Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new Discovery Sport and it is a great leap forward in many ways over the Freelander but there are some items which I miss greatly from my much loved Freelander.

1) In the Freelander there was the ability to store ten compact discs in the system and play individual ones; no such joy in my HSE Luxury. I have now had to buy an iPod, purchase on iTunes copies of CDs already in my possession and for thoses CDs which are not on iTunes download them onto my ancient laptop. I then defy Bill Gates to successfully download them onto an iPod. For such an expensive vehicle there should be the ability the play CDs. Furthermore it is distracting having to manage the iPod whilst driving.

2) In about 2012 after customer consultation an attractive round clock was placed in the middle of the Freelander dashboard.For those like me who do not wear a watch it was invaluable and clear, Nothing similar was put in the DS so when wanting to know the time when parked the ignition has be switched on as there is no clock display otherwise

3) The car is kept in central London and when getting into it the ability to open the sunroof to obtain fresh air and see the sky was much appreciated which continued when driving. The new panoramic roof is great but does not come as far forward as the old sunroof and to obtain proper fresh air the windows have to be kept open which disturbs the dog (and my hair). I appreciate that it would be quite a major change to put sunroofs in but perhaps the successor to the DS could have this facility, even as an option

4) As has been discussed before in this Forum the radio pre-sets are maddening in that in the Freelander every time you scrolled forward by pushing the steering wheel button you always obtained a pre-set station whether BBC or National (such as Classic FM). Now, with the DS, scrolling forward depends on your "source" at the top of the screen so if listening to the BBC on a pre-set station, you can only obtain BBC stations whether they are pre-set or not. If one of your pre-sets is a national radio station you have to physically push the pre-set button on the screen which is both annoying and distracting.

Otherwise love the DS - it is a fabulous car and a great credit to Land Rover.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good to see your feedback as I await my DS to replace second FL2.

Your comment about the clock is interesting - I had not noticed the lack of it on DS test drive. Having said that, my FL2 shows the clock on the dash and on the info/SatNav screen as well as the clock so a bit of an overkill even if they are cleverly all synchronised by the system settingsl
You can upload CDs to your iPod from a laptop or PC - you do not need to buy iTunes copies of CDs you already have.
Note you description of the sunroof. I had one in my first FL2 with opening front half but thrifted it out on ordering my current car. Looking forward to having the light increase but I can do with out the opening, the extra mechanism and the potential for leaks. I think the 3rd row passengers will appreciate it to.

Glad everything else is to your liking

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
[quote="Sneeze"
1) In the Freelander there was the ability to store ten compact discs in the system and play individual ones; no such joy in my HSE Luxury. I have now had to buy an iPod, purchase on iTunes copies of CDs already in my possession and for thoses CDs which are not on iTunes download them onto my ancient laptop. I then defy Bill Gates to successfully download them onto an iPod. For such an expensive vehicle there should be the ability the play CDs. Furthermore it is distracting having to manage the iPod whilst driving.[/quote]

You didn't have to and you don't. You could just have bought a £30 USB stick and put all your music on that. And the voice control of the music player is pretty good, actually, speaking as someone who is cynical about voice control. And you didn't need to re-purchase anything, conversion of CDs to MP3s has been going on since before apple even thought of the ipod.

And /or, store the music on your phone.

Frankly, CD drives, esp multi-disk ones, just too many moving parts to go wrong, glad to see the back of it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sneeze said:
1) In the Freelander there was the ability to store ten compact discs in the system and play individual ones; no such joy in my HSE Luxury. I have now had to buy an iPod, purchase on iTunes copies of CDs already in my possession and for thoses CDs which are not on iTunes download them onto my ancient laptop. I then defy Bill Gates to successfully download them onto an iPod. For such an expensive vehicle there should be the ability the play CDs. Furthermore it is distracting having to manage the iPod whilst driving..
Number 1, l did like the sat nav in the freelander, the arm rests and the flat boot space, but the DS is better in a lot of ways.
Number 2, You do not have to buy from iTunes CD's you already have, you just copy your own CD's across to your iTunes library, if you get stuck let me know and l will do a step by step for you.
Number 3, Give the iPod away and just use a USB stick and leave inserted in center console, just update it when you want new songs, No need to copy iTunes across, just open up music folder, open iTunes and drag each song across, takes a few seconds.
regards
tony

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Tony,

Thank you for your kind offer to help download CDs into an iPod but am going to get a computer expert to come and sort out the music and photographs on computer, iPods and iPads - it is all too confusing...

I actually prefer the armrests on the DS over the Freelander as found the latter rather thin and uncomfortable on a long journey whereas the DS is large and flat.

The graphics on the DS Satnav are better but miss greatly the split screen function showing both long and short views. The DS Satnav seems slightly slower in turn indications and now often sail past turnings just as they are announced.

I wish we could obtain the wing mirror warning system of cars behind but slightly hidden from view which some countries have the option for. Would gladly give up the parking assist which is no good to man nor beast (living in central London parking holds no terrors for me but I suppose some might find it useful).

Happy DS motoring!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'd like to try 9spd auto and ingenium in Freelander (if a conversion could be carried out).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.