Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know that you need to look after your keys, I managed to lose mine whilst strimming a river bank yesterday, cost of fob + programming+ new emergency key is about £305 - ouch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
According to a Dutch Land Rover dealer that's because a few years back it was to easy to read and clone your key and drive off with the car due to the fact that the service plug was just used to clone the key. Now they still do that but now have to "rebuild" (just the software) the complete car which cause massive delay when cloning your key an stealing your car which is positive, downside is that if you loose your key its cost you money.

Not sure if it's true, but this is just the info I got from my soon to be dealer.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting charged half an hours labour for programming the key so will probably take 10 minutes, would imagine the thieves in the know can do it quicker.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
philn said:
I am getting charged half an hours labour for programming the key so will probably take 10 minutes, would imagine the thieves in the know can do it quicker.
About 30sec to a minute apparently.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Dutch_Disco said:
According to a Dutch Land Rover dealer that's because a few years back it was to easy to read and clone your key and drive off with the car due to the fact that the service plug was just used to clone the key. Now they still do that but now have to "rebuild" (just the software) the complete car which cause massive delay when cloning your key an stealing your car which is positive, downside is that if you loose your key its cost you money.

Not sure if it's true, but this is just the info I got from my soon to be dealer.
Probably is. You used to just tell the car to recognