Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some kind person decided to add an extra crease into my tailgate in a Waitrose carpark and didn't leave a note, probably didn't even know they did it. I thought, well it's only a minor ding, won't be much to sort out so I'll just bite the bullet and pay, besides my insurance carries a £750 compulsory excess anyway. That's when the shock came, as well as dinging the tailgate the nice person also pushed up the black plastic trim on top of the rear bumper, you know the bit that has the checker plate type embossing on it. Now if the car was older I might have decided to leave this obvious distortion in the trim (it was very noticeable as it created a hill in an otherwise flat piece of trim), but as it's new decided to get that done as well. Took it to the body shop and there was no problem with the tailgate, bit of metal bashing/filler/paint - job done. Plastic trim on bumper - new bumper mate! But it's a separate piece, it's sitting on top of the painted bumper I responded. No, all one piece mate and the bumper comes in primer only so we'll need to paint it, remove the old one and fit the new one. Result is new bumber costs £576.61 plus the cost of paint and labour, result a total bill for a minor ding was £1200 of which £700 was the bumper alone.

If you ding your plastic bit either live with it or wait until somebody drives into the back of you and get it done with everything else.

It seems that the reason the bumpers are made this way is to save on cost as it's cheaper to make it one piece rather than two - so I've been told. The RR Evoque is exactly the same as I suspect the D5 may well be as it seems the way JLR are going.

Happy days :(

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ok, tow bar is going back on, i know a big ding is going to do more damage but it may save a minor one.
I do not fancy a bill like that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi, yes its one piece - somebody reversed into my rear passenger side bumper causing creases and i needed a whole new bumper.

I had the car repaired at an authorised LR bodyshop to preserve the warranty - they did a fantastic job.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Is it just me that thinks there's a lot more that could be done quite cheaply, to reduce the impact of this sort of behaviour. For example, the car already HAS a camera at the back - can't have cost more than £20 or so to make a system which records on a loop, like dash-cams do. So you'd have a picture of the offender! If they get close enough to ding the bumper, tehy MUST be close enough to make out the number plate! :)

A four-way view camera system with security recordings would seem not out of the question. Esp as the '16 car will have four-way cameras!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Mines going in end of the month, my tailgate suffered minor damage and luckily only the silver part of the bumper was damaged, £80 from Duckworths and £264 inc VAT to repair dent and paint tailgate at a LR dealer bodyshop, not my dealer but another branch within the group.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.