Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here so first of all hi everyone!

I've ordered my phoenix yellow DS with 19" black pack yesterday. I liked the way it looks on the photos from different car shows I found on the internet, for example:

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive design

But then I came across these real life photos in normal light:

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Grille

Automotive parking light Wheel Water Vehicle Tire

And the colour looks totally different. It's not as metalic as on the car show photos. Looks like a solid colour to me. Has anyone seen it live? Or even better: has anyone seen both phoenix orange and firenze red live and could give me a hint if these two colors are similar in terms of vividness, depth, reflections etc.?

I've seen firenze red with black pack at my dealers and it looks good and reflects lights as a metalic paint should:

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

so I thought that phoenix yellow would look even better, more joyful, more like a fun car, but now I'm having doubts.

The big problem of choosing colours is that different photographers take photos in different light and then even photoshop them so in the end the colour you're looking at on the screen is totally different from the colour you buy in the end :/

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
I saw one in the flesh and was very disappointed by the colour.
It was very flat and lacked the wow factor completely.
I said as much to the LR dealer who agreed....

·
Registered
829 Posts
Potatoe Farmer said:
100% agree with PF. I was tempted to buy mine in Phoenix Orange and totally expected a vibrant deep metallic bursting orange. It is NOT. It is indeed orange but seems to be a non-metallic colour and strangely flat. Also didn't reflect light as nicely as any of the metallic colours.

No hesitation in saying Firenze Red (preferably with Black Pack) has much more of a wow factor and changes colour through the seasons

·
Registered
796 Posts
Phoenix orange only looks good in the brightest sunlight much like my barolo black which was also a premium colour ... my car looks black normally

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not seen the Phoenix in the flesh at all, but have seen Firenze with and without black pack in the showroom and on the road, and it looks fabulous. I'd suggest that the Orange is a 'fad' colour and will look dated quickly. The Red is very suited to the car and desirable IMHO.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Clearly, if you want some strong views, ask the DS Forum guys!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Potatoe Farmer said:
I bet if the next customer said it was a brilliant colour, the LR dealer would also agree!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beast said:
Seriously, Kia make their Sportage model in that colour (which is orange to me in all the photos) in the UK and a glance at any of the Kia forums will alert you to how ghastly people regard it here.
My doubts started when I saw the Kia in that colour yesterday on my way home. Just an hour after I've sent signed order to the dealer :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've seen one in the flesh and I was disappointed, it looks a lot more washed out than I expected, I thought it would be in your face bright. I didn't find it horrible just not as vibrant as I hoped.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Alaska said:
I'm new here so first of all hi everyone!

I've ordered my phoenix yellow DS with 19" black pack yesterday. I liked the way it looks on the photos from different car shows I found on the internet, for example:

This picture looks photoshopped. The alloys look very fake, and the front quarter underside bumper looks fake. If that's true, the rest of the "photo" must be deemed unreliable.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Weird thing is, also the YouTube video gave the impression of a much more vibrant colour orange. I have seen the colour both in day light and at a car show and it looked....completely different. Maybe the video and photos were of a pre-production car with custom paint job?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Saw one on Weds at Ridgeway in Oxford. It does need bright sunlight to show the metallic particles otherwise it's like the Ford ASBO orange!

It's not a car colour that encourages you to be inconspicuous that's for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beast said:
Alaska said:
Beast said:
Seriously, Kia make their Sportage model in that colour (which is orange to me in all the photos) in the UK and a glance at any of the Kia forums will alert you to how ghastly people regard it here.
My doubts started when I saw the Kia in that colour yesterday on my way home. Just an hour after I've sent signed order to the dealer :)
Interesting you should say that as I just copied an image of the Kia, which, to be fair doesn't look too bad. In the flesh though it is not anywhere near as attractive.

As said, I wouldn't want to offend or influence you by imposing my opinions, but you clearly are unsettled. It cannot be too late to change the colour on your order if you feel inclined?
I saw the red firenze with black pack at the dealer and I liked it, but then I saw the photos of the orange from the car shows and I liked it even better.
But yesterday I saw the orange Sportage and my first thought was: this Kia's orange doesn't look good in real life, what if DS's orange is the same? So I did some additional research and found some photos in daylight and it looked nothing like the car show photos. The strange thing is there are no bad looking photos of the car show model. Maybe it's as KaikouraDiscoSport wrote: the car show model had a custom paint? Or they are all well photoshopped.

Anyway after reading replies of people who saw phoenix in real life it seems I can't get DS in the colour that is shown on the first photo. I can only get the flat, non metallic version of it and that is something I don't want. Luckly I have time until next friday to change the colour on my order and I think I'll go for firenze red with black pack.

On the other hand they are messing with us quite a lot regarding the looks of the car. Is it me or the wheels are photoshopped to look bigger?
Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately not possible, no phoenix orange in 500 km radius. Land Rover is not the most popular car in Poland so the dealers don't keep many cars on stock, especially they don't keep unusal coloured cars.

But I've seen the firenze red and I liked it, so I think I'll have this one. I'll sleep on it over the weekend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.