Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a car from lookers in bishops stortford last week to tow various things, we need to tow on a regular basis, horse box, caravan, trailers, all sorts. they were putting it on for us ready for collection, only to be told they couldn't fix the tow bar as there is an extra bumper bit they need and had ordered it that day so could we pop in or they would come to us and fix it on in the next few days , we were needing to pick the car up on 30th for the end of month sales figure, so traded in our car that towed perfectly for it would seem one that can't !- well after a list as long as my arm of problems with the car - one being no seat belt in one of the back seats, we took it back and asked for all to be rectified before we collected. were given a se tech model in exchange until our hse was ready, a week later and we have been told the list is all done except the tow bar which is on back order. no point in having the car if i can't tow with it !!!

no idea what i should do, how i should deal with it [email protected]!

i have rang customer service nos on the landrover uk website, they advised me to call another land rover dealer and spoken to their parts dept to see if this is correct. which is did. it does seem to be right. all the tow bars and accessories are on back order with no suggested date as when they will be delivered. so i feel i have spent 45k on a car that is useless !

any suggestions folk !!

We need it for various towing events over the next few weeks and then go on holiday early August and need to tow or caravan, I am absolutely gutted and feel so so disapointed. We would have happily waited a few months to change the car if we had known about this issue.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Does the loan car have a tow bar? If not, give them a hard deadline for when you MUST HAVE a working tow vehicle and tell them if they can't meet it they should refund your money and take their part-built car back, and you'll consider buying it off them when it's finally finished.

"Time is of the essence" is a specific phrase to drop in to the conversation. "Consequential loss" maybe. Not to mention "not fit for purpose". No, wait, *do* mention it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2010/09/buying/returning-a-car refers to used cars but I would be surprised if the same or better protection doesn't apply to new. Pretty sure you ARE entitled to reject it out of hand and receive a full refund. As they can no longer sell it as "brand new" to anyone else, they won't want that. (The downside would be you'd be at the back of the queue for a new new one of cousre.)

Also, spending your spare time hanging around the showroom making loud noises about the poor service will probably get their attention focused where it should be.

Must say I've heard poor words of Lookers before, one of our two local dealers has been bought by them which is why I went to Stratstone...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that, no loan car hasn't got a tow bar, i could manage if it had - i am going to go in tomorrow and try to sort it out. its such a headache.

has anyone got a detachable tow bar that is working ???

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
ccomley said:
"Time is of the essence" is a specific phrase to drop in to the conversation. "Consequential loss" maybe. Not to mention "not fit for purpose". No, wait, *do* mention it.
I forgot to mention you should put this in writing - explain you HAVE TO HAVE a car which can tow by no later than [date]. Make it clear that responses such as "we'll do our best" or "we'll try, but..." are simply not acceptable. Also hint at other factors which were significant in your choice of the DS which would NOT be fulfilled by them lending you, say, a Defender with a tow bar. (e.g. in our case pretty much the first job we had for the car was to carry four adults across France, so the loan of something which wouldn't have been comfortable for rear-seat adult passengers (an Evoque, say), or something that would not have been comfortable for a 12 hour drive (Defender, say) would have been out of the question. And mine was off the tarmac within 24 hours of leaving the dealer - wouldn't have been possible had I been lent a Fiesta or some such.

The best intent here would be to ensure they take the steps necessary to render your car as it should have been in the first place in sufficient time but failing that they need to lend you something which CAN do the ALL the jobs you need doing whilst they finish yours.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Land Rover customer service have a D4 with a tow bar, I know because i had it for a week, it may be out elsewhere, but it does exist.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi richandsarah

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn of the concern you are experiencing with the purchase of your vehicle from Lookers Land Rover, Bishop Stortford, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or frustration that may have been caused.

I would be happy to offer my assistance in looking into your concerns and speaking with your retailer and would be grateful if you are able to provide the following information via PM;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Ryan

·
Registered
226 Posts
well after a list as long as my arm of problems with the car - one being no seat belt in one of the back seats,
They supplied you a car on which one of the seats had no seat belt fitted ?

My understanding is that since the mid-80's a car manufacturer can not supply a car that does not have seat belts fitted to every seat. When you told them one was missing, I would have thought they would have instructed you to return the car immediately.

It seems like an extremely fundamental quality issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, we got told the car was ready to collect today, a lot of the issues have now been resolved, HOWEVER ! - tow bar still not correct and SHOULD be rectified by 17 July - LETS HOPE SO !!!! and to add insult to injury, we went in to exchange the car whilst enroute to Newmarket Races, to be handed the keys, a quick handshake and we will see you shortly to rectify the tow bar properly, got in the car to set off to STILL not have the tank of fuel that was promised to us !!! the seat belt was now correct ! The handbag hook, is now there, the cup holder was in the boot - we have placed it in the right place, the car is now clean and its been scotch guarded.

"apparently the tow bar should be ok but its not quite right and should be done soon" ! Flabbergasted !!! once i have listened to the rest of Howards message i will be - hopefully - more in the picture !

I must say the HSE we have is SOOOOOOOOOOO much nicer than the SE Tech we had on loan !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just emailed lookers in bishops stortford again..... ryan at landrover, you haven't contacted me - i have given you the information you requested. but heres the next episode....

Dear Howard,

I believe Sarah emailed you after we picked up the car up and i have to say i am extremely disappointed with the current position.

The agreement I had was that I would pick the car up when you guys had completed the list - your sales manager indicated that he had reviewed the list prior to this position.

1, The scratches on the central silver console (pasenger side) are still there - and very dirty following the replacement of the bag hook.

2, The tow bar is STILL not completed which we discussed ( I appreciate you wanted to sell the loan car I was in, so I agree to help out pending a full fitting on 17th, is this booked in ? The hole is visible and commented on by others this weekend.....

3, You agree a tank of fuel and again this wasn't the case, with only 15 miles remaining and a trip to newmarket for the day I had to divert to the garage.

4, No sign of the media changes that you mentioned,

so more that needs to be done and more time I will have to invest in getting the vehicle back for you guys to solve.

I really think this needs to be lifted to Landrover Customer Services if you can't deal with it at the dealership. Can you let me know what the plans are to resolve, the timeline, to assist in my work plans the dates I will need to have the vehicle with you.

I know you are trying to resolve, given the importance I thought someone would have checked the changes expected and even the sales manager to perhaps hand over the keys given you had a customer rather than a one minute key swap, and now more time, effort and energy I will have to invest to bring this to a conclusion !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we are hoping that the part that is needed can be ordered today ! i am now totally baffled by land rover as they have aid its a wiring part ?!?! no mention on a cover for the gapping hole in the bumper !! Update hopefully today. sorry that everyone thats seen the car has asked "why is there a hole at the back " great for future sales i am sure !!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
richandsarah said:
we are hoping that the part that is needed can be ordered today ! i am now totally baffled by land rover as they have aid its a wiring part ?!?! no mention on a cover for the gapping hole in the bumper !! Update hopefully today. sorry that everyone thats seen the car has asked "why is there a hole at the back " great for future sales i am sure !!!!
There was (is?) a fault with some tow electrics. Mine's not fixed fully yet either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.