Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could see I was not going to make it home on what was in the tank so I came off the M4 at Swindon and asked teh satnav for the nearest petrol stations.

It listed about 15. Esso, BP, and Asda. No Sainsbury's, Tescos, or Shell.

Now I *know* there's a Sainsbury's petrol station just up from the junction wehre I came off the m/w coz we used it! It's actually easier to get to than the Asda one.

So - who accepts the bribes for being allowed to appear in JLR's satnav? And how much is the bribe if Shell and Sainsbury's declined to pay it?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Never noticed that, when I get back home I'll check our local retail park.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was initially merely surprised that a town the size of Swindon would have no Shell stations. But not totally unreasonable, I know of areas where such happens. I only care as I get "points" for shell, sainsbury's or tescos but don't collect others, so I favour those of course, that's why they give points. And I won't pay MORE to get the points, this is one reason I have an app on my phone to tell me the location AND prices of local petrol stations. Which Liz whipped out and declared the Sainsbury's that wasn't on the satnav to be cheapest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How frustrating this is for us, the customers!

I guess the simple story is that they will accept commercial propositions for listings within the sat nav programme, which, with a commercial hat on, is fair do's.

BUT it is the driver who ends up frustrated.

If JLR really wanted to be leading edge on customer satisfaction, they would change the process and allow all fuel companies to be listed FOC.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Really? So does is say on POI "Selected petrol stations from our sponsors..." Very annoying if you are desperate for fuel. My 12 year old OEM navteq DVD system does better than that... although equally annoying shows stations now closed down of course, hence buying a new car :)

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Just checked sat nav on meridian system and both tescos and sainsburys petrol stations are listed on poi's, not sure what fuel they sell.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I don't.

Am wondering if I should put my garmi back in. Pity JLR saw fit not to provide a 12v accessory socket anywhere near the dash.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Techniician says it's a setting. OK, he can show me the setting when I swap back to my car. For now, I have an HSE Lux whilst they tinker with mine, and I can report, it does the same thing. https://www.dropbox.com/s/t58f57nh7y53oqm/2015-09-01%2014.01.31.jpg?dl=0 shows the sat nav telling me about an Esso 40 yards away, and another a mile away. Through the window, you can indeed see the Esso... and just beyond it across the road, an Shell!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi All,

The Sat Nav data is provided by 'Here' who are part of Nokia. They have a dedicated site where they do provide support and functionality regarding providing feedback and updating for the mapping data they supply. Additionally they are the leading Automotive mapping data provider.

For details on Map updates as well as the manufacturers that use the map data provided by 'here', please visit Navigation.com

Many thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi All,

The Sat Nav data is provided by 'Here' who are part of Nokia. They have a dedicated site where they do provide support and functionality regarding providing feedback and updating for the mapping data they supply. Additionally they are the leading Automotive mapping data provider.

For details on Map updates as well as the manufacturers that use the map data provided by 'here', please visit Navigation.com

Many thanks,
Pete
Hmm. Lots of folks claim to be the "leading" data provider. I guess it depends how you cut your cloth.

Thanks for your feedback - can you translate that into, WHY only certain brands of petrol statoin appear in the list and what can be done to put the rest in place? I heard tell if I had a h/d satnav it was upgradable but as I have the SD-card unit, that it isn't? That seems a bit odd as the SD card could easily be popped in a laptop....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just had car back from dealer after having autobox and satnav/audio updates. No change to satnav as far as I can see. I asked about lack of place names and poor route types. The dealer said that they had numerous reports from customer highlighting the issue but they could do nothing -- the system is as it is. They did say that they have raised a customer concern report to JLR. From previous experience with motor manufacturers I don't hold out much hope!
The auto box seems better though!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.