Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post :) I've recently picked up my first LR - the Discovery Sport Plug in Hybrid, last month after a few months' wait! Are there any other hybrid owners here as I'd be interested to see your charging data if you have it. I seem to be having an issue with the charging and we can see this on our Smart Meter read out. We charge at night on a tariff..my husband has a Jag I-pace so we got the fast charger installed for that. It's only charging at 7kW for about 15 mins then goes down to 2kw for the rest of the period, as you can see on the attachments. It's doing this on different chargers and with a different cable, so it's the car not the charger. I've raised this and took it in to be looked at this week, and was told it was now 'fixed', but it hasn't addressed the issue.

I don't want to be fobbed off and told this is normal, because it can't be normal to take 6-7 hours to charge a battery with a range of less than 30 miles. Can anyone else provide any wisdom? If there are any other new PHEV owners out there it would be great to hear how you're getting on.

Other than that the car is great :D

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Your car has a 15kWh battery. Most charges/cars will quickly charge up to 80% (12kWh for you) then slow the charge rate down to protect the battery.
Also, make sure you haven't inadvertently set a schedule via the app so that it isn't taking advantage of the fast charge rate.

·
Registered
218 Posts
has this ever resulted in the battery not being fully charged?

Is there a setting to use if you want a full charge asap? for example an early morning airport run etc etc

·
Registered
36 Posts
HolStormy said:
Hi everyone,

This is my first post :) I've recently picked up my first LR - the Discovery Sport Plug in Hybrid, last month after a few months' wait! Are there any other hybrid owners here as I'd be interested to see your charging data if you have it. I seem to be having an issue with the charging and we can see this on our Smart Meter read out. We charge at night on a tariff..my husband has a Jag I-pace so we got the fast charger installed for that. It's only charging at 7kW for about 15 mins then goes down to 2kw for the rest of the period, as you can see on the attachments. It's doing this on different chargers and with a different cable, so it's the car not the charger. I've raised this and took it in to be looked at this week, and was told it was now 'fixed', but it hasn't addressed the issue.

I don't want to be fobbed off and told this is normal, because it can't be normal to take 6-7 hours to charge a battery with a range of less than 30 miles. Can anyone else provide any wisdom? If there are any other new PHEV owners out there it would be great to hear how you're getting on.

Other than that the car is great :D

Thanks!
Quick response: Something IS going wrong for you. Yes, the charge rate IS designed to slow down as it proceeds - my son doing A Level Physics did explain to me why, but I can't remember what he said! - yet my PHEV charges from flat in about 120-150 minutes. So something is wrong somewhere. (I assume you use the same home charger for the iPace and that that is a reasonable charging speed?)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Most home chargers don't actually output 7kw. They often modulate from 4.5-6kw.
Even so. It should only take a couple of hours to get to 80%-90%.

As noted above. I would take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes as we thought (and have told the dealer!). Simon do you have a smart meter that shows a graph like the one I attached to my message- ie showing what it's meant to do? We're trying to get the message across that it shouldn't do this.. but is doing it on different chargers so it's not that at fault!
You're right about it slowing down as this is something we've learnt from the iPace, but it should only be right at the end I believe.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elliot said:
has this ever resulted in the battery not being fully charged?

Is there a setting to use if you want a full charge asap? for example an early morning airport run etc etc
We charge on a night tariff which turns off the charger after a certain time, so most nights it doesn't get fully charged from empty.
As far as I can tell there's no setting on which is limiting the charging time.. they did mention this at the dealership and said they'd 'turned it off' but it was never on to begin with and it hasn't helped anyway! Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere? I think the one in the car is 'departure time' or something like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my DS P300 SE was delivered last week, however delivered with 0 % Charge so drove 5 miles to charging point (as awaiting home charge point install)

Charging indicator turned green so went shopping on return still 0% charge moved to another charge point same issue on driving home fault message saying High Voltage Error drive with caution. you could tell that the car was only operation on the 1.5 engine.

Called LR assist and they sent out an AA recover guy who said no idea you need to call out LR customer service.

LR Customer Service arrived and carried out fault analysts and concluded that the the computer was registering a cable issue on the high voltage and therefore is isolating the battery pack from the car. Customer service engineer recommended that the car was not driven and he arranged for the car to be recovered back to my dealer.

The dealer has now had the car for two days and has carried out diagnostics and updates..... have been told I should have an update tomorrow.

During the 5 miles I drove it to the charge point the car felt great.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yep. They are great cars. Though like the early adopters of the I Pace - it's quite likely you will experience a few niggles for a while. My I Pace had more LR assist callouts than all my other landrover put together. 99% were software issues.

Worth it though.

Stick with it :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 Phev new owner here, Smart Chargers will also limit their power draw to protect Home Electrical circuits so if you have say both cars plugged in at the same time on the same circuit that may be the limiting factor, but individually should be fine our DS seems to take approx 1.5->2 hours to fully recharge on a 7Kw Charger which is still quite slow when compared to our Tesla which charges at 29 miles an hour

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
jmg56 said:
Hi my DS P300 SE was delivered last week, however delivered with 0 % Charge so drove 5 miles to charging point (as awaiting home charge point install)

Charging indicator turned green so went shopping on return still 0% charge moved to another charge point same issue on driving home fault message saying High Voltage Error drive with caution. you could tell that the car was only operation on the 1.5 engine.

Called LR assist and they sent out an AA recover guy who said no idea you need to call out LR customer service.

LR Customer Service arrived and carried out fault analysts and concluded that the the computer was registering a cable issue on the high voltage and therefore is isolating the battery pack from the car. Customer service engineer recommended that the car was not driven and he arranged for the car to be recovered back to my dealer.

The dealer has now had the car for two days and has carried out diagnostics and updates..... have been told I should have an update tomorrow.

During the 5 miles I drove it to the charge point the car felt great.
Not a good satart to ownership. You'd of thought that they'd of checked the charge level before handover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got my DS P300e on 19/01 and have a 7KW Pod Point Home Charger.

I had problems with the charger only delivering 2.4 or so KW and then tripping after a few minutes. But today (23/01) got that solved and now charge at the full 7 KW. Today from 30% to 100% took 1 hour 50 minutes.

It delivered the full 7 KW well into the 90's and then throttled back as it got close to 100%

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my DS P300e on 19/01 and have a 7KW Pod Point Home Charger.

I had problems with the charger only delivering 2.4 or so KW and then tripping after a few minutes. But today (23/01) got that solved and now charge at the full 7 KW. Today from 30% to 100% took 1 hour 50 minutes.

It delivered the full 7 KW well into the 90's and then throttled back as it got close to 100%
How did you resolve the issue 23/01 please?
I’ve had my Podpoint moved to another property and my car hasn’t charged since.
I have tried other Podpoint’s to no avail.
Land Rover claim that it’s not the vehicle and must just be an intermittent fault. But I still can’t charge the damn thing 😩

1 - 13 of 13 Posts