Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 months of ownership it's time to move the DS on, it's not a bad car I just miss my Discovery. I had a few doubts before I bought it but thought they would pass.

New car arrives in October a Discovery SE, Loire Blue, privacy glass and service pack.

I've enjoyed being part of the forum and I will pop back now and again.

All the best

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You are not alone in your conclusions, the new full fat Disco is out next year I would expect quite a few to be looking at that.
Good luck,
Maybe talk again on the Discovery Owners Club or Disco3/4 forums.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry to see you go.
A big decision to make eh!
Best wishes for the future with your new Disco.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry you are moving on, but no need to leave the forum! I'm sure others here would also like to hear how you get on with the Disco once you have it. Thanks for your useful input here ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
J77 - thanks for your contributions to the forum (and Freel2). Hope you can stand the Discovery fuel consumption after running more frugal Land Rovers! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Goodluck J77!
Like Moose says, I for one will be eyeing up the new full size Discovery when its released.
Obviously interesting to see what value you got when selling or trading it in.....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

I like the traditional seating position, so that was always going to be tough and coming down from a D4 with all its practicalities, and can turn its hand to anything, not that the DS can't, was another thing to get used to. I hoped that given time I would get used to sitting closer to the ground. The way the DS drives is fantastic but one of the things I really miss is the fantastic SDV6 engine.

Being offered £37k (purchase price £39.5k) for the DS was a bit of a sweetener, we buy any car offered £34.5k, plus £2k dealer contribution and plate transfer, mats and mudflaps thrown in for free, I couldn't really refuse. They did say they were paying too much for my DS but as I've bought 7 cars from them they returned the loyalty. All in all a good deal I think, monthly payments went up though by an eye watering £3, well is eye watering to a Scotsman :lol:

The spec I went with is SE, Loire Blue, privacy glass and service pack (£699), it's more basic than my DS but to be honest there is things on the DS that I've never used yet. The fuel costs will be up slightly and the road tax is £265 I think, to be fair I don't do a lot of miles so at times the DS wasn't much more fuel efficient than my D4 at times. I asked about adblue tops, was told they should last between service intervals.

It was a really tough decision to make because I do like the DS, after sending my salesman a message and him replying that it was doable it did cause me a sleepless night.

To those that are waiting the DS is a good bit of kit, yes some owners are having problems, it's a new model so teething troubles are expected and yes there are areas that to me are below par for a car in this price bracket. But overall it's a good little landy, I just miss my discovery too much.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy where you are. (Hope you're not wrong about the road tax - I thought it was the full whack 425 for teh D4).

Me, I was worried I'd miss my D2 more but am entirely happy with the DS filling all the requirements I have for it...

·
Registered
896 Posts
I would be a little concerned choosing a "run-out" model (D-4) in place of a brand new model (DS). A bit like buying a 15 plate Freelander. Good cars that they both are!!

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I bought a black edition rrsport run out model 2 years ago and just lost as much money as I did over 4 years on my previous rrsport so agree with Pedro :cry:

I bought a metropolis D2 run out model in 2004 and in 2006 sold it for about £10k loss so had hoped to do the same but back then JLR price increases kept run out models in demand but not anymore :?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Like many on here, I have had very few issues with my DS, definitely no rattles or trim falling off, so must be a few teething problems on a few early releases, and I am sure the dealers will get the faults sorted.
I agree that the D4 is probably a better built car, and is probably more capable, but that's it for me, sorry but it's just dam ugly IMO, also the one I looked at had loads of creasing on the leather seats, it is very soft looking leather, so maybe it's a characteristic, but for that amount of money it's not for me!
New models are always a bit of a gamble, and some early teething problems are to be expected, especially with a brand new first time launch like the DS, who knows what the new D4, next year, will be like, I doubt it will arrive without its own list of early faults.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not selling due to faults with the DS, it's just not the car for me.

Not concerned about resale, cars are for fun not profit. I buy what suits me at the time, plus with no confirmed date as to when the next one will be out I ain't hanging around.

I don't need to worry about creasing on the leather as mine has cloth seats. It's a bog standard SE.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Great honest stuff J77. Some cars turn out to just not be right for the individual or their needs at the time. If you can get out in a fairly cost neutral way then great. The Discovery is a different car. We were new to LR, tried both, loved the commanding driving and ride of the full disco but I know I'd soon want something a bit more direct and hussleable. So DS it was. It's a great car but it's not the utility do all of the Discovery and isn't designed to be.

So with you J77, always have the cars you love and meet your needs - my problem is the love bit is stronger than the need, hence so many of my cars hang around longer than needed.

Please stay on here and keep us updated on the arrival and running of the Discovery.

·
Registered
829 Posts
:lol: All the best J77; enjoyed your positive and informed comments

Very honest except about the fact you would NEVER buy an AdBlue diesel

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know where your coming from j77
I have also agreed to part ex my d sport with the same dealer as you
I'm upgrading to a rangerover sport
You will enjoy the new d4 I have a 15 plate d4 commercial and end up driving it more than my d sport!!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
:lol: All the best J77; enjoyed your positive and informed comments

Very honest except about the fact you would NEVER buy an AdBlue diesel
Yeh, I wasn't overly keen to take an AdBlue engine, I had a look around for a 15MY EU5 engine but with a good deal on a brand new one and dealer assured me I wouldn't even know the car uses AdBlue and should last to service intervals, it was too good to turn down.

Lesson learned, never say never again, ain't that a bond film :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry to say that like J77 I am moving on from my DS...reasons..pretty much those as J77 I too am about to take delivery of a D4 SE Tech. It will be sad to see the DS go but I have to say despite being a supporter of the car from the launch,after some 6 months of living with it there's something missing, can't put my finger on it but the best way I think I can put it is that there is an old adage of having 'Permagrin' when driving your Landrover....sadly I think the DS has only 'Permasmile'....Don't get me wrong its a fine motor car but that's just it...it seems somehow too car like, and I fear that its the way forward for Landrover. The concept seems to be to appeal to the mass market...no issue with that, but they are straying away from what makes a Landrover tick somehow....I made the decision to change, much to the bemusement and surprise of SWMBO...to what I believe will be the last of the proper Landrovers...apart from some maggot keying the bonnet my DS has been faultless over its 6000mls (averaged 34.5mpg)....the biggest issue with it is the total lack of paint match on the bumpers...It looks at times like they have screwed Corris grey bumpers on my Scotia car...bizarre and at times embarrassing, you can just feel what people are thinking...

So anyway, like J77 I will keep an eye on what's occurring on the forum...good luck and good health to you all ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.