Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

This is my first post as only just found this forum despite getting our DS in March.

We have 4 young children so just a day means we need a billion bags and prams! Finally decided to bite the bullet and get a roof box. We've got the pano roof. Do we have to get the LR bars fitted? Is there a cheaper option? We are in Gloucestershire if there's anything local.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Clodderz said:
Hi!
We've got the pano roof. Do we have to get the LR bars fitted? Is there a cheaper option? We are in Gloucestershire if there's anything local.

Thank you!
Its very early adys for the third-party folks to get up to speed on the new model.

I called Thule, but they had nothing, not surprisingly, and i couldn't get the folks I spoke to, at least, to make any comment at all on how long it takes them to register the existence of a new model and start work on a product.

One retailer I spoke to said he thought there would be no Thule product coz they're scared the roof is too flimsy with the pano insert. I would;'ve thought the opposite - to be able to maintain the integrity and rigidity of the monocoque without the main roof panel, I would have thought the remaining steel structure would be *stronger* than a tin roof.

However, my main requirement was something to which I could attach antennae and a beacon. Discovering that the metal bits of the pano roof are not aluminium as I had first thought but steel means my mag-mounts continue to work as well as ever and I am no longer looking at bars. Hopefully the urge to have them will either never return or at least not until after somone has made some. Am NOT paying LR's price for their rails.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I hope the Thule set of cross bars that I have from my Evoque will fit directly on the roof; will know in 4 weeks time

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the LR roof rails on my Evoque but use Thule crossbars and I'm hoping my current cross bars will fit the LR roof rails on the DS. Fingers crossed I will know within 2 weeks (build date was 21/08/15).

Personally I don't like the crossbars that look like they lip round under the door seal (paranoid about paint scratching) which you would need if you don't go for the LR roof rails.

Once I know if my "Evoque" cross bar setup works with the DS roof rails, I'll report back.

·
Registered
829 Posts
DS roof is much wider so unlikely...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
I hope the Thule set of cross bars that I have from my Evoque will fit directly on the roof; will know in 4 weeks time
Cross-bar will fit the DS rails I'm sure. Thule mounts, however, without rails, not so sure. Front may be the same or close enough to the evoque but the rear ones will be further out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Please do update the post if you get the chance. Googling for once has not proved fruitful so will be watching the posts eagerly for updates. We should get away without needing any until October hopefully.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Personally always disappointed you can't take these to your next car and at gbp 1000 for roofrails (LR) and cross bars (Thule) not exactly cheap

I recommend the aero bars with Thule feet that I used on the RR Evoque and can be extended much wider. See my other post on Thule and Kamei 510 roofbox

·
Registered
108 Posts
We have same issue' so had to get the disco roof rails and then roof bars, got the roof bars from LR but know there are others available but you have to have the roof rails i think to put anything up there!

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I managed to get roof rails included and plan to fit my old thule feet if they are compatible - may need new Aero bars due to length

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.