Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have now done over 5000 miles in DS and am very pleased with its performance and handling. One problem though is very annoying we get a low level whistling/whining sound when travelling at town speeds . It is in time with the revs and is heard in the 1200 to 2000 rev range . I took it back to my dealer for investigation and he confirms the sound is from the turbo . Apparently the DS engine has a higher turbo pressure than the Freelander. The dealer found no fault with the turbo pipework so tried the other DSs they had and found they all did the same! They have recorded their finding and have sent them off to LR for their appraisal. Does anybody else suffer from the same fault? A good test is to run the car in neutral and rev through 2000 revs, we can make ours sing . Would be very interested to find if others have noticed this as have not seen any comments on the forum
Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have noticed some turbo whistle on mine, hoped it might disappear when run in.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's not a fault .... mine whistles all the time in the Rev range 1200 to 2000 depending on the load

·
Registered
211 Posts
Surely the turbo whistle adds to the "Sport" claim in the DS name ? Back in the day the sound of a turbo running at full pressure was a status badge for all those hot hatch boy racers ! Admittedly in those days it wasn't competing with the rattle of a diesel engine, but that's progress for you I suppose ....

;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
We can get together and have a good old sing song :lol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've christened mine Roger Whittaker :twisted:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I only notice it when the window is open and the stereo not too loud. I like it. Not as fruity as my TD5 turbo was, though, esp with the DPF and center box both moved to a more sensible location - on the shelf! :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Car engine makes noise shocker

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your replies, it would seem a whistling turbo is a feature of the DS . Was intrigued to learn some even expect a car with a 'Sport' badge to sound like this.
For myself I had hoped I was buying a premium car with an engine that was as refined as the one in my Freelander and not to sound asthmatic as it went through the gears.
Well at least all our cars are singing from the same hymn sheet.

Looks like I will have to go and whistle!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
All my land rovers whistle! The 300tdi in my Disco 1 and my Defender it's more noticable only at higher revs coz that's quite a basic old style turbo and isn't doing much at all until you hit 2500rpm. The TD5 in my D2 was more of a low whilstly back-tone to the engine noise at idle and pulling away. And a shriek at higher revs under load until I got the exhaust manifold sorted!! :) But the turbo in a modern engine is a far more complex beasty and does do a lot of work even at very low revs. So you need to expect to hear from it. It's very hard to silence the turbo noise as it is "after" the engine and the frequencies are far higher than the "booming" exhaust noises that the silencers are designed to cope with.

I'm not sure if the Duratorq has a blow-out valve, not noticed it yet, but that's another noise you may have to get used to. It would give a "sigh" when you take your foot off the power to change up, in a manual, not sure it'd be as noticeable on an auto even under paddle control coz you never come off the power in quite the same way. Boy-racers often add after-market BOVs specifically designed to make a louder noise on lift-off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
BlameTheParents said:
ccomley said:
I'm not sure if the Duratorq has a blow-out valve, not noticed it yet...
Maybe it's a JLR option only available in certain markets?!
;)
Most modern turbos have them but they usually recirculate pressure (eg to the airbox) rather than vent it to atmosphere :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noticed same noise when I collected my new DS from showroom-Dealer kept car (told me turbo WAS faulted) I was given DS courtesy car (with silent turbo) until mine was repaired with replacement turbo.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
kitkat said:
Noticed same noise when I collected my new DS from showroom-Dealer kept car (told me turbo WAS faulted) I was given DS courtesy car (with silent turbo) until mine was repaired with replacement turbo.
Would have been better if PDI had picked it up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
can anyone confirm if this issue is with the old 2.2 or the new Ingenium, or both? Would be good to know what to expect when we get ours, just to make sure we are not too neurotic....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacement turbo was on old 2.2 engine.I have since replaced car with 2.0 ingenium.Has anyone who has driven both got an opinion on new engine? I find it sounds quite smooth above 25-30 MPH,but still rattles as much as old 2.2 at idle and low speed! MPG a little better(up 3 MPG).

·
Registered
562 Posts
While I would prefer the 2.0, it simply doesn't offer enough improvement to warrant a change, so I'm not going to jump yet until they do the first facelift/big tweak in probably 2-3years. I want blind spot monitor and more power, I hope this is on the cards......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.