Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may recall I collected my DS a month ago, only to find the roof had been sprayed Corris grey and not black (as I originally ordered). Well a month of badgering the local dealer I hear today that they will build me a new car but will have the new engine. I will drive my current DS until I take delivery - July/August. Question is - I have obviously not received the car I originally ordered back in Sept last year and tbh I have lost a bit of confidence and faith in the product and the brand (various niggles incl creaking dash, poorly made seats to name a few - and I've got a high spec Lux). So would be interested to hear your views on the new engines v current 2.2 diesel (which I think powerful enough for the car having come out a Discovery 4 HSE). Will the new engine be slower? (female driver so not to technical pls). I am tempted to ask for my money back as ordered a car I'll never have. Thoughts pls.....

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Scottbells

I would bite their hands off as long as it has the 180 hp engine not the 160 hp.

There won't be a great deal of performance and should be quieter and better fuel economy.

Just ensure the spec of the car is the same or better, with a bit of luck you won't get it until September and it will be an 85 plate.

I have the luxury and the only fault I have is with the dab radio, the quality control who checked yours must have been asleep to miss the roof.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks philn - I know bizarre, even LR uk are baffled by it & apparently it's a £500 extra. My Bluetooth audio skips too as does my 2nd row seating rattle when reclined and I've got the wrong mats!!! Not that I'm not enjoying the drive though!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Id check out some of the other threads on the new engine and the my16 euro 6 stuff, there's lots on there

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure, it think the new engine will be the same 9 speed auto. I debated cancelling my order to wait for the new engine so I think you're onto a winner if it's like for like. Just make sure if anything changes in spec that you get it as there seems to be some large enough spec changes in Europe but your dealer should be able to give you all the spec.

In relation to power as you asked specifically I have heard that the new engine is 2 seconds slower 0-60 but cheaper in tax and more fuel efficient so depends on what is more important to you

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Judging by the posts from our friends abroad on the forum the price will be increased for the new engine and possibly the specification will to, you may be getting a bargain as I assume you will get it for the original price. The one thing I would try to agree is to collect in September so you get the new plate, it will be worth more at resale than the present one.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Peter79 said:
Not sure, it think the new engine will be the same 9 speed auto. I debated cancelling my order to wait for the new engine so I think you're onto a winner if it's like for like. Just make sure if anything changes in spec that you get it as there seems to be some large enough spec changes in Europe but your dealer should be able to give you all the spec.

In relation to power as you asked specifically I have heard that the new engine is 2 seconds slower 0-60 but cheaper in tax and more fuel efficient so depends on what is more important to you
Hi Peter,

The new engine matches the performance of the old almost identical. When you compare the old 187bhp SD4 to the new 2.0 TD4 150bhp, the performance is obviously different. I think that people are confused that both the 150bhp and 180bhp versions are called TD4...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Getting a car that is not spec'd correctly indicates poor quality controls.
Offering however a brand new car with the new engine, and while waiting, keeping and driving your current brand new car, indicates regret from Land Rover and an acceptable way to sort their mess.

Now regarding the new engine, honestly it is the first time that I read so many bad comments against progress. To me, a "new thing" from a respected brand that comes to replace something "old" and "outdated" is a good thing. In my view, make sure you will get the new 180hp TD4 engine on you high spec DS and call it a day. In addition, you may try to get some extra accessories or a free service for all this hassle.

On the other hand, in case you have second thoughts on the DS, after owning it for a while, is a whole different story. I suspect that trying to get a full refund will be a hard and painful path to follow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Absolute no brainer - accept the new car, enjoy the one you have until the replacement is ready. It's an irritating oversight, not a major fault at the end of the day. Landrover have done well to replace your vehicle to be fair to them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think LR are offering a very good level of 'compensation'. I think the price will go up on the new engined cars and probably you won't get a 5 year service pack for £500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts