Discovery Sport Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
cpetzny said:
Hello,

I'm also getting the dreaded message. I've had LR Assist round and they said the battery and alternator are fine, it's down to not driving it enough. However, even after a few longer drives (over an hour, less than three) the message still showed up. Sometimes immediately after stopping the engine, other times after a day or so. I invested in a CTEK MSX5.0 charger and let it run its cycle until it showed the battery as fully charged. 12 hours later and the low battery message is back.

Any clues what else I can check? Or is it time to book it in?

Cheers,
Chris.
Do you have a dash cam or other third party device hard wired that could be draining the battery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
sandbox said:
Do you have a dash cam or other third party device hard wired that could be draining the battery?
Nothing like that. There's an iPod plugged into a USB port, but that shuts down shortly after the ignition is switched off.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My suggestion is going for a few longer drives. This happened to me for a greater part of 2 months even after charging with a CTEK Charger. it's only after I did a very long trip(London to Ipswich) when my start stop function returned and low battery message went away. I would suggest motorway driving as well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
When you use the charger, run the cable up through the bonnet and rest the charger on the wipers. Shut the bonnet and double lock the car. This ensures all the electronics go to sleep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
nmjeria said:
My suggestion is going for a few longer drives. This happened to me for a greater part of 2 months even after charging with a CTEK Charger. it's only after I did a very long trip(London to Ipswich) when my start stop function returned and low battery message went away. I would suggest motorway driving as well.
Good plan. I have the charger "hard wired" with the comfort lead hooked up to the battery positive terminal and a chassis ground, but maybe the BMS needs to recalibrate itself anyway. Weirdly, the message appeared after a short (2.6 mile) drive yesterday, yet when I jumped in the car today, there was no warning...

sandbox said:
When you use the charger, run the cable up through the bonnet and rest the charger on the wipers. Shut the bonnet and double lock the car. This ensures all the electronics go to sleep.
Yep, doing that. I've put it on the charger again today. Maybe a few cycles will help. Also as mentioned above, no warning message this morning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a leased Disco, fortunately with maintenance and have just started the last year of a three year contract. Car went in 4 weeks ago for it's first service (done around 16k miles) and a few days later I had a 'Low coolant' warning. Thought nothing more and topped it up, though was surprised this wasn't checked at the service. Now a couple of weeks later I've noticed no Stop/Start, the tailgate opener sometimes fails and I then had the Low Battery warning. Started the car and it went and so far, 2 days later, hasn't returned, though still no Stop/Start. Obviously as I have maintenance included I'll probably contact the dealership but should I be worried that I'll be hit with something that's not included, like needing a new battery?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this problem for around 4 months and despite leaving it on charge for days on end (and driving it) the start/stop never came back. In the end I bit the bullet and got a new battery fitted by an LR independent who also reset the BMS. Since then no issues and start/stop works all the time (although I mostly turn it off once it has shown me that's it's still working).

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had this issue for months and even at the last service ,i told them at the time along with low tyre pressure and the dealer did not do anything so my experience with Land Rover service is they are crap. Anyway recently we had the EML come on so plugged in my sealey code reader and although there were no fault codes stored ,permanent or pending i cleared all codes anyway.
So far in the past 2 weeks no low battery ,the tailgate opens and start stop has started working , don't know why but sod going to the dealer in future

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm looking into trickle chargers.
I've never had a problem with my 15 Disco Sport but with the extension of the ULEZ, it means driving into London is uneconomical so it's not really driven in the week and only on the weekends. Not unsurprisingly, I'm now getting the low battery warning.
It seems most people recommend the CTEK MsS 5.0 which is great.
https://amzn.to/31El74x <--- is this right?
https://amzn.to/2Ys0lE2 <---- this one also charges which could be useful for our other cars but presumably I can still use it as a trickle charger?
I have as embarrassing lack of any technical knowledge but I thought I read somewhere that this could get connected to the tow bar electrics, is that right or should I just connect it directly to the battery. I didn't quite understand about clipping something to the bodywork.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Home Page will give you more information,, maybe to much.
Both chargers can be used with any vehicle the 7 has a larger price and supplies more amperes ,ideal for larger batteries.
I have the CTEK 5 and it works very well, I normally use it once a month in winter or every second month in summer if only doing short drives. I seems to complete charging after 4 hours but never have really timed it

I have mine connected to the battery directly with no problems and my battery is 6 years old and looks to last a few more. Car went into service Dec of 2015 and not sure how long the battery was in the car from production date, shipping to North America, shipping to west coast of Canada and sitting on dealer's lot. We have hotter summer's (A/C load ) colder winters (Heating Loads ) and way more rain than any place in the UK (wipers and headlights on all the time) hmm raining as I post LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks.
On the Ctek7 which I pickled up today, how do I know if I need to charge it as normal or AGM. Can someone please advise me whether theDisco Sport has standard or AGM Batteries? Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 LR Discovery Sport HSE Luxury
2 Posts
I'm also sorry to revive this thread, but my wife just bought a previously owned 2015 Disco Sport, and we have these very same problems. While we LOVE the fact that the Start/Stop doesn't work, the battery warning and tailgate issues are aggravating. I don't necessarily have an issue bringing it in to the local dealership, and I should probably do that anyway to have the vehicle inspected, I don't want to waste time or money. Has this problem been addressed properly by LR? OR is the trickle charge and/or battery replacement the only option. Reading back, that isn't a guaranteed fix either. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried three times to get this problem resolved by Land Rover without success, they simply recharged the battery only for the fault to re-occur. Having recently driven from Devon to the Butt of Lewis and back and still had the fault, I decided to try something else, noting how low the normal RPM of the engine is.
Driving in Sport Mode quickly resolves the problem due to higher RPM as does driving at a lower than normal gear in Command Shift. Seems like LR have fitted a larger pulley to the alternators than they should have done to reduce fuel consumption - probably far too expensive to recall!

·
Registered
2015 LR Discovery Sport HSE Luxury
2 Posts
I have tried three times to get this problem resolved by Land Rover without success, they simply recharged the battery only for the fault to re-occur. Having recently driven from Devon to the Butt of Lewis and back and still had the fault, I decided to try something else, noting how low the normal RPM of the engine is.
Driving in Sport Mode quickly resolves the problem due to higher RPM as does driving at a lower than normal gear in Command Shift. Seems like LR have fitted a larger pulley to the alternators than they should have done to reduce fuel consumption - probably far too expensive to recall!
Interesting. That makes sense. I tend to use sport mode quite often due to where I live in the hills. Thinking about it, I see the warning less frequently when I do that. I’ll keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the warning come on and scheduled a visit to the dealer. They were able to run tests to identify that one of the modules was not shutting down and was causing a battery drain while the vehicle was parked. They reset and updated the software for the module and all is well now. When I first got the vehicle back the stop/start didn't work and I thought maybe that the problem wasn't resolved. After a week the stop/start began kicking in at lights so perhaps it just needed some battery charge time while driving.

Reactions: Aido62
121 - 137 of 137 Posts