my passengers - even those in the front seats, and I think it looks better. It's just my personal preference.
Agree, for me it is not a cost issue as quality 3M or Johnson applied film equally costs eur 400+ with 10yr guarantee. The heat reduction of film (small alu particals) is a bonus but above all I want all window to visually match

I found out that LR uses just 20% transparency for privacy glass (looks almost black from the outside) while the standard windows are 80% transparent. I will not apply film to the front windows and likely 62% Johnson film to all side windows and back. The net result is 62% x standard 80% transparency = 50% transparency allround

As the transparency looks "exponential", the 50% results looks "lightly tinted" versus factory privacy glass looks "blacked out"

Just comes down to personal preference I guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Having bought and fitted tinted film to the rear screen and rear passenger windows of my FL1 in 1998, I have to say that it lasted very well and still looked pretty good in 2004 when I traded the car.

It wasn't an easy job to do, but once all air bubbles were removed it looked great. A professional fitter should be very good at this. However, you need to be careful to avoid scratches over the years as they would really show up and look nasty.

Ever since then I've always specified factory fitted privacy glass, and £350 is not too bad a price to pay for it. Every design of car looks better with it IMHO, regardless of vehicle colour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
In my current Evoque, even though I have the privacy glass, I still have to have window blinds for the kids, and the blinds also stop the windows from being opened since they are suction cup fitted to the glass (not sure how the official DS accessory blinds fit).

So why pay £350 for an option that doesn't help me? I might as well save the £350 and use just £120 of that to have all the rear windows tinted dark enough that I don't need window blinds.

For me, it's a practicle choice to go after market rather than factory fit, as I can then get rid of the window blinds and open the rear windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
I think you'll find the standard tinted glass is 70% transmission - this is marked along with the manufacture on the bottom right of each glass
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top