Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Odd thing happened tonight when leaving work. I was showing a colleague around the car and the tailgate wouldn't open when i first tried the button - I put it down to user error as when i tried again it opened. Anyway, after showing the guy round the car, I start the car, pop it in reverse and drive out of the parking space. I then put the car in drive and i get a amber warning "gearbox failure' ... yikes.

I stopped the car, locked it and let it sleep for 10 mins. On my return the gearbox fault had gone... yippee!!! I drive away and the car is fine until...... i get to a roundabout by my house with traffic lights on red. Car shuts down as it should with stop/start but then gear moved to park, retracted and car engine stopped with same gearbox fault. Restarted car and same gearbox fault is showing but no real effect on performance. I continue in my journey home.

When i get home i have the same problem with the rear tailgate - it doesn't open on first touch nor does it open on the fob. Eventually it does open after about three attempts. I lock the car let it sleep again for 10 mins and hey presto... gearbox and tailgate fault gone. wtf.

I will leave the car until tomorrow but will call LR Assist if it happens again.

Any one else had grelims?

·
Registered
221 Posts
If it was me I wouldn't be waiting for it to happen again. The car has told you on 3 occasions there is a gearbox problem. The fact that it has stopped being a problem (or the car *thinks* it's stopped be a problem) for a while doesn't change the fact that the car has told you that there is a problem, and actually took the gear knob away.

You need to report this, it is not impossible that this problem might occur in a really difficult moment.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tangey,

You're of course correct but i've been here before with Land Rovers - let the car go to sleep and usually the glitches disappear. However, all is not well. The problem persisted this morning so LA are coming out to take a look.

On talking to the land rover assist guy he believes the car may require a software re-boot but will confirm when he arrives. So it looks like the car will go back to the dealers today.

I've been reading the evoque forums there seems to be an issue with software on the 9 speed auto's :(

·
Registered
562 Posts
The faults will be logged, I'd get them read as soon as...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the problem Triple7 - the fault is noted on the display screen but not on Land Rovers diagnostics. LA are baffled. Anyway, the car is now with the dealers to sort out.

Apparently, they will need the car for a week due to them being so busy with gearbox failures ;) They have however, or should i say Enterprise have, furnished me with a courtesy car.... a Mazda - yeeeeehaaaa :shock: They will sort me out a comparable car tomorrow apparently

·
Registered
562 Posts
The worse kind, non-latched faults. :-(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick note to close this off. Ended up requiring a software update all fine and dandy now :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
deehamps said:
That's the problem Triple7 - the fault is noted on the display screen but not on Land Rovers diagnostics. LA are baffled. Anyway, the car is now with the dealers to sort out.

Apparently, they will need the car for a week due to them being so busy
with gearbox failures ;) They have however, or should i say Enterprise have, furnished me with a courtesy car.... a Mazda - yeeeeehaaaa :shock: They will sort me out a comparable car tomorrow apparently
Just collected my partner's 3 week old Evoque from the dealers after it exhibited a gearbox fault message and then eventually refused to move. Dealer never seen the fault before and had to get LR technical to sort it. After 2 weeks decided that it was a pressure sensor on the gearbox and a wiring harness fault. Harness and sensor changed and seems ok now. Interesting thing is this is the second gearbox harness swap I know about, again on new cars. Is it a QS fault with the harness suppliers? Reason for posting is that our DS's have the same gearbox and harness. I've had no bother to date.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts