Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am being stoopid, but has anyone else noticed that the map in the Sat Nav does not show Place Names, like the names of towns and cities.......
You can specify the names of RIVERS!! but not towns, apparently. Is this a Landrover thing? Take the river crossing?
Joking aside, am I missing an "tick box" option somewhere?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've just asked the same or a similar question on a recent sat nav query...

I've used the nav without really having an issue for the last 3 or 4 weeks... but mostly to known destinations mainly to gauge arrival times etc..

But at the weekend I was following it and was taken on a route through unknown roads - I wanted to get my bearings and know towards which local towns I was headed and yet I couldn't because i was in the middle of the country side and no road signs.

As you say the simple ability to have the place names shown would have helped - like every other sat nav I've ever used...

Is there a better version of the map?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi all,

Had an incredible response from Pete @ JLR today about the lack of place names, where he states that the DS Sat Nav was not intended to do this! I just wonder who at JLR thought that a navigation product was acceptable without place names, but river names was a selectable requirement....along with various Industrial Estates!

Truly unbelievable....please feel free to Tweet this into the press for those in the Twitterati...

Cheers,

b1ggles2

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi b1ggles2,

Thank you for the email.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the Sat Nav system that is provided with your Discovery Sport.

I can confirm that at present the Sat Nav system provided with your vehicle is not intended to show place names. However, having noted your concerns I have taken the opportunity to pass on your feedback to the product manager for the Navigation and Infotainment systems for consideration regarding future development and updates.

I am unfortunately unable to provide any further information at this time regarding future development, but can assure you that customer feedback is greatly appreciated as we look to continually improve the design and features of our products.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your comments.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Jones

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
As a good friend of our would say "I can't believe it" or to quote Craig "a disaaaster darling"
Let's hope there is somebody out there who can change this and pretty quick.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Nice to hear from a namesake.
The info makes the "official" reply from Pete even more unbelievable. Reminds me of left hand/right hand.
But seriously JLR need to get this sorted especially in view of the somewhat boastful statements they have made in their press releases about the advanced satellite-navigation features.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chippy911 said:
Re-flash means to overwrite the memory of an updatable component such as a BIOS chip.
Chippy911, The Sat Nav we all have at the mo, do you thing it can be changed to say a garmin or only the one it was built with, if it was just a case of changing card, that would be great.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Good question merctony but to be honest with you I just don't know but I rather suspect not.

The card is passing its output to other parts of the system and they would presumably have to be able to talk to, say a Garmin card and this, is suspect, is where the problem would be.

I don't even have my DS yet so can't even try it out but perhaps somebody else can.

Incidentally the press release talks about "customer updatable maps" whatever that means.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chippy911 said:
Good question merctony but to be honest with you I just don't know but I rather suspect not.

The card is passing its output to other parts of the system and they would presumably have to be able to talk to, say a Garmin card and this, is suspect, is where the problem would be.

I don't even have my DS yet so can't even try it out but perhaps somebody else can.

Incidentally the press release talks about "customer updatable maps" whatever that means.
To be honest, why did't they just give us what's in the Evoque, when l had mine back in 12, it was a good and simple to use system, this one, oh boy just loves to take you a merry ride, if it can fine a narrow road, your going down it, You can press fast, Eco, or anything else, if there is a narrow one within five miles of destination, it just wants to take you down it, Took the wife to St Mary yesterday, just by Sidmonth, took me off at junction 28, thought to myself at the time, very strange, should be 29, however for the process of test this crap, l will go with it, well the first 10 miles were fine, nice A road all the way, then out the blue she spoke, the dreaded word turn right, oh christ here we go, and did't we go, mile after mile of single track, pull over, stop, reverse, close your eyes, l had all that, best part, when we come home from St Mary, straightforward A road all the way to the M5. The system is so bad, l have today put my good old friend the mio in the glove box, how sad on a 44000 pound car. now is the time when you notice the tata imput...
regards
tony

·
Registered
741 Posts
merctony said:
Chippy911 said:

To be honest, why did't they just give us what's in the Evoque, when l had mine back in 12, it was a good and simple to use system, this one, oh boy just loves to take you a merry ride, if it can fine a narrow road, your going down it, You can press fast, Eco, or anything else, if there is a narrow one within five miles of destination, it just wants to take you down it, Took the wife to St Mary yesterday, just by Sidmonth, took me off at junction 28, thought to myself at the time, very strange, should be 29, however for the process of test this crap, l will go with it, well the first 10 miles were fine, nice A road all the way, then out the blue she spoke, the dreaded word turn right, oh christ here we go, and did't we go, mile after mile of single track, pull over, stop, reverse, close your eyes, l had all that, best part, when we come home from St Mary, straightforward A road all the way to the M5. The system is so bad, l have today put my good old friend the mio in the glove box, how sad on a 44000 pound car. now is the time when you notice the tata imput...
regards
tony
Tony - day two and we went to Chartwell from Maidstone. M20, M26 turn off onto A25 all good then...5 miles of car width single lanes. Car scratched (now polished out). Have never been there before so 100% reliant. On way back took me on M25 and M20 to get back to Dover rather than A25, M26 and M20. On way back from Holland we had it set to fastest and it wanted to take us on the 180km motorway route to arrive at 2030. I went main road and once it realised it finally took 60km and 30 mins off! Could well be back to Garmin on the windscreen for those really unknown places.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
@chippy72

Any chance you could post some pictures of your updated/reflashed Nav system as I am confident that there are many out there that would benefit from this update. Just a shot showing the Place names on the display and then if you would be so kind to let us know who is your dealer so our dealers can get with the programme!

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

b1ggles2

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Chippy72 said:
I had mine re-flashed at the dealer, the infotainment system and now the sat nag has place names! Worth a phone call
Did they actually flash the unit, or just change/update the SD card?

·
Registered
166 Posts
driving South yesterday, realising place names would be useful as trying to navigate around traffic jams.. no place names except for Nottingham. If the systems isn't supposed to display place names as Pete says, why was Nottingham even shown? I found the updating of street names alongside the motorway seemed to slow up the display too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Latest from Pete @JLR after I sent a response to his first email....basically asking whether JLR would be supplying 2015 AA paper road maps so that DS owners new which towns they were passing.... :)

Dear b1ggles2,

Thank you for your reply.

The Satellite Navigation system fitted in your Discovery Sport has map data supplied by HERE, who are one of the leading mapping and navigation data suppliers. I have noted your concerns and as previously advised, I have passed your feedback on to the product manager for Navigation and Infotainment systems, I will also pass on your additional comments.

I can confirm that the Guy Salmon Ascot retailer did raise an ePQR on the 21st May regarding your concerns.

I have taken the opportunity to discuss the matter further with Guy Salmon Ascot who have confirmed that the system is operating as expected and has been compared to like for like vehicles.

Land Rover will however continue to listen to customer feedback to provide enhancements and improvements to our vehicles and the functionality of the systems they are supplied with.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Jones

1 - 19 of 19 Posts