Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please comment the pros and cons of the panoramic roof? Also is this standard with the HSE? Cause the dealer told me that I need to pay extra EUR€1,000 for it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
In the UK its standard on HSE/Lux models. I've never had one before, we opened the blind on my test drive and it lets an amazing amount of light in.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Great amount of light; really only reason to buy. Do realise that it is more for the rear passengers than driver since pano roof only starts behind your head
Looks slightly less coherent when closed compared to aluminium roof
My experience on Evoque is that temperature is an issue for me; quickly hot in summer and glass radiates cold in winter
I did not order one for this reason and also find the look of the aluminium roof nicer. Finally some 30kg weight in the wrong place which has some effect on cornering

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any more feedback for panoramic roof? Does it look good? I am afraid to get it due to the heavy summers we get here in Cyprus (around 40s for over 2 months). Do you think it allows more heat inside compared to the normal roof? How about noise and insulation?

·
Registered
78 Posts
thois said:
Any more feedback for panoramic roof? Does it look good? I am afraid to get it due to the heavy summers we get here in Cyprus (around 40s for over 2 months). Do you think it allows more heat inside compared to the normal roof? How about noise and insulation?
We ordered one as an optional extra and certainly love it so far. It looks no different than a solid roof on street level unless you are very tall! From an interior point of views it allows plenty of sunlight through and definitely kept my two kids very interested. I don't think there would be much difference between the two but I haven't done or seen an acoustic test / survey so I am not very scientific here. As for overheating, we have yet to experience Spring yet let alone Summer in the UK... so very hard to comment but I assume it could be a possibility but it does come with a electronic blind which should ease any excessive heat into the cabin if closed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It makes the inside light and airy. As the driver I'm fairly neutral on them but I had the same in a Ford Kuga and without exception rear seat passengers loved it

·
Registered
166 Posts
I probably wouldn't put one on spec if not included. Had one on BMW and nice enough for passengers to look through, but not an issue for me. I often kept the blind closed in winter, well, it was more than a blind as there was noticeable cold with it open. I would open blind once car had warmed. I did have black interior completely, so it did offer some light over depressing black. It was a heavily tinted screen so passengers didn't complain so much from sun glare

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Have one in my crv and can't remember last time I had the blinds open, will get one on my new car but if it wasn't standard probably wouldn't have ordered it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Conversely, I can't remember closing the blinds on the pano roof in my E class Merc that I ran for 10 years; the mosquito net on the 2 part pano roof in the FL2 was mostly closed but that lets light through. Blinds mainly open so far on DS - seems dark when I closed it! Pax in back love it open. Maybe in UK summer it may have to close to prevent overheating on the three Hot days we are promised! Don't anticipate it being an issue generally.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wanted it as its good for birdwatching. Gives a light airy feel but it will be sometime before brits can comment on sun effect! With my black roof lining it looks very gloomy in comparison with the blind closed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It was not on my essentials list and wouldn't have ordered it, but as it was standard on the HSE, so be it.

Having said that, I absolutely love it. All the more as it doesn't open, just lets light in. Nothing to eventually leak or rattle. :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's optional on Oz spec vehicles but I ordered it primarily for the kids. I haven't met a kid yet who doesn't love a sunroof :) From the preview day as well it does really lift the interior and its cool being able to see the high rises in the CBD.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thois said:
Thois did you order the sunroof in the end? The dealer here in Cyprus is quite negative about it, but friends that have sunroofs here on other cars seem to love theirs.
I'm also undecided whether to order this extra. I'm a big fan of a light interior and I'm planning to go for the cirrus trim ( kids footprints included) and the thought of having light flood in from above sounds very tempting, plus it could probably double up as a great surface for a fry up on those summer picnics ;-p
To those that have it, can you adjust the electric blind so it stays slightly open, or must it either be fully open or fully closed?

·
Registered
741 Posts
My first Evoque had one of these. Great on a sunny winters day, but we closed the blind in late April and after a brief bit of October being opened it got closed. It was either like a green house or freezer depending on the sun or snow. Complete dead loss as it didn't open. I do not want one on my forthcoming DS but it is forced upon me on a UK car :( whereas a head up display or adaptive cruise control would be nice (Pete I hope you are listening....)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Same here, had it open on day 1, it has stayed shut since. As i am quite tall and going a little thin on top the last thing I want is a magnifying glass on my scalp.

·
Registered
385 Posts
as everyone stated it's standard for HSE model in US as well. I think it looks really good with the black roof because the roof uses a giant piece of privacy glass. my only wish is that it would be cool if they made it openable. either way, I know my baby girl really loves it. every time she gets in the car, she points to the sky.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lucky said:
thois said:
Thois did you order the sunroof in the end? The dealer here in Cyprus is quite negative about it, but friends that have sunroofs here on other cars seem to love theirs.
I'm also undecided whether to order this extra. I'm a big fan of a light interior and I'm planning to go for the cirrus trim ( kids footprints included) and the thought of having light flood in from above sounds very tempting, plus it could probably double up as a great surface for a fry up on those summer picnics ;-p
To those that have it, can you adjust the electric blind so it stays slightly open, or must it either be fully open or fully closed?
Hello Lucky, still undecided :) dealer is indeed negative due to the heavy summer in Cyprus.
I will have to test it before ordering.

·
Registered
829 Posts
BFGDSMan said:
My first Evoque had one of these. Great on a sunny winters day, but we closed the blind in late April and after a brief bit of October being opened it got closed. It was either like a green house or freezer depending on the sun or snow. Complete dead loss as it didn't open. I do not want one on my forthcoming DS but it is forced upon me on a UK car :( whereas a head up display or adaptive cruise control would be nice (Pete I hope you are listening....)
Exactly the same for us on our RR Evoque. When I paid EUR 1,200 for it, I thought to have the blind open all the time...not ordered on HSE DS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts