Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

has anyone tried some offroading with DS?

I mean in some rough terrain, not behind barn ;)

If yes pls sahre your experience, videos or photos.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Bear,

I can probably speak for most when I say that the nearest to going off-road will be driving on a muddy lane, but many of us on here have been on the LR Driving Experience in the DS including me. This is a very good indication of the DS's ability off-road, and I was very impressed with how it coped. Watching the full-size Disco and RR on the same off-road course with their air suspension, obviously there is a difference, but the DS was very sure-footed and coped with aplomb off-road, IMHO. There are several threads about the LR Driving Experience that you can find on this forum.

Cheers,

b1ggles2

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tried out a track in the Dentelles de Montmirail region of France - stones/dry dirt track. I would grade it as "easy", had a few steep sections that required Hill Descent Control - no problem whatsoever. It's not a Discovery, obviously, so without the benefits of air suspension you simply won't get as far with a DS. Having said that, it should be perfectly adequate for relatively simple off-road sections. I drove the DS automatic transmission during at an Experience Day event. My DS, however, has a manual gearbox, and I do find it more difficult to use the Hill Descent Control with my manual. Not sure whether anyone else has the same problem. I managed to stall the engine on one or two occasions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

This wasn't me driving but I went down the same course, seemed fine to me, not as good as the full fat Disco but better than none LR product I have driven.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
First day I had it I was on the playing fields at Brackley Fair - locals will know this is areas of flat grass (cut for soccer, etc) with steep banks in between. NO problem with the banks!

WHilst in France there's a road we have to use most days which isn't made up. IT varies, depending if someone's been trying to patch it up, or if the farmer's been up and down it i his combine digging out ruts. It's "medium" at the moment, as they've been logging at one end so what used ot be really easy bit of it is now all gouged up. No problems at all. I played with HDC. I played with just using 1st gear. I played with it in "normal" and in "grass/gravel" (I discovered that even in grass/gravel, if you put it in first, it may still decide to change up - if you want it to STAY in a manually selected gear, you have to be in Sport). COming up the hill I tried it in Auto and in with or without Grass/Gravel. No problems at all, other than to note that the shape of the car means any dust you kick up will mostly end up stuck to the tailgate.

I look forward to my Driving Experience.

(PS - l regularly off-road in a 90 and used to in my Disco 1 and less often in my Disco 2, so I know mud when I see it).

It will surely exceed the off-road requirements of 90% of buyers. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for replies.

We bought our DS´s in Czech republic month ago, still waiting for voucher on land rover experience.

I send email if we can spend it in austria, friend told me they have better areal for it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Bear said:
Thanks for replies.

We bought our DS´s in Czech republic month ago, still waiting for voucher on land rover experience.

I send email if we can spend it in austria, friend told me they have better areal for it.
I didn't get a voucher. Persuaded by other messages here, this morning I am trying to phone them!

But if you're not ni the UK I would hope your dealer would find you instead a suitable local 'experience'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my brother, yeah he got little stuck, but after few advices he get out. The foto is taken when he was free ;)

We really enjoy LR EXP, i plan to try LR EXP in another country.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yes, heading for Dunkeld next Thursday to the dirty deed, let's hope it is wet/ snowy/slidey.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
does anyone have any videos of the DS at an experience day - youtube seems lacking

·
Registered
567 Posts
pcheaven said:
does anyone have any videos of the DS at an experience day - youtube seems lacking
Not any more... here you go, I took some from my Halewood visit in October.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ccomley said:
Bear said:
Thanks for replies.

I didn't get a voucher. Persuaded by other messages here, this morning I am trying to phone them!

But if you're not ni the UK I would hope your dealer would find you instead a suitable local 'experience'.
I didn't really get a voucher, either. However, when I went on the Land Rover owners site and registered myself and my car, there was a section on the web site that mentioned the voucher for a two-hour driving course at one of the experience sites. Now, this is the US, so maybe there's a difference, but if I hadn't logged into the owners site and registered, I wouldn't have ever known that there was a certificate available. I believe it's www.mylandrover.com if that helps.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Vehicle inspires confidence, I was lucky enough to be given permission on Friday to go off road locally. It was equivalent to "experience" conditions with very steep climbs up a road made for tractor/quad bike access, I took it carefully and walked sections where I was less sure, prior to driving it. The auto box makes for easy low speed climbing with no clutch to worry about and I tried out all various options, but even leaving in D it copes fine, unlike a previous so-called AWD vehicle which always felt as if it was about to give up ( I very nearly got stuck several times) in conditions the DS would have completely shrugged off!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
PedroT said:
Vehicle inspires confidence, I was lucky enough to be given permission on Friday to go off road locally. It was equivalent to "experience" conditions with very steep climbs up a road made for tractor/quad bike access, I took it carefully and walked sections where I was less sure, prior to driving it. The auto box makes for easy low speed climbing with no clutch to worry about and I tried out all various options, but even leaving in D it copes fine, unlike a previous so-called AWD vehicle which always felt as if it was about to give up ( I very nearly got stuck several times) in conditions the DS would have completely shrugged off!!!
It is amazing what they can actually do 'off road'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.