Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm wondering whether the optional USB chargers for the center console are worth ordering.
They are an extra 140€ on the SE here in Germany. I would be happy paying for them but found on my last two cars that the factory USB ports were far too low powered to charge up an iPhone in a reasonble amount of time. Let alone an iPad, this would probably take a week. So I ended up using a little USB insert in the cigarette lighter socket instead. This thing is capable of delivering 1.6 amps and can roughly add 1% a minute to an iPhone 5s.

Would be great if anyone could share their view or experience.

Martin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent GPC!
I had no idea it could be added to the shelf. Very cool, I want one there too.
Thanks for the photo.

Martin

·
Registered
114 Posts
Charging is slow even for iPhone. However, I see these as convenient for stopping devices from running flat on journeys rather than a primary charging point if that makes sense. Also have the ip shelf charger myself which is useful if the passenger wants to charge while using the device. The second usb in the centre console maybe further away than a standard charger cable can reach comfortably

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Duncanslater,
I will go back to using the lighter insert charger in the center console as it's very fast and can top up my phone on my way to the office quite considerably.
The shelf USB is great for exactly the use you described. Watching a film on he ipad etc. It looks like an iPad mini can be propped up there very nicely.

Martin

·
Banned
600 Posts
Im finding the mid usbs very slow on kids tablets, just recieved a double 2.4amp usb adapter for the cig lighter socket, ill see how that goes

·
Registered
157 Posts
I find the console USB is equivalent to my 'fast charge' mains adapter for my Samsung S8; it will charge from flat in just over an hour. No complaints. :D

·
Banned
600 Posts
mid ones wont add any charge to a tablet if the kids are playing, it just barely maintains the status quo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.