Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Creamy said:
Hi Moose,how much do you know about these devices.Are they fitted without disturbance or damage and will they affect warranty ?
Honest answer is I have no idea, I have been in touch with the guys that make them and as yet they do not know if the Evoque installation will work (the vehicles been similar, if you check the images it is locked behind the dash end panel), I would imagine the warranty would be affected in area relating to the fitment, ie if you have a dash rattle, or a OBD connection issue they would not want to know.
I would take issue with them over it but it's down to you and your dealer at the end of the day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been looking in to these and without knowing how/where the ODB is fitted it's hard to say. On my FL2 it's fairly open and just below the bottom of the dash. This is one made for the FL2 http://www.protectavan.co.uk/vehicles/land-rover/freelander-2-2006-2014/freelander-2-obd-port-protection-device . The other option is fitting an isolating switch into the +12v plug supply and hiding it somewhere ( here's one solution fitted to an Audi http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/22409-stealing-cars-through-obd-6.html#post747401 ). Alternatively you go for a Tatcham approved electronic solution of which there are loads.

For me the acid test is what the insurance co.s make of the DS. Has anybody had an FL2 or similar and seen any hike in premiums for DS? My current FL2 HSE Lux sits at Group 27 but the DS HSE on order is Group 31. Is that anything to do with keyless entry I wonder?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The key switch is neat and simple, I may be tempted to move the OBD as well, replaced with a dummy with a number of key pins wired directly to the battery via heavy duty cables, see if I can fry his chips :twisted:

·
Registered
116 Posts
asl1956 said:
I have been looking in to these and without knowing how/where the ODB is fitted it's hard to say. On my FL2 it's fairly open and just below the bottom of the dash. This is one made for the FL2 http://www.protectavan.co.uk/vehicles/land-rover/freelander-2-2006-2014/freelander-2-obd-port-protection-device . The other option is fitting an isolating switch into the +12v plug supply and hiding it somewhere ( here's one solution fitted to an Audi http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/22409-stealing-cars-through-obd-6.html#post747401 ). Alternatively you go for a Tatcham approved electronic solution of which there are loads.

For me the acid test is what the insurance co.s make of the DS. Has anybody had an FL2 or similar and seen any hike in premiums for DS? My current FL2 HSE Lux sits at Group 27 but the DS HSE on order is Group 31. Is that anything to do with keyless entry I wonder?
My wife should get her new DS HSE soon. When we phoned the insurance company last week there was no change to the premium. Just their "admin" fee :/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Now that there are a number of DS's out there (mine this week according to the JLR crystal ball), has anyone done anything regarding the OBD issue. I've not heard of any DS being stolen, so that's a plus. Any OBD locks fitted? Where is the port on the DS? Any electronic disablers fitted? Or was it all just hype?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I fitted a box into the can line that hides the key programe module. I also a blank OBD port coming as I plan to hide mine

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Moose said:
The key switch is neat and simple, I may be tempted to move the OBD as well, replaced with a dummy with a number of key pins wired directly to the battery via heavy duty cables, see if I can fry his chips :twisted:
*Do* remember to tell your official service people and any road-side assistance types you may need that you've done this, won't you? :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am told most factory diagnostic software can handles miss-wired pins in case of shorts or fires so that would not work had i tried :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts