Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since a few days, I have my P300e. But I don’t succeed in using my (5y old) wallbox to charge it. After a few seconds the fuse (16A) of the wallbox turns off, so seeming that the car asks too much elektricity.
I changed the settings in the car (deep under in the menu: app - navigation - charging) to accept a minimum charging of 3kw, checked all boxes at the right of accepted cables, but still don’t succeed in charging with the homecharger.
With the other cable, on a normal socket, it works fine (but slower of course)

The homecharger worked perfect with my X5 40e for 5 years. Only difference that the X5 could charge at max 3,7Kw, and the DS at 7,4Kw

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have a car that is trying to charge at 7kW on a charger with only a 16A fuse, that’s your problem

It needs a minimum 32A fuse and appropriate gauge cable to the charge point

You simply have an inappropriate charge point set up for your current vehicle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a car that is trying to charge at 7kW on a charger with only a 16A fuse, that’s your problem

It needs a minimum 32A fuse and appropriate gauge cable to the charge point

You simply have an inappropriate charge point set up for your current vehicle
I guess that’s the case indeed, but I thought I could fix that with the settings, not sure what tghe goal of that setting is to choose minimum loading speed.
Last year I had a temporary car from the dealer, a full electric BMW I3, same probleme, but after changing the settings in the car it worked,

·
Registered
169 Posts
There’s no possibility to set the maximum unfortunately, only the minimum is possible…
Then that’s not the setting you need! Seems weird that there is a minimum charge load rather than maximum. On other PHEVs I’ve seen, the setting was to set the maximum current draw usually for this exact reason.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then that’s not the setting you need! Seems weird that there is a minimum charge load rather than maximum. On other PHEVs I’ve seen, the setting was to set the maximum current draw usually for this exact reason.
I know, that’s what e.g. the I3 has and solved the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Think you should not try to limit the current from the car. I think it will adjust to what it is told that it can use. Think you should change in your charger the maximum it can deliver. At least that’s what i do with my zappi charger…. and with load balancing i can also make sure the main fuse won’t blow at moments when there’s high load from the house

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know, that’s what e.g. the I3 has and solved the problem.
I can’t even think of a benefit of having the ability to set a minimum charge rate. It makes no sense.
Are there any settings on the app? Or does your charge point have any settings which will restrict the charge rate?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can’t even think of a benefit of having the ability to set a minimum charge rate. It makes no sense.
Are there any settings on the app? Or does your charge point have any settings which will restrict the charge rate?
I have no settings on the charge point. I took a picture of the possible settings in the car Automotive design Vehicle Audio equipment Radio Satellite radio

·
Registered
34 Posts
What happens if you uncheck all options in the right menu, except Type1 charging?

Edit: as this is under the navigation settings, I think those settings are more related to the waypoints on your navigation: for that I can understand the minimum charging and payment types.

You say the wall box hasa 16A fuse.
Does this mean it’s on a 1,5mm2 cable? Probable not. If you have a 2,5mm2 cable, you can use a 20A fuse, which can handle a 4,6kW load @230V

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What happens if you uncheck all options in the right menu, except Type1 charging?
Type 1 is normal socket at 2,2Kw speed, so type 1 charging works fine. But wallbox is Type 2, at 3,7Kw, and doesn’t work. I contact the dealer tomorrow to find out if they know the right settings; when i picked up the car at the dealer it was charging at a wallbox at 3,7Kw. I still think the reason it doesn’t work is my (old) wallbox, but we’ll see…

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi @Iseki3217, I updated my previous post :)
It’s a 2,5mm, so I could upgrade, but the installation has been made by a supplier of my employer (it’s a company car and wallbox), so I prefer them to come and take a look. I also hope the dealer can help me.

And you’re right, knowing it’s under the navigation options, it tefers rather to charing under the way, even though I don’t uderstand why you should set a minimum loadspeed…

·
Registered
169 Posts
It’s a 2,5mm, so I could upgrade, but the installation has been made by a supplier of my employer (it’s a company car and wallbox), so I prefer them to come and take a look. I also hope the dealer can help me.

And you’re right, knowing it’s under the navigation options, it tefers rather to charing under the way, even though I don’t uderstand why you should set a minimum loadspeed…
Oh I see, this page you’ve shown isn’t for setting a minimum charge rate on the car it’s for finding chargers WITH a minimum rating. So this page you’re looking at isn’t the correct place and you need to find the car charging settings, and see if there’s a way from there to set a maximum charge rate. I’ve had a quick look in the manual but other than the below showing info about the ‘My Electric Vehicle’ page it doesn’t go into any further detail about what settings are available. It does mention to swipe on this page to access further details so maybe give that a try.

Font Parallel Number Document Symmetry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I see, this page you’ve shown isn’t for setting a minimum charge rate on the car it’s for finding chargers WITH a minimum rating. So this page you’re looking at isn’t the correct place and you need to find the car charging settings, and see if there’s a way from there to set a maximum charge rate. I’ve had a quick look in the manual but other than the below showing info about the ‘My Electric Vehicle’ page it doesn’t go into any further detail about what settings are available. It does mention to swipe on this page to access further details so maybe give that a try.

View attachment 11496
Thanks for your help!! Unfortunately, i checked again in my car, but don’t fina anywhere inthis screen a possibility to change the charge rate.. I Hope my dealer can help me tomorrow

But indeed, you must be right about the screen under the navigation app, now I understand what it means, thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just checked with the dealer: there’s no setting to limit the charge speed. The wallbox should take care of this. I guess my wallbox hasn’t got that possibility.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just checked with the dealer: there’s no setting to limit the charge speed. The wallbox should take care of this. I guess my wallbox hasn’t got that possibility.
If your charge point can provide 7kW but the fuse is rated at 16A then your installer should have set the charge point up to cap the rate. It may not be a setting which is accessible to you as a user, but it should be available to an installer. What make/model is your charge point?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
If your charge point can provide 7kW but the fuse is rated at 16A then your installer should have set the charge point up to cap the rate. It may not be a setting which is accessible to you as a user, but it should be available to an installer. What make/model is your charge point?
It’s a powerdale from 2016, but I think it can only provide 3,7kW. Normally the wallbox and car shoudl communicate and then wallbox can start, I assume somethting goes wrong here with my old wallbox Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Technology Gadget

·
Registered
169 Posts
It’s a powerdale from 2016, but I think it can only provide 3,7kW. Normally the wallbox and car shoudl communicate and then wallbox can start, I assume somethting goes wrong here with my old wallbox View attachment 11499
If it can only provide 3.7kW then the 16A fuse shouldn’t be tripping (unless there’s another fault).

The support site indicates that there is an installer only setting to limit the charge rate so I’d get in touch with them (or try and find someone with knowledge) to set it correctly. https://www.powerdale.com/en/suppor...ent-measured-current-is-150-of-expected-value

1 - 20 of 22 Posts