Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in France at holiday and I stopped to wash the car with a pressure wash (by hand). I simply walked around the car spraying the entire vehicle down, nothing unusual like opening the bonnet. When I finished the engine would not start and there were multiple error messages after pressing th Start button (all of them, as far as I could tell!) other electrics seemed to work (radio, sat nav, lights). Mechanic checked that it wasn't a dead battery, eventually managed to clear most of the faults but disconnecting battery and holding the pos and neg contacts together to 'reset' the system according to him. All faults cleared apart from a check engine error, so even though car seemed drivable, LR roadside assistance advised the car be taken to a dealer to review the fault. LR assistance were brilliant, but I'm a little p***ed off that washing this three month old car would trigger such a serious set of faults. I imagine water from the pressure wash got somewhere it shouldn't, but I honestly didn't do anything that I haven't seen the London car washers do countless times. So, anyway, I'll update this board when I know what the LR dealer says, but in the meantime if anyone has had a similar problem with this or other LR modes your advice would be appreciated. Also, as a warning to others- avoid pressure washing the car!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Not a very pleasant situation and let's hope LR can find out what caused it.

Any other members had problems after running the vehicle through a conventional car wash I wonder?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I pressure wash my DS once a week ... never had any problems

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've pressure washed this DS as well! Which is why I'm so surprised, but as the wash clearly triggered the fault, the water must have reached somewhere it shouldn't! My only guesses are perhaps through the radiator grill? Or in through the panel gap between the bonnet and the body.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Please do let us know what LR finally tell you was the problem. Assuming they do.

Pressure washers have their dangers but I would not expect problems with, as you say, spraying the outside of the (closed) car from a sensible distance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What a coincidence! I was in France and pressure-washed my DS, too. The result: water ingress.

I am sending the car back to my dealer today. The passenger footwell was saturated (lots of wires down there). Did you check for water? Initially, I thought it was the A/C, but now I'm not too sure - possibly the air intakes on the side? The water kept swish-swashing around somewhere, and having lifted the fitted carpeting I noticed it trickling down the central cockpit column into the footwell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just a thought, but in searching for a rattle in mine i found the engine fuse box cover was missing. Now the dealer swears it wasn't them that removed it when fixing dpf fault so could it have been missing in the factory?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Benjs said:
Just a thought, but in searching for a rattle in mine i found the engine fuse box cover was missing. Now the dealer swears it wasn't them that removed it when fixing dpf fault so could it have been missing in the factory?
In that case why didn't the dealer notice it was missing when fixing the dpf fault?

·
Registered
50 Posts
ccomley said:
Benjs said:
In that case why didn't the dealer notice it was missing when fixing the dpf fault?
Because apparently that was in the exhaust under the car and they went no where near the fuse box!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.