Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land Rover is considering a more performance-oriented version of the new Discovery Sport to rival the likes of the Audi SQ5.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Land Rover director of programs Murray Dietsch admitted that the Discovery Sport was not an "outwardly sporty vehicle", but responded "I'd like to make it one" when asked about the possibility of a more powerful variant.

"We'll see how it goes with the market," Dietsch told Australian journalists in Paris.

The Australian-born engineer said that a sporty Discovery Sport, while entirely hypothetical at the moment, would not necessarily use a high-power turbo petrol engine, but could feature a torquey diesel similar to the Audi SQ5.

"We've got sporty derivatives of other vehicles in Europe that have got higher output engines that are diesel, so it would be horses for courses I think," he said.

"If you did a 300hp [224kW] petrol or something like that then there's probably not going to be a huge amount of call for it in Europe, but if you did a 250hp [186kW] diesel then there might be."

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/313386/land-rover-discovery-sport-british-brand-considering-sporty-audi-sq5-rival/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
looks just like mine, only clean

·
Registered
567 Posts
Money on a 6 cylinder 3.0d ingenium then?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd be very happy with the 3.0 V6 340PS Supercharged Petrol from the Jaguar range

·
Registered
861 Posts
Think manufactures will be nudged back towards petrol engines in the near future, since it turns out that diesels are actually killing us!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Its will just be a reprogrammed ingenium 4 cylinder engine as i have had done to my 2.2 .... would be good to find a company that can reprogram the auto gearbox. ...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My money would be on a two stage turbo on the 2,0 petrol ingenium unit or maybe a supercharger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I cant actually see Land Rover making this car.
1) there current ingenium units propaply wont get to 280HP and be reliable there struggling with Reliability now at 180HP!
2) The car would need to go on Air suspension +alot of extra upgrades.
3) The price of there current high spec std car is at £45K when a porsche Macan and Audi SQ5 is also starting at £45K

·
Registered
107 Posts
sweetpeaamanda said:
1) there current ingenium units propaply wont get to 280HP and be reliable there struggling with Reliability now at 180HP!
Do you have references for this statement, while there are various issues I'm not aware of any engine reliability issues

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
sweetpeaamanda said:

3) The price of there current high spec std car is at £45K when a porsche Macan and Audi SQ5 is also starting at £45K
Also on this one to spec the Macan up to the spec of the high spec DS it would be in the mid £50000 range. Not sure about Audi as totally uninterested in it, vast majority of DS owners don't buy their cars for performance which is where the other 2 score.

·
Registered
265 Posts
And if Audi and Porsche were to offer the same off-road capability and 7 seats then they would have to hike their prices. its 'horses for courses', you need to decide whether you want an off-road vehicle or a sports car.
As for the extra power issue Volvo seem to be doing pretty well with their 2 litre engines so why not LR. Aditionally I'm not aware of the engine reliability problems Sweetpeaamanda is alluding to, would someone care to enlighten me?
Tim

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a friend who is a mechanic for a Jaguar Land Rover Dealer, While he stays tight lipped, I managed to prise some info from him.
Fuel pumps are failing and that is why there is a hold up for delivery of Cars currently in both Jaguar XE and Evoque and DS
once the backlog of new cars and current manufacturing clears he thinks there will be a recall on earlier cars.
There is a fuse related problem with some cars I think thats Jaguar related.
A wiring harness problem with Evoque and DS with new built the Ingenium engine.
Gearboxes problem causing all cars to not select a gear at all, (He wont tell what the cause is he just laugths)
Yes all of the above are mostly teething problems but really!
This Engine has alot of Miles to go before it can prove better then the bullit proof 2.2!
I asked him what engine he would own and he said the 2.2! and hes the mechanic staying tight lipped.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The 2.2 is the better engine for sure. The 180BHP TD4 is gutless and I feel is too underpowered for the DS. Emissions tail, wagging dog...If they boost it to 200BHP, the mpg would be down near 30 I would expect.

Best thing left is Hybrid tech.....sadly lacking on the DS as yet....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Like Triple7 stated, maybe they go for a hybrid solution to gain performance with lower fuel consumption.
LRF should not wait too long before jumping on this new tech train as many competitors will launch hybrid versions really soon.
Anyway adding 2 electro motors on the rear drive shaft is no rocket science nowadays in my eyes.....just nibble of some more fuel tank capacity to store the batteries :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
305 Posts
The Mercedes CLA 45 AMG manages to squeeze 381hp and 475 nm of torque from a 2.0 also has a combined mpg of 38.7 and is EU6 compliant so it's pretty amazing what they can get out of engines these days. I would consider chopping in my S5 for one of these but I need the V8 to compensate my tiny penis syndrome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts