Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an intermittent rattle from the glove box/upper trim area of the passenger side of the car, it would come and go and seemed temperature dependant.

Here is my 5 minute fix to cure it, you need no tools but will need a piece of compressed foam or something similar, I used some 19mm thick pipe insulation cut to size.

1) Picture one show the area the rattle comes from, with the trims in place it is hard to locate so first remove the triangular cover from the curry hook. This is just held by clips get you fingers behind the front edge of the trim and give a sharp pull.

View attachment 1034

2) With this cover off waggle the trim as indicated, you should here the noise coming from lower down where two pieces of plastic meet, if you shine a torch down you will see where the one piece seems to hook into another, this area was the problem on my car. Rather than remove loads of trim I decided to stop the one piece from flexing.

View attachment 1091

3) To stop the flexing I inserted a piece of foam between the trim and the black plastic duct, once in place waggle again and check the rattle has stopped, then clip back on the triangular cover, test drive your rattle free car!!

View attachment 1092

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
My drivers side has also been done

·
Registered
353 Posts
You really shouldnt have to be doing this with a £40K car! I expected this when I owned a Vauxhall VX220 - that was purely because it was a bone rattling speed machine - this is a luxury SUV!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rickyk74 said:
You really shouldnt have to be doing this with a £40K car! I expected this when I owned a Vauxhall VX220 - that was purely because it was a bone rattling speed machine - this is a luxury SUV!
I agree but you do get a sense of achievement it it fixes your problem ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discoloz said:
Rickyk74 said:
I agree but you do get a sense of achievement it it fixes your problem ;)
I can wholly appreciate that and agree - plus it saves an unwanted trip to the dealer where you are likely to lose it for 2 days whilst they figure out how to fix it - and for it then to be returned with a scratch on the interior trim :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
:( nope that wasn't it. On the plus side i may have found out where it is :) If i open the passenger door and rock it between part open and fully open it produces a metallic clicking sound from inside the a pillar (have taken a video but no idea how to attach it here). Now this sound is very similar.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sound sounds a bit like the B Pillar rattle, have you tried some WD40 on the plastic slider and door hinges?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you narrow down where the noise is coming from?

Is it a hinge, the plastic slider, the metal flexing on the A pillar, where the hinge connects to the door or pillar, once you have you will be closer to finding a solution ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discoloz said:
Can you narrow down where the noise is coming from?

Is it a hinge, the plastic slider, the metal flexing on the A pillar, where the hinge connects to the door or pillar, once you have you will be closer to finding a solution ;)
It doesn't sound plastic, more metallic or even something hard rattling against metal. The sound is either in the a pillar or under the dash up by the windscreen area. I have noted that the bonnet release cable runs up through here so that could be a culprit.

More mystifying is the 'when' it happens.

Only in the morning, only after i have driven approx 1 mile to the motorway and then approx 10 miles up the motorway.

Doesn't get made worse by bumps, but the rougher the road surface the worse it is.

Needs to be over 30 ish mph

Its something percussive so its got to be vibrating, but other than i park on the drive at a 15º angle overnight nothing is done different to driving it home. Only changing factors are temperature, more up hill than down. And if it was the angle i park at why nothing from start up?

Really confused

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Rickyk74 said:
I didn't think the VX *had* any trim or stuff which could rattle! :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
ccomley said:
Rickyk74 said:
I didn't think the VX *had* any trim or stuff which could rattle! :)
:D very true, but we had to replace the door pins that some kind chap machined and sold on eBay to stop the doors rattling, you had to get the windows adjusted every year or it leaked when it rained (I always had to put a shower cap on it when I didn't have the hard top on it and knew it was likely to rain). And don't even ask if you could hear the radio, let alone a stand alone sat nav when you put your foot down (at least mine had place names so I could see where I was going :lol: ) Great car though, and really got the looks!!!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Rickyk74 said:
Great car though, and really got the looks!!!!
I fancied one but I doubt I could've got into it with the roof on! I'm non-petite. I can just about strap on the SLK.

So I had an Astra Coupé instead - huge fun. And trim. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well it's booked in on the 19th so Listers can have a look, but it went a bit more bizarre this morning.

Hadn't rattled in a couple of days (as it was warmer in the mornings i presume) but this morning back it was. Had a good old listen, but still unable to pinpoint the source as wrong side of the car.

Anywho nearly at work, and i had gone a slightly different way in as holiday traffic means it's quicker. This one involves coming off a dual carriageway down a fairly steep slip road to an island. On the slip i had to pull up a little sharpish as the guy in front apparently wanted a two car length gap to get a run up in! After this NO RATTLE!!!! Literally as quick as that and it stopped. It will be back again after a night on the drive in the cold and heading up hill to work, but whatever it is just needs a jolt forward and down hill to stop it

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sounds like someone dropped a bolt or clip during assembly

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well its finally been found and fixed. It was a torsion bar under the dash that should have a 5mm gap at the A pillar. Mine had a gap of 10mm, they have adjusted it and the rattle has gone. Finally/.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh gosh... you saved me!!
I suffered from the area rattle for almost 2 years.
My car was at the bodyshop twice for this issue.
Saw this post and did the same. Fixed in 5 minutes.

Thank you thank you!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just shoved a load of bubble wrap in mine. Tried tightening all the screws in the area by a quarter turn last week and had no affect. Fingers crossed for the buble wrap. Might not be firm enough so may pop down to B&Q to get some pipe lagging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.