Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've developed a maddening rattle and i'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

Worst thing is it only happens in the morning on my drive to work so i'm always on my own and its not easy to identify exactly where it is while driving.

The sound is like a metallic rattle or something hard rattling against something of a similar construction (eg two hard plastics).

Factors in the morning are:

It cooler (but this doesn't start until i've gone at least 10 miles up the motorway and then won't stop at any speed)
I park outside over night on the drive which slopes to the passenger side (grasping at straws this)
The M5 to work is mostly uphill in the morning (again not sure if it a factor but worth a guess)
It has always gone by evening (after parking on a level, being warmed through the day and heading home down hill)

I have got it booked in to the dealers but they can see it for 3 weeks and we are using it for a family holiday in 10 days time!

·
Registered
796 Posts
See the b pillar thread

·
Registered
796 Posts
The rattles you mention are talked about in that thread also

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi, that's exactly what I had front left - couldn't pin point it. Dealer said fixed 3 times, including the Bodyshop having a go at something. They often found something else that needed rectifying in the area but never the fault causing that annoying noise you've posted. Mine would sometimes be there and sometimes not, but also the frequency wasn't related to a rough road. Dealer kept trying to test on rough roads and I said it was clearer on smooth. It would sometimes tick away like that at walking pace and seemed more to do with a rattle at certain engine revs. Unfortunately I have no good news, I sent mine away still having the issue.

r.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UZU said:
The sound is exactly the same as the dreaded b pillar rattle..... 82TLT do you agree?
I had that too! That has now been 'cured'. This however still persists and is definitely from the A post (possibly from the back of the door hinges)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rtdf said:
Hi, that's exactly what I had front left - couldn't pin point it. Dealer said fixed 3 times, including the Bodyshop having a go at something. They often found something else that needed rectifying in the area but never the fault causing that annoying noise you've posted. Mine would sometimes be there and sometimes not, but also the frequency wasn't related to a rough road. Dealer kept trying to test on rough roads and I said it was clearer on smooth. It would sometimes tick away like that at walking pace and seemed more to do with a rattle at certain engine revs. Unfortunately I have no good news, I sent mine away still having the issue.

r.
Hazzar its not just me then. I have exactly, and I mean exactly the same as you describe. The only thing is if i flex the door back and forward i can sort of recreate the noise too. I hear it most at low speed over speed bumps or parking on a curb or full lock maneuvers. It can then disappear for days only to then happen for the whole of a 4 hour drive! I think it could well be to do with the door flexing something in the A post and that certain flexing motions of the car set it off until it settles down or moves said part. The only thing i can say is, if they don't get to the bottom of it this time mine will be going the same way as yours.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good luck. I know they tried all sorts to try and diagnose and that's with over 300 miles of test drives. Whilst the B pillar seemed to only occur on warmer days, there was no pattern to the front left as I had it in cold and hot conditions and whether the car had been left out or garaged overnight or in the sun all day. It seemed to stop doing it when I took the LR technician for a test drive but he found other things instead.

Door hinges is interesting. Some thought they could hear it around the air vent above the glove box, others said it was down below, and thats fairly obvious from your video either that or its a good soundtrap from behind the glovebox etc. I guess they've had your video?

Will be interesting to see what it is/was if they can resolve it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Goodness, did you have the weld repair done on the b pillar? Just asking as mine due to go in next week...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rtdf said:
Good luck. I know they tried all sorts to try and diagnose and that's with over 300 miles of test drives. Whilst the B pillar seemed to only occur on warmer days, there was no pattern to the front left as I had it in cold and hot conditions and whether the car had been left out or garaged overnight or in the sun all day. It seemed to stop doing it when I took the LR technician for a test drive but he found other things instead.

Door hinges is interesting. Some thought they could hear it around the air vent above the glove box, others said it was down below, and thats fairly obvious from your video either that or its a good sound trap from behind the glovebox etc. I guess they've had your video?

Will be interesting to see what it is/was if they can resolve it.
I'll keep you posted. Be good to let them know it isn't just mine too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They found a loose cable in my door and reattached, sadly that wasnt my problem it was the b pillar, but maybe as you say you have had b pillar done, maybe it is something as simple as that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Loose cable is a possible, but surely would be consistent when it happened. It's definitely not B pillar as this was done and it's so loud in the footwell that it's up the front. The glove box was the first thing I emptied I'm afraid :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
My cable in the door wasnt persistent? Are you lucky enough to have the third row seat rattle too? :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.