Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my DS professionally detailed and sealed. I elected to apply Gtechniq C1 Nano Quartz Coating to the paint surface, after the paint was corrected. It's now up to me to maintain it. Recommend GTechniq L1 to protect the leather interior and Gtechniq C5 to protect your alloy wheels. http://gtechniq.com

JLR paint is pretty dire. Paint levels are very thin, 60-90um where as the Germans manufactuers are typically are 120-150um. No time given at factory for proper prep, here are some before & after pics to show the level of hazing, holograms, swirls scratches on my car straight from the factory.

Thanks to Justin at Exclusive Car Care http://www.exclusivecarcare.co.uk

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Very nice indeed. I get what you are saying - but in my case, as soon as I move from the house I am on a muddy lane so its not going to look like that for very long (assuming it ever turns up).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Looks good.

This is the darkest colour LR I've had so may look in to getting something like this done.

I've got the Gtechniq leather gaurd, ready to be applied once I get the car. Also I'm trying out Gyeon Q2M Cure silicone sealant each application lasts 2 months and Q2 Tire a silicone sealant for tyres.

·
Registered
329 Posts
terrible swirling from the factory

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice pictures just waiting to book mine in for the same treat with Midland Car Care once I have a confirmed delivery date. Can not believe the state they let out off the factory. I have told my dealer not to touch it.

AndyD

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Andyd said:
Nice pictures just waiting to book mine in for the same treat with Midland Car Care once I have a confirmed delivery date. Can not believe the state they let out off the factory. I have told my dealer not to touch it.

AndyD
Andy - I bet your sitting there with your polishing cloth waiting for the DS to arrive :D :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have the same issue as Tugpilot. Home is on a muddy lane for half a mile before I get to the main road. Renders thorough cleaning like that completely pointless for me - unless I park half a mile from home and walk (not going to happen) :lol:

That does look stunning though!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Natwest said:
I have the same issue as Tugpilot. Home is on a muddy lane for half a mile before I get to the main road. Renders thorough cleaning like that completely pointless for me - unless I park half a mile from home and walk (not going to happen) :lol:

That does look stunning though!
You're right but slightly missing the point. This is a detail not a clean. essentially the paint work has been corrected so it has no swirls or holograms and it is then coated with 'stuff' that is very slippy. So not only does it look great the next time you wash it, mud and dirt doesn't stick to it as much and it is far far easier to wash. You're gonna wash it at some time right. This give a good base for your washing. My car will be white which masks swirls a lot so I'll check it first. If it is seriously swirled I'll have it machine polished and treated. If not, I'll do the treatment myself.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wonder if the swirling etc is actually from the factory or if it's from the dealer's pre-delivery efforts...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pretty poor paint job for a £40k + car!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Because I am totally anal about car washing I'm gonna have to find out exactly what the dealer will be doing with the car prep wise because if they are going to put that type of swirling in, which is very easy to do with a dirty wash sponge(yuk)/mitt, or through poor drying I'll happily let them leave it dirty. Having watched lots of video on car plants and particularly their paint shops I have great doubts any of that damage is done at the factory.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got one of our guys to check my paint....varied between 106um and 148um...best cover on rear quarters ;)

Overall paint finish pretty good no evident swirls or scratches...still not been to the supermarket yet....will park miles from anyone but moron man will wedge his Vectra shed to within a couple of inches..... :evil:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ozsport said:
I wonder if the swirling etc is actually from the factory or if it's from the dealer's pre-delivery efforts...
My car was not touched by my dealer under orders!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Triple7 said:
ozsport said:
My car was not touched by my dealer under orders!
So that swirling was from the factory ! Gosh

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Under proper lighting/bright sunlight you will see the marking. I collected under cloudy skies prior to having it detailed and it looked fine. (my detailer washed car prior to me collecting, as the dealer valeters used brooms to clean the cars! Eeek'h

·
Registered
829 Posts
Those factory paint marks and the way they covered your car in mud before collection would get me pretty upset...

Glad you fixed the paint as black is so demanding

1 - 17 of 17 Posts