Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had a question around whether I should go for a dealership service or a independent service.
I have been quoted £999 for a 6yr service (60k?) and previously I always had the main dealership service for the previous services but was just wondering due to the price this time whether the increased price is worth it. I believe the independent is around £270.
  • Any obvious advantages functionally LR service do that independents don't?
  • When it comes to resale value, is that LR service more valuable? is that a factor?
  • Any additional considerations when choosing the service?
Just wondering what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
447 Posts
OK I have just looked at the difference between the 42k and 60k services - my dealer carried out a 42k service for £650ish last October.
Pollen filter, oil filter, oil, and sump plug on both.
42k says replace air filter 60k doesn't
42k says replace fuel filter 60k says drain it.
42k says replace brake fluid (bet they didn't), 60k says replace the brake hoses!!!

They both say check for recalls and outstanding service actions.

So if they are going to replace ALL the hoses it might be justified, if not I would go for another 42k service and save £350 - that's what I will be doing in 9,800 miles.
The only benefits with a LR service is they might check for outstanding service actions, and they update the online service history.

When it comes to resale where it was serviced doesn't really matter, that it was serviced does.

I have been driving an awful long time, and the only brake hose issues I have had are them being cut, either snagged off-road or not clipped securely and one became free then sliced by the disc. Other than that they tend to last 10+years, changing them for braided hoses can make a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy for the detail, that helps.
I believe I do remember them saying they would replace the break hoses (not sure if it's all but would imagine so).

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have taken out the extended warranty - so am tied to LR dealership.
Then again I have my servicing is all over the shop, first registered Dec 2018, mine November 2019 with 9k on the clock, oil change at 10k, 20k service at 13k, intermediate oil change at 24k, 42k service at 32k, oil change at 42k, going to get the second 42k service at 52k and transmission oil replacement at that point.
Speaking of which anyone done an oil change on the active driveline? How much?

Absolutely paranoid about oil changes, the timing chain will be the first to suffer if the oil quality falls and it will wreck the engine if it fails.
As a forklift engineer for over 20 years I have absolutely no faith in electric cars, new they should be fine, but a few years down the line ??? so this ones a keeper.

Reactions: Gjh0702

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi,
I had a question around whether I should go for a dealership service or a independent service.
I have been quoted £999 for a 6yr service (60k?) and previously I always had the main dealership service for the previous services but was just wondering due to the price this time whether the increased price is worth it. I believe the independent is around £270.
  • Any obvious advantages functionally LR service do that independents don't?
  • When it comes to resale value, is that LR service more valuable? is that a factor?
  • Any additional considerations when choosing the service?
Just wondering what your thoughts are.
My first Q would be what's the mileage and engine type?

Then, make sure you register on the Land Rover site for My Land Rover which allows you to see the fixed price service costs for cars over 3 years old. You can book this at a main dealer.

The only service that should be around the £1000 mark is the 105k or 10 years service which looks like it also changes the transmission and diff oil as well as ancillary belt.

To see exactly what you get for a main dealer service, if you go the Online Service History website, you can download the actual job sheets which shows you exactly what should get checked, what fluids will be topped up or replaced. Ultimately all the checks take time which is what you are paying for.

Personally when looking at a car's service history (and a Disco Sport in particular) I'd give preference to one that was main dealer serviced, or at least had the correct service carried out by a registered independent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first Q would be what's the mileage and engine type?

Then, make sure you register on the Land Rover site for My Land Rover which allows you to see the fixed price service costs for cars over 3 years old. You can book this at a main dealer.

The only service that should be around the £1000 mark is the 105k or 10 years service which looks like it also changes the transmission and diff oil as well as ancillary belt.

To see exactly what you get for a main dealer service, if you go the Online Service History website, you can download the actual job sheets which shows you exactly what should get checked, what fluids will be topped up or replaced. Ultimately all the checks take time which is what you are paying for.

Personally when looking at a car's service history (and a Disco Sport in particular) I'd give preference to one that was main dealer serviced, or at least had the correct service carried out by a registered independent.
Thanks, will do.
Mine is 53k and Diesel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I posted about this a coup,e of weeks back.

In the end, I went to a LR Approved Independent who carried out the 64k Service to specification (brake hoses not required as in good condition) for £249 all in. Saving me £430. Being Approved, they had access to TopIx and no updates were necessary, and the OSH was updated accordingly.

i wasn’t aware that by renewing the extended warranty, you HAD to use the main dealer network for servicing either, as mentioned above by Andy131. I haven’t seen any caveats in the terms and conditions that state this, can anybody point me in the direction of where I might find this information? It’s an expensive product at £88/month, and I’m would hate to think that I have invalidated any future claims because I didn’t use Listers or Marshalls.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I posted about this a coup,e of weeks back.

