Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I picked up my Discovery Sport (66 plate) yesterday and was very happy driving around for the rest of the day. However, today when I stopped to get some fuel I got an 'oil level critical' warning on the dash. I checked the level immediately with the dipstick and there seems to be plenty. The car was only serviced a few days ago!

It has come on quite a few times now but never when I'm driving, only when I stop and the engine stops. As soon as it starts again the message clears itself.

Anyone heard of this or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Afraid the obvious suggestion is to take it straight back to the dealer, assuming you didn't buy privately.
Most likely scenario in my opinion is that it was overfilled at the service. I'm assuming there must be a level sensor in the sump. When driving, oil is pumped around the engine, so the level goes down. When you stop the oil drains and sump level goes up and triggers the sensor.
I must emphasize that that is only my conjecture. I haven't experienced this before, or heard of it on the forum.
Take it back!

btw, it helps if you post your location and vehicle type on here (see this post as an example). Your car may have the 2.2 engine, or the later 2.0. There is a big difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your opinion, I was pretty much thinking the same thing to be honest. I checked the level again today since my drive isn't completely flat and it does seem to be slightly over filled (it covers the whole of bit on the the end of the dip stick rather than being between the min and max levels). It hasn't actually given me any warnings today though so I guess it must be right on the cusp of being too full.

Unfortunately I can't take it back to the garage. I didn't buy privately but the garage is too far away to just nip back.

I think I'll just have to keep an eye on it and if it comes on again I'll call into the local LR dealer.

FYI, it is a 2.0 engine, will update my signature.

·
Registered
696 Posts
It will become very critical if you get any oil dilution as the level will rise further. An overfilled sumo stops correct circulation and breather function so should be corrected ASAP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks

I picked up my Discovery Sport (66 plate) yesterday and was very happy driving around for the rest of the day. However, today when I stopped to get some fuel I got an 'oil level critical' warning on the dash. I checked the level immediately with the dipstick and there seems to be plenty. The car was only serviced a few days ago!

It has come on quite a few times now but never when I'm driving, only when I stop and the engine stops. As soon as it starts again the message clears itself.

Anyone heard of this or have any suggestions?
hi did you get this resolved? i have same warning only had a 66 plate 4 weeks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check the oil trap crankcase breather isn’t blocked. Easiest way is when the message comes up with vehicle stationary and idling, remove the oil cap. If the message disappears, you have a blocked diaphragm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the oil trap crankcase breather isn’t blocked. Easiest way is when the message comes up with vehicle stationary and idling, remove the oil cap. If the message disappears, you have a blocked diaphragm
thanks for that i'll try that tomorrow, the car is under warranty and the dealer has had it in last week but no warning came up and no fault codes! it comes on after around 15-20 mins and warning is on idling, once driving it goes out but its becoming more persistent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts