Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Thanks Hal a good find, as you say not sure if it would affect warranty but wouldn't have thought so. Think I will continue pressing the off button each time I get in the car but I invariably forget until it cuts out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is summat i will be looking at next week when i get to drive mine. Bloody hate stop / start lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am of the opinion that if you disable stop start you should pay the higher road tax / BIK that would apply with the feature not being enabled ;)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I fully agree Natwest. If it's switched off it has a clear negative effect on emissions which is why it's there in the first place. I just cannot understand the fuss about this excellent feature. Modifications as described in the Evoque link would surely be not condoned by JLR. I've had it on numerous earlier vehicles and truly miss it on my FL2. Can't wait to get it back on my new DS.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Just another thought. The vehicle received it's homologation with this feature so it follows that if it's removed he vehicle loses this. No homlogation means no roadworthyness means no insurance cover (worst case of course). Perhaps it's worth thinking about this.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Chippy

Wait until you get your DS before making your mind up, I don't mind stop start but when it comes on IMMEDIATELY the car comes to rest I find it dangerous at junctions, roundabouts etc, if there was a delay of a few seconds it would be o.k..

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hello philn, Thanks for your advice but I think we already spoke about this in another link and my mind is already made up.
I've already driven two different demonstrators with the feature and both performed very well with NO IMMEDIATE CUT OFF. So I suspect there is another software problem here.
Messing about with the system can certainly not be the solution and there is no doubt that, at least here in Germany, it would mean the vehicle no longer being lawfully on the road. You wouldn't get it through the MOT, nor would the dealer accept any responsibility, nor would you have valid insurance cover. It may well be different in the UK I don't know but I expect so.
As somebody said different countries, different legislation. Quite rightly you have to deal with the UK situation, I and a lot if others with the situation they have where they are.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As the brakes bed in and there is more play in the pedal you will find you are able to control the stop/start by how much pressure you put on the pedal, it is a bit of a learning curve but worth persevering with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@Chippy911:
I do not see how NOT having start/stop makes the vehicle illegal. Do not overcomplicate things.
If this second 'eco' battery died surely it does not render your car illegal, doesn't it?

I wonder how much headache start/stop would give us in future - starting / stopping engine all the time can not be good for the engine/starter...
Does anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Chippy

Car booked in for dab issue on 1st May, have asked them regarding disabling stop start and they will advise about any repercussions.
Will ask about trying another DS to see if there is an issue with mine cutting out immediately.

Regarding wear on engine I am more concerned with wear on starter motor,

·
Registered
381 Posts
I beleive there is a separate starter motor for the stop/start system.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hello gene,
I'm not over complicating things but clearly stated what the situation is in my market. If it's different in the UK it doesn't interest me. If the second battery dies then it would be up to me as the owner to get it put right within a reasonable amount of time. There are other people reading this forum who may be in the same situation as me and it may interest them as well.
Other companies have been using start/stop for a number of years and I've heard of it causing engine damage after all it's part of the designed system.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is taken from the XF stop/start description which I assume is the same on the DS

"Having come to a halt and shut down the engine, the Intelligent Stop/Start system is able to restart smoothly in less time than it takes for the driver's foot to release the brake pedal and depress the accelerator. It does so by utilising a Twin Solenoid Starter (TSS) mechanism that features its own secondary battery to ensure that in-car systems requiring power are not affected. The unique advantage of the TSS system is that it is able to restart the engine even while it is still in its run-down phase, allowing for 'change of mind' functionality, for instance if the car is coming to a halt at a junction but then a gap in traffic appears"

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for Bosch link Chippy; very interesting reading. All these fancy electronics are the main reason I wanted the Ingenium engine as they have a real impact on everyday performance

1 - 20 of 39 Posts