In the end, I went to a LR Approved Independent who carried out the 64k Service to specification (brake hoses not required as in good condition) for £249 all in. Saving me £430. Being Approved, they had access to TopIx and no updates were necessary, and the OSH was updated accordingly.

i wasn’t aware that by renewing the extended warranty, you HAD to use the main dealer network for servicing either, as mentioned above by Andy131. I haven’t seen any caveats in the terms and conditions that state this, can anybody point me in the direction of where I might find this information? It’s an expensive product at £88/month, and I’m would hate to think that I have invalidated any future claims because I didn’t use Listers or Marshalls.

Thanks in advance.
I believe Andy's claim is incorrect. The policy states that where a non-Land Rover retailer completes a service it is up to you to have proof that they have done so to the LR approved standards. As I mentioned you can get the LR job sheet for a service from the OSH site, and I would imagine each of these things would need accounting for if they were going to get picky. If they are an approved LR independent then you would hope the warranty company would treat them similarly to a main dealer, as I've not seen a completed copy of that sheet with a service from them :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
OK I have checked the warranty booklet and it states:
"It is recommended that a Land Rover retailer completes the service, however where the service is completed by a non-Land Rover retailer it will need to meet the manufacturers approved standards and You will need to be able to provide a fully itemised receipt".

TBH I hadn't heard of LR approved repairers rather than dealers, but the local LR dealership have been excellent in respect to repairs to both my DS, so will still be getting my hard earned cash for a while yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
OK I have checked the warranty booklet and it states:
"It is recommended that a Land Rover retailer completes the service, however where the service is completed by a non-Land Rover retailer it will need to meet the manufacturers approved standards and You will need to be able to provide a fully itemised receipt".

TBH I hadn't heard of LR approved repairers rather than dealers, but the local LR dealership have been excellent in respect to repairs to both my DS, so will still be getting my hard earned cash for a while yet.
In the case of @Sir Martin James above, since the independent service agents he used did not stick to the LR service schedule by not changing the brake pipes (which I agree, sounds a bit odd) I presume that this breaks that term and the extended warranty is at risk of not being honoured.

·
Registered
12 Posts
LR Approved independents are thin on the ground these days, but a few remain. Team Valley in Gateshead, EH Douglas in Banbury, Rovertune in Reading etc. My understanding is that to remain approved the service technicians still need to attend the training workshops etc and subscribe to the software/hardware portals, much the same as a main dealer. And no doubt pay for the privilege as well.

The service was carried out to specification, but the flexible brake hoses were perfectly ok and so weren’t changed. As they did pads and discs all round at the same time, they changed the brake fluid as well, which was over and above what was on the spec sheet for this particular service, so that could be argued if they tried to wriggle. If the rear diff went, for example, surely that has no bearing on flexible brake hoses, therefore a claim should be honoured? I say should be, but at the end of the day they are an insurer, and will most likely wriggle, like they all try to do.

Many thanks for the advice, I shall call them later today and update the thread accordingly with my findings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A further update.

I spoke in detail to CarCare Plan this afternoon regarding this and as far as they are concerned, ANY VAT registered garage can service the vehicle, provided the following points are observed.

1) The vehicle MUST be serviced within 1 month/1000 miles of the indicator telling you in the display.
2) The service must be carried out to LR schedule as found online. With regards the flexible brake hoses scenario, if there was an engine related issue, then they wouldn’t discount the claim as it would not have been a cause for consequential loss. But if say a calliper seized, they would be within their rights to argue that the hoses not being changed as scheduled could be the root cause, and as they weren’t changed etc etc.
3) The parts fitted must be genuine LR or OEM Approved. In this case, Britpart specifically, these are fine.
4) A VAT invoice detailing what parts were used, with corresponding part numbers is the only evidence that the vehicle has been serviced to schedule that they will accept in the event of a claim.

So fairly standard stuff really. Which has reassured me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes :)

With regard to the replacing of the flexible brake hoses at the 63k service, this is quite new. My car had it's 63k service in November '21 and at that point they were not included. They were added shortly after as I did notice (when looking for something else) that the 63k service had shot up in price so looked to see why and noticed the replacement.

So there will be cars out there that have had a main dealer service at 63k but not had the hoses replaced. My car has just had it's MOT and no advisories were noted for these hoses starting to deteriorate, again done at a main dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts