Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it move with the seat when you slide them forward ?

Most of the time i will have the seats forward for the dogs, but on the odd occasions i have passengers they will be slid back. I was just thinking if the guard is fitted to the sides then they could be a gap when you move the seats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
brough74 said:
Does it move with the seat when you slide them forward ?

Most of the time i will have the seats forward for the dogs, but on the odd occasions i have passengers they will be slid back. I was just thinking if the guard is fitted to the sides then they could be a gap when you move the seats.
The luggage divider has to be bolted to the actual vehicle. I bought the half-height divider, but have not yet installed it, as it comes with hundreds of screws and bolts - and you have to remove most of the boot components to bolt it to the actual bodywork. You will also have to drill a whole in the plastic interior panel on the left and right. I would suggest taking a closer look at your LR dealer prior to embarking on this. I was actually going to buy the dog guard too, but I'm glad I didn't. One of the worst designs I've ever seen.

I don't think the divider moves with the seats (please correct me if I'm wrong), as it is bolted to the body of the vehicle. Also, you will lose quite a bit of boot space towards the roof, as the divider is bent backwards at the top.

Let me know if you need any more info - I could take a pic of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I have the dog guard and it doesn't move with the seat, it is fixed to the side panels and floor. I had LR dealer fit this and glad I did as it needs holes cut in the rear side panels and these need removed to fit retaining brackets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Gogsy said:
I have the dog guard and it doesn't move with the seat, it is fixed to the side panels and floor. I had LR dealer fit this and glad I did as it needs holes cut in the rear side panels and these need removed to fit retaining brackets.
Just out of interest, can you remember what you paid for having it fitted?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I answered this before but can't find it now. If I remember correctly it was around £300 fitted as a dealer fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
I'm looking at a dog guard. The JLR contraption looks like a Victorian iron bedstead that has to be fitted to the vehicle. Drilling holes and a significant amount of scaffolding behind the second row into the boot (and that's the half height version).
Whilst it's technically removable it's not really a pop out job when you need the third row.

I've been researching dog guards that bolt on to the second row headrests and can be removed with as little hastle as possible.

I've found this Italian manufacturer:
http://www.ergo-tech.it/eng/

Still deciding

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Check out 'Travall' website https://www.travall.co.uk. Their gear is really well made and installs and removes in minutes with no drilling at all required. I would highly recommend them as I've had the dog guard and divider in my CX-5 for 2 1/2 years with no problems at all. I have cancelled my order of the LR dog guard and am going Travall again after reading the poor reviews and comments of the LR items. IMHO the vehicle manufacturers don't put the design effort into accessories like dog guards as they are low sales volume items, whereas the specialist companies like Travall live or die by their designs, so they have a real incentive to deliver a quality design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks like at the moment it will be a travall one, unless i find a better one while im waiting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
If the Land Rover half height one noisy in the back.. I remember my dads one making a hell of a racket!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
whitetiger said:
If the Land Rover half height one noisy in the back.. I remember my dads one making a hell of a racket!
The pukka LR one in my D2 was quiet as the grave. If it did rattle, it was because it wasn't installed properly, or because the second dog-guard I had connected to it as a horizontal shelf at the top of the boot was not in its correct place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
whitetiger said:
If the Land Rover half height one noisy in the back.. I remember my dads one making a hell of a racket!
I only have the full one but it is solid and quiet. It is more difficult to remove/refit than the one in the FL2 but not a big issue as I don't do this often.
I think it needs to be fitted to the bodywork as the rear seats can be moved in the DS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi Lozza,

I'm looking for a used set of the Travall dog guard, boot divider & boot mat for a CX5 which i'm getting in the next couple of months - a google search picked up your post! Do you still own these and if so will you sell when your DS arrives? I would likely be interested if you are..

Thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,833 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I decided to go with the official Land Rover Full Height Divider and persuaded a colleague of mine to fit it. My colleague is slightly OCD and has done an excellent job, (I suspect better than a dealer would have done) . On placing the brackets to secure the bottom of the divider we noticed that the plastic strip which holds the bracket and the cargo attachment loops now has some lateral movement. I visited my local dealer today to check this was as expected and if the bracket I had was in anyway defective and the very friendly and helpful technician informed me that the part was correct and that the ones he had fitted was the same.
Has anyone else had one of these fitted? and if so do you have the lateral movement or has anyone found a way to cure this. Any input would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I also have the official Landrover full height dog guard that I had fitted by my dealership - the initial installation is somewhat more complicated than with my previous Freelander version. It is substantial and well-made but in my view rather over-priced. Once installed, it is very solid which is reassuring if - like me - you travel with a 45 kilo canine. Should the worst happen neither you or your hound what him to join you in the front seat!!

That said, although it can be removed to give you access to the full boot area / 3rd row seats, this will take you a good 10 - 15 minutes - not so simple as previously on the Freelander. You also need to do some improvisation to use this guard in conjunction with the official bootliner since the liner cannot be fitted around the 2nd row headrests with the guard in position - solution, use Velcro strips to fix it to the guard instead.

Nat - I haven't experienced any noticeable lateral movement that you describe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
To my mind, coming from the large touring/estate car world, JLR remain in the 4 x 4 "world" in their thinking on luggage safety/dog guards, and frankly for a soft SUV that's overkill!

Take a look at the excellent roller blind type systems from BMW (5 series) and Audi. They are integrated in the bar for the rear parcel shelf. That bar is dual purpose and can also be slotted to the back of the seats once they are folded down and the guard blind pulled from floor to ceiling to provide full protection from front seat occupants when fully loaded. It works on a quick release mechanism like seat belts.

This
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Geordie said:
To my mind, coming from the large touring/estate car world, JLR remain in the 4 x 4 "world" in their thinking on luggage safety/dog guards, and frankly for a soft SUV that's overkill!

Take a look at the excellent roller blind type systems from BMW (5 series) and Audi. They are integrated in the bar for the rear parcel shelf. That bar is dual purpose and can also be slotted to the back of the seats once they are folded down and the guard blind pulled from floor to ceiling to provide full protection from front seat occupants when fully loaded. It works on a quick release mechanism like seat belts.
I agree - Mercedes use a similar set up and it works well. Not sure it would work with the movable seats in the DS though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Rafael said:
Geordie said:
To my mind, coming from the large touring/estate car world, JLR remain in the 4 x 4 "world" in their thinking on luggage safety/dog guards, and frankly for a soft SUV that's overkill!

Take a look at the excellent roller blind type systems from BMW (5 series) and Audi. They are integrated in the bar for the rear parcel shelf. That bar is dual purpose and can also be slotted to the back of the seats once they are folded down and the guard blind pulled from floor to ceiling to provide full protection from front seat occupants when fully loaded. It works on a quick release mechanism like seat belts.
I agree - Mercedes use a similar set up and it works well. Not sure it would work with the movable seats in the DS though.
Should work fine as it's anchor pts are the roof (that doesn't move!) and the seat back (so it moves with the seat)

Frankly I'm amazed they received maximum NCAP rating for the DS without a standard fitment luggage retainer. If you roll it, it's the luggage that will chop your head off (and yes, I've rolled a few car's ....Escort Mexico, Devils Own Rally 1984)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top