Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing some oil marks on the ground over the last few days, so had a look under the car this evening and was shocked to see half of the front under carriage soaked and dripping oil!

Anyone else had a massive oil leak like this? Car is about 4 weeks old now with about 600 miles on the clock.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
quite large drips there along the rear there, although i'd say that in my experience even a very small oil leak makes quite a lot of mess under the car as it gets blow back. Whilst it might not be as bad as it looks it's still not good! Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yikes. Unless, as suggested, it's condensate from the a/c. Have you checked the oil level?

Mind you, you know what they say - it's a Land Rover, if it doesn't drip oil, it's empty!

·
Registered
896 Posts
If it's oil, take it back to garage and get them to fix!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
PedroT said:
If it's oil, take it back to garage and get them to fix!!
Er - if it IS oil ,check the dipstick, if it's below "low", don't take it ANYWHERE under its own power. But yes, dealer should address...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Oliie, was it really oil or water?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi oliie,

I'm in France with a LHD Disco sport and have exactly the same problem than yours. Massive leak of oil transmission (yellow as gold).

Mine is year 2017 with only 9 000 km. I took some pictures on my I phone and have a rendez-vous the dealer in weeks.

Do you still know which part of your autobox was leaking ? Hope that I'm not so late cause this post is from 2015...

Regards

Julien

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Julien! Sorry to hear that. For me it was I think the filter that was loose from the factory and then started to give way. Has been fine since it was refilled and tightened.

·
Registered
741 Posts
oliie said:
Hi all - get car back today. It was transmission oil that had leaked. Pete - I will drop you our details - thanks for asking! :)
Ollie, I have just noticed this on my car today when I did my oil change, having noticed some drops in my car port floor? I know your was fixed but what was the problem. A similar issue on my old Mondeo meant I had to take the transmission off and fix a leaking crankshaft oil seal? I know it's beer warranty but I really don't need the hassle of thus at the moment??

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
BFGDSMan said:
oliie said:
Hi all - get car back today. It was transmission oil that had leaked. Pete - I will drop you our details - thanks for asking! :)
Ollie, I have just noticed this on my car today when I did my oil change, having noticed some drops in my car port floor? I know your was fixed but what was the problem. A similar issue on my old Mondeo meant I had to take the transmission off and fix a leaking crankshaft oil seal? I know it's beer warranty but I really don't need the hassle of thus at the moment??
I've seen a crankshaft oil seal on here before from martinc
https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4822&p=52351&hilit=Crankshaft+oil+seal#p52351

And another here
https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4398&p=47409&hilit=Oil+leak#p47409

·
Registered
741 Posts
Erghhh! Thanks for the steer to other posts. I know from my Mondeo the amount of oil that leaked was tiny but it looked much worse. I was just hanging on at the time as the DMF was on the way out and only wanted to do the whole replacement job once.

Never easy being an LR owner....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Update - been to the stealers today. Turns out it's the deal from the transfer box to the autobox seal :( . There is lots of oil under the car and now spots thrown up onto the rear bumper and boot. Since I need to get to UK next week, I shall call LR assist and get it towed to the stealer over the weekend and use a loan car for the trip as he can't fix it till at least Thursday.

Reckons it the first time he's seen the problem. Bigger problem for me us aparantly the transfer box only holds just over a litre so not margin for error with lack of oil and when he tried to under the filler plug to top it up to get me home he couldn't shift it.......

More to follow....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone

I recently parked my DS facing up a steep hill and came back to find a patch of fluid near the offside rear wheel. Looking under the car...this patch started below the engine, so an immediate visit to the dealer ensued...where they diagnosed a leaking transmission which needs seal replacements! Apparently, the leaking fluid sat in the 'pan' below the engine and ran out because the car was facing uphill! On the level it doesn't get noticed but it makes you wonder how much fluid loss there needs to be before the pan is 'full' and shows itself, especially as the pan is lined with sound insulation which would soak the fluid up! I was a little concerned about the amount of loss, but the dealer assured me that it was safe to drive it and there won't be any damage done. The car is due to go in on Thursday for the seal replacement which is a transmission out job and they keep the car for two days. Wilst there, I've asked them to look at the stop-start system which is very jumpy after starting again and the hesitation that the car has when pulling away at time, particulary coming up to a roundabout or similar.

More items to be added to the .....cracked turbo housing.... two replacement fuel tanks.... replacement rear lights.... replacement steering wheel.... replacement parcel shelf......

·
Registered
741 Posts
Still I currently have a VW Tiguan hIre Car from Sixt Rental. Wow a Sat Nav that starts immediately, allows you to enter text as quickly as you can type, an HD display and proper zoom in an out - JLR please sit in one of these cars and copy! Rant over. Well not quite, 5.3 l/100km for the same journey in my DS that is 7.5 l/100km (53 mpg vs 37 mpg) and this is the 150ps 4motion model.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Spinthehills said:
Hi everyone

I recently parked my DS facing up a steep hill and came back to find a patch of fluid near the offside rear wheel. Looking under the car...this patch started below the engine, so an immediate visit to the dealer ensued...where they diagnosed a leaking transmission which needs seal replacements! Apparently, the leaking fluid sat in the 'pan' below the engine and ran out because the car was facing uphill! On the level it doesn't get noticed but it makes you wonder how much fluid loss there needs to be before the pan is 'full' and shows itself, especially as the pan is lined with sound insulation which would soak the fluid up! I was a little concerned about the amount of loss, but the dealer assured me that it was safe to drive it and there won't be any damage done. The car is due to go in on Thursday for the seal replacement which is a transmission out job and they keep the car for two days. Wilst there, I've asked them to look at the stop-start system which is very jumpy after starting again and the hesitation that the car has when pulling away at time, particulary coming up to a roundabout or similar.

More items to be added to the .....cracked turbo housing.... two replacement fuel tanks.... replacement rear lights.... replacement steering wheel.... replacement parcel shelf......
Wow ,you've had some problems to content with!
This leaking transmission seal is maybe one for others to look out for , especially as it can happen un noticed. Thanks for posting so others can keep their eyes open for this.
The hesitation with transmission has its own thread on here with various degrees of success with software fixes , but nothing for the 2.2 engine I believe.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
BFGDSMan said:
Still I currently have a VW Tiguan hIre Car from Sixt Rental. Wow a Sat Nav that starts immediately, allows you to enter text as quickly as you can type, an HD display and proper zoom in an out - JLR please sit in one of these cars and copy! Rant over. Well not quite, 5.3 l/100km for the same journey in my DS that is 7.5 l/100km (53 mpg vs 37 mpg) and this is the 150ps 4motion model.
And, for those interested there's now a 7 seater version available. Everyone that I've spoken to (mainly on camp sites) has been very pleased and were quite happy with the towing capability.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Problem was oil seal between gearbox and transfer box. One issue since return is that there is the DD flat spot around 30 mph/50kph.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.