Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better photos as car is now clean!

Standard UK HSE, debadged, rear Discovery writing converted to black and colour matched grille and side fender trim (total price £100). Too wet/cold at moment to re-attached LR badge in the grille to complete.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Plant Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
looks great. are you not planning on placing the "Discovery" back on the hood? I wish in US we didn't have to have the ugly yellow reflector in the head lamps. look so much cleaner without in your photos.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disco said:
looks great. are you not planning on placing the "Discovery" back on the hood? I wish in US we didn't have to have the ugly yellow reflector in the head lamps. look so much cleaner without in your photos.
No -never!

It has been the first thing to come off my last 2 RRE's. I took them off my last FL2 (white) as during the winter they just kept streaking dirt and looked crap. IMHO the lettering just looks cheap and nasty and generally isn't even chromed like German rivals. Also the quality of the stick of LR badges is shocking - I literally twisted them off a wiped off the stick. A BMW or Merc needs a good couple of minutes of hairdryer first and plenty of alcohol rubs for the residue.

All personal taste I know, and all my cars are de-badged (for a cleaner look rather than any snobbish type reasons before you ask).

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have black lettering on black car which looks good ... any other combination I think I would have debadged all except the landrover badging .. have changed the sport to black lettering which now matches the font of the discovery lettering

·
Registered
677 Posts
Personally I would take the DISCOVERY lettering off the back looks out of place with the rest rebadged, overall though looks good.

I prefer the badged look, saves people asking me what it is :lol:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Photo-shopping would suggest it just looks to plain. Saw an RRE in the flesh where all badges and lettering had been removed and it just looked wrong.

Hey it's all personal taste but thanks for the positive comments.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How did you colour the grill, side vents and letters?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lofi said:
How did you colour the grill, side vents and letters?
Fender trim (10 secs per side):
Slide a blunt thin flat bladed knife between the he side trim and the wing. Start top corner by the door end. It is held in by four delicate clips. One broke on each side but a dabbed a bit of glue on the back when re-attaching for safety. One of the instant resin repair bond glues you get in a DIY/harware shop is perfect.

Grille (abour 30 secs for the grille and 1 minute for each of the silver trim strips):
As described in the handbook to replace a bulb in the headlights, I popped the four clips along the top of the grille/scuttle panel and then gripping each bottom corner in turn, pulled/jerked carefully each corner from it retaining clip on the bumper. Experience tells me you can exert alot more force than you think before the grille is damaged. To save spraying costs I then removed the two silver grille panels from the black surround (less to paint. If you are doing this then the two ends and bottom of the silver grille trim is clipped in and the top lightly glued and bonded so you will hear the odd crack as the two pieces of trim seperate - just go carefully. When I put it back together I just put a couple of dabs of superglue type glue where the old bonding stuff was but it isn't really necessary as the clips hold the trim in place. The LR badge was heated out using a hairdryer but damaged beyond repair (I will replace with the one off the boot) but I think it would be possible to leave in place and mask if I were doing it again.

Letters:
Normally a hairdryer to heat the letter/badge and then twist off or pop off with say a thin piece of card/plastic scraper or fishing line. In the case of the LR, the SPORT and the SD4 HSE badges/letters twisted off. I heated the LR badge and twisted. The bonnet letters just popped off without heating and a thin plastic scrapper behind made of rigid laminated card (I don't recommend with colours other than white or silver as you may need to polish minor scratches afterwards and this will not work on Fords, BMW, Mercs and Skodas as they have alot more "stick" to their letters/badges).

To get the alignement right when replacing letters I use the following method:

1. Tear a strip of masking tape and place flush under and above the letter.
2. Using a pen mark the alignement of letter on the masking tape.
3. Heated the letter for about 20 secs on full power with a hairdryer.
4. Pop the letter off.
5. Use a dab of meths/alcoholic wipe and a cloth to remove any residue of 3M tape from the old letter on the bodywork.
6. Align and stick new letter.
7. Repeat.

NB: Put the new letters in the right order in the casr/on floor before attachement or you might end up with a VERYDISCO: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3095041/Porsche-911-owner-distraught-gets-100-000-motor-garage-renamed-PORSHCE.html

As I said the I removed the letters without heat by sliding a piece of laminated card behind each one. I was then able to rub the 3M tape residue off before dabbing bit of meths over the are and sticking the new ones on. Once you have done the first letter and get the hang of it then it takes about 1 minute per letter to do.

No one has yet noticed that the DISCOVERY letters on the back are from a DS4 :eek: :eek: (about a tenner in postage on flee bay). They are slightly bigger and thicker than the originals and seem to have alot more "stick" than the originals.

I didn't want anything radically different, just that it looked a bit more co-ordinated as JLR seem to have a habit of 2 or 3 different trim colours and 3 or 4 different badge fonts/colours on their cars which I personally find very irritating (but accept most are quite content with). As I said it's all personal preferance so no criticism inferred of those who prefer the OE look. :D :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for that - its a really handy reference piece - did you spray paint all the parts, and if you did what type of rattle car spray did you use?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lofi said:
Thanks for that - its a really handy reference piece - did you spray paint all the parts, and if you did what type of rattle car spray did you use?
My local bodyshop did it for me. Just asked for a bog standard high gloss black and it is a perfect match!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DiscoSyd said:
Is this any different to a black pack?
Well, it only cost £100 and I could have had the wheels sprayed for £300, so yes and no.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I like the look of the mesh style grill on the new Dynamic, one of those would suit your motor very well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is almost the same as the one I have on order, but I have gone for the Yulong metallic white... Seems to be quite a rare colour choice. Popped into Stratstone Cardiff on Saturday as I hadn't actually seen the colour on a car yet... they have a RRS in Yulong in the show room, and I have say it looks first class, absolutely bob on for my tastes... looks a little silver from some angles, then gray, then white... going to look amazing when the sun is shining...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.