Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it quite unsettling that our DS is less than a month old and it is no longer possible to online spec/build our car, ok I accept the new engine is now available, but would have expected the other options to remain static (from initial launch this year) for at least 18 - 24 months!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
philn said:
Manufacturers all change their specs often, it's a way of getting more sales, agree it is frustrating but they all do it.
I agree to some degree, but I don't think they all make the same major changes as JLR, for example a lot of manufacturers have introduced a Black Addition, but have kept the other spec options the same, just one of many changes on the DS model range, so you can now only get black wheels with the Black Addition Model, but what if you want any other body colour with black wheels, not an option now! I can remember the sales Guy saying to us (obviously he knew we were first time LR buyers) "our aim at LR is not to just sell you this LR/RR but to look ahead and ensure your next car is a LR/RR" well taking all things into account, including the bad experiences posted on this forum, reports of poor quality, faulty vehicles, not supplied as first thought, late, moved and altered delivery dates etc. etc. (the list goes on) a second purchase is currently looking very unlikely.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
philn said:
Manufacturers all change their specs often, it's a way of getting more sales, agree it is frustrating but they all do it.
Agreed but it seems to me to be very odd to tool up for a production run of only two or three months!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Don't see the problem, the HSE looks pretty much the same to me.

We all knew there was a new engine due.

This LR No.7 for me and I will happily take an 8th

·
Registered
232 Posts
So what are the spec changes?

Not that I've ordered any on mine, but the whole "pack" thing on a lot of cars is annoying and very restrictive. If you want headlight washers you have to order the pack with heated seats and fog lights type of thing.

If the options are offered, unless there is a technical reason they should be able to be bought individually. If you want a base model with high end audio, black wheels and premium leather....why not? It may not make sense to most people but it's your car and your money.

To the original poster. Might it not be easier to get a wheel refurb place do your wheels. The place I got my MG wheels done offered all sorts of colours shades and finishes.

I went for silver but the variety of black was huge, from matte black though gloss black, black with sparkly bits in......etc etc.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Loopylumpy said:
So what are the spec changes?

Not that I've ordered any on mine, but the whole "pack" thing on a lot of cars is annoying and very restrictive. If you want headlight washers you have to order the pack with heated seats and fog lights type of thing.

If the options are offered, unless there is a technical reason they should be able to be bought individually. If you want a base model with high end audio, black wheels and premium leather....why not? It may not make sense to most people but it's your car and your money.

To the original poster. Might it not be easier to get a wheel refurb place do your wheels. The place I got my MG wheels done offered all sorts of colours shades and finishes.

I went for silver but the variety of black was huge, from matte black though gloss black, black with sparkly bits in......etc etc.
I agree - happy with a "pack" if it is a cheaper way of getting a combo of options I want. But...

When we bought our SLK last year, the salesman went through what we wanted item by item and when something was only in a "pack", if we didn't want the pack, he found a way of getting it as a single item - often not particularly expensive.

When we bought our Mini five years ago, the salesman wasn't so helpful but didn't obkect when we spotted a couple of tricks - e.g. the cruise control was part of an expensive option, but we knew most modern engines, CC is just an input to a circuit that is already present in the ECU, you just need the buttons. We ordered the bluetooth radio kit, which meant you got the steering wheel with buttons, and that included the CC buttons, so, CC was free!

The Stratstone sales guy was hopeless by comparison. Didn't really put in any effort, which meant we ended up missing on a couple of options I'd have taken, and moreover he said we could come back and change the order so long as the main elements (e.g. colour, model) were not altered, for a period. This was Saturday afternoon. Went back in on Tuesday morning to add a few things we'd looked up in the book over the weekend and... too late! With hindsight I wish I'd just cancelled and startd again - probably still have had delivery the same week.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not the actual spec that I was concerned about, I accept that each manufacturer offers different ways to build/spec their cars, some offer base cars and you then add on single options that you want from what seems to be an endless list, others offer add on packs that group a number of items together, and some pre- spec models and the options to add on are limited, a gues there are arguably pros and cons for all the systems! The point I was tying to make was that JLR have changed the DS build/spec options a number of times in its very short release period, and now members are getting un-explained delays to their original delivery dates, and reports of quarantined assemble lines, and that is unsettling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ordered my DS in february for a delivery in July.
Now with the new engine it has been delayed to september.
but I haven't yet received the new order so I don't know what my car will cost and what options I will finally get.
In April, when the new engine story pop up, my dealer told me that only this one will be modified.
Then last month, I noticed that the DVd screen in headrest is gone.
Last week I went to the dealer and he told me that the head up display vanished as well.

And still I haven't got the new contract and the dealer cannot tell me what I will receive and what it will cost.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
javi said:
I ordered my DS in february for a delivery in July.
Now with the new engine it has been delayed to september.
but I haven't yet received the new order so I don't know what my car will cost and what options I will finally get.
In April, when the new engine story pop up, my dealer told me that only this one will be modified.
Then last month, I noticed that the DVd screen in headrest is gone.
Last week I went to the dealer and he told me that the head up display vanished as well.

And still I haven't got the new contract and the dealer cannot tell me what I will receive and what it will cost.
If they're not supplying what you ordered I think it's worth a bit of leaping and shouting. Ridiculous state of affairs when you're spending so much money!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.