Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An alarm (red warning light) has just popped up on my display.
The alarm is entitled "Pedestrian protection system".
I called Land Rover and they gave me the stock response that i would need to book in for a diagnostic for £204 for them to look into it.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and what potentially may need to be done to rectify it?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
496 Posts
Going to post the obvious, if you are paying for diagnostics it's a good bet that your car is no longer in warranty, so I would find a local LR independent garage and halve the diagnostics cost. Pedestrian protection system sounds to be the airbag on the bonnet. That huge grey piece of plastic on the bonnet is actually an airbag - jet washed it recently?, or have the wires connecting it been damaged?

Problem is even investigating any bad connections to airbags means that the battery should be disconnected or you risk it going off in your face.

Reactions: EllJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to post the obvious, if you are paying for diagnostics it's a good bet that your car is no longer in warranty, so I would find a local LR independent garage and halve the diagnostics cost. Pedestrian protection system sounds to be the airbag on the bonnet. That huge grey piece of plastic on the bonnet is actually an airbag - jet washed it recently?, or have the wires connecting it been damaged?

Problem is even investigating any bad connections to airbags means that the battery should be disconnected or you risk it going off in your face.
Thanks for the feedback. Sadly, this isn't the first time the warning light has been raised - and previously LR did the diagnostic reset and returned it to me. Just feels like a money making scheme for them! Good point tho - need to find a good local independent...

·
Registered
496 Posts
obviously I wouldn't recommend this but ------
Lets say you have a golf / Audi and the wiring to the seat is giving problems - as often happens when two drivers use the car and the seat is constantly being moved to suit.
If you put a 220 ohm 1/4 watt resistor across the airbag sensor wiring and disconnect it from the seat then the airbag system is a happy bunny, do a reset and the issue is fixed permanently - no MOT failure for warning light, no display nagging - but obviously the side bolster / seatbelt pre-tensioner is disabled.

If it were me - and it's not, I would measure the resistance of the disconnected airbag, install a suitable resistor until the parts came from land Rover to effect a permanent fix.

Just remember all airbags are explosives, get it wrong or play with a live system and it could literally go up in your face.
You will still need a means of resetting the airbag light - relatively easy on pre 2019MY cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts