Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I try to back up (or even going head in) for parking and have the parking sensors on, I always feel that they react rather slow to changes in the environment. Sometimes I back up (or go forward) into a parking space, stop because I see that I'm too close to something, and then the radar starts beeping. Usually it goes straight from no beep to constant beep, which seems to me that it's too slow to detect the obstacle at moderate range.

Also, under what circumstances does the top down view radar graphics (not the surround camera view, as I didn't get this option) come up on the screen? It comes up a few long seconds after I switch from reverse to drive when parking, but I can't seem to get it up if I don't go to reverse first.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Good question, one of my front sensor came up on the screen when I turned onto the drive this evening, I can only think I was close to the caravan tow hitch, but you are right is saying it seems a little bit delayed

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I thought the front sensors only worked when you select reverse or press the sensors on button on dashboard not automatically.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have no idea :D it may help if I read the handbook, my forward sensor rightly or wrongly went off , just one segment ,as I pulled onto the drive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
philn said:
I thought the front sensors only worked when you select reverse or press the sensors on button on dashboard not automatically.
Yep this is how it's supposed to work and I can confirm that's how it works on mine. It is a little slow to respond sometimes but I put that down to the Australian spec glitches which are supposed to be fixed with a software update shortly - maybe they're always that slow though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I find that they aren't as responsive or have as much range as sensors I've had on other cars. I've got used to it now and take a little more time in parking especially when going forwards into spaces as the lag could easily catch you out and the first sound you'd hear would be a crunch and not a beep.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If I've backed into the garage, the next day when I come out and drive forward out of the drive, without having been in reverse, I get the parking sensors alerting me to the various bushes/hedge/corner of house etc so I don't know if it had some memory that it was on or something makes them alert whilst going forwards but mine definitely do it..

·
Registered
53 Posts
After my wife 'parked' our DS into the wall of our carport, I can certainly confirm that the front sensors need to be switched on (or reverse gear selected) before they alert you.

An expensive way of finding that out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Radds said:
After my wife 'parked' our DS into the wall of our carport, I can certainly confirm that the front sensors need to be switched on (or reverse gear selected) before they alert you.

An expensive way of finding that out.
Ouch!
It does make sense that you need to turn it on though - otherwise it would be forever activating in peak hour traffic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I may prove myself wrong but so far I believe that both my front and rear parking sensors are always on and do actually detect obstacles. I cannot now recall whether I selected an option within the main menu to make them operational but I certainly do not switch anything on regularly to make them work.

That said I would agree that they do seem to have a very short range - far less than on previous Landrovers. I frequently find that, particularly when parking towards say a wall, I discover that I have stopped far too far short in the belief that the sensor hasn't activated. If I then trust the sensor and edge further forward they do sound. I guess this is just getting used to judging where the bonnet ends on a different car but the sensors do seem to be a bit slow which requires a slow approach if crunch is not to come before beep!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I would be nice to know the operation distances at which they are set - Pete are you out there?

G

·
Moose said:
Good question, one of my front sensor came up on the screen when I turned onto the drive this evening, I can only think I was close to the caravan tow hitch, but you are right is saying it seems a little bit delayed
Moose - you will find when you tow your caravan all the lights are on. Something to do with the daylight running lights.

I noticed on my caravan front and rear lights are on all the time you are connected - being fixed fixed next Wednesday. I think this has been covered somewhere on the forum

·
Registered
270 Posts
Moose said:
I would be nice to know the operation distances at which they are set - Pete are you out there?
I'm sure I read this somewhere (maybe the manual - can't recall) but I think it's something like 500-400-300mm where 300mm gives you the continuous beep & closest red bar on the display

·
Registered
270 Posts
Whilst I'm on the topic of parking sensors, does anyone know if the volume is adjustable? My volume is substantially louder than necessary and I would like to be able to turn it down a bit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ozsport said:
Whilst I'm on the topic of parking sensors, does anyone know if the volume is adjustable? My volume is substantially louder than necessary and I would like to be able to turn it down a bit.
I believe it's in the settings -> system -> volume, there are a bunch of different volumes that you can adjust and I *think* parking sensor is one of them.

PS: While I appreciate the thought that these radars could be useful in offroad situations and come on automatically in offroad modes, they are friggin annoying when they constantly think tall grass are walls.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have to say, as well as Mrs Radds using the front wing to try a sample of Corris Grey on our carport wall; I've had a couple of really near misses going backwards.

Nothing nothing nothing BEEEEEP with about two inches to spare.

I know I've got three mirrors, a reversing camera, and the ability to move my head but after driving a car for six years with reversing sensors which invariably actually worked, you get used to relying on the technology.

That also explains why I recently reversed a golf buggy into a tree.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Radds said:
That also explains why I recently reversed a golf buggy into a tree.
I trust you took a penalty shot for improving your lie. :D :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Rear sensors on mine are very good, along with camera. Fronts seem hit and miss when approaching my closed garage door. Sometimes they work VERY well and other times they don't sound off at all and no graphic display either. The fronts do sound off if I get too close to shrubs when reversing off of my drive. Didn't know you could switch the fronts on and off though. Is that in a menu somewhere or a button?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.