Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Had a lapse of concentration and tried to fill up the disco's tank with petrol instead of diesel instead! The safety flap activated but apparently looks like I may have put in at least 2 litres (may have spilled on the ground due to the flap? Not sure). But filled up the rest with diesel once I realised. Asked a couple of mechanic friends before I drove off who said it should be fine if it's only a tiny amount.

Did I do the right thing to drive off?? Will be kicking myself for being so foolish for the next few years!

Thanks.

Rav

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rav,
I can't say for sure, and it is just anecdotal, but I have heard of other people doing similar and diluting down the small amount of petrol with a full tank of diesel seems to deal with the situation. We had a spate at work of people filling up various makes and models of cars with petrol instead of diesel when the fleet switched to diesel. Most were full tanks and then the engine turned over and run. This destroyed a few BMW 530d's. A close friend and colleague of mine had a Renault Megane that he quarter filled with petrol then filled the rest of the tank with diesel. He admitted it ran a bit "lumpy" for a few miles but, after running the tank down for another two refills he said it was running fine! He only admitted to it after the Megane was shifted back to the hire company! As to the long-term effects I'm not sure. I'm thinking it can probably cope as if it had just had a poor batch of fuel.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have also heard people who have put very small amounts of the wrong fuel in, filling up with the correct fuel and driving off with no apparent problems, that's not to say it's right or that they did not have issues in the future.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Max 2ltrs in 60ltrs of Diesel, should be fine, but I would keep topping up to dilute further. Normally it is the seals which the petrol effects.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My old man used to tell me that they would mix a small amount of petrol in with diesel on truck engines to make them run better during colder weather. With modern engines I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing this but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

Will keep topping up. Just hoping that none actually went into the tank!

Is it still worth draining it, given that I have already started the engine?

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you have only put in a couple of litres of petrol in a tank full of diesel, then don't worry!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.