Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I’ve only ever driven German or Japanese and I have just picked up a LR sport discovery luxury from local trader
I only just noticed a weeee sound on accelerating but can’t be sure if this is normal? There are no other faults on the car - it’s has done 70k miles and is a 68 plate
Any input would be much appreciated.
I’ve been scared by drive shafts and Engine replacement issues and super scared it could be that - car is not under warranty!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sounds exactly like balance shaft bearings. When i picked up our second DS from the dealer in Yorkshire, it had a supercharger type high pitched noise when accelerating, the sales guy said it was the second turbo kicking in :mad:
So I drove it like that for a month or two, anyway I did a little not-too-light off-roading and she picked up an annoying rattle, so I drove to the local LR dealer in Bolton, a technician came out to listen and asked had I been having fun recently because it sounded to him that I had got a stone trapped between the bodywork and the exhaust :eek:, and that they would normally charge me for getting it out. In this case though he would make sure that it was done when the balance shaft bearings were done. Balance shaft bearings? I asked, no, that's the second turbo, when he stopped laughing he told me that it was VERY obviously the balance shaft bearings. Anyway they were done a couple of months later (when the modified ones were available) and the car has been as silent as the grave - well until a drive shaft bearing started to play silly devils, but that's another story - that actually ends well.

Point is the balance shaft bearing problem is very well documented, and LR have been changing them for modified ones for free even on vehicles that are out of warranty.

Can't emphasis the importance of a good local dealership, they will fight your corner, and Technicians that know the product and care are invaluable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow- that really has put my mind wt ease
Literally thought I was going to have to get a new engine! And turbo!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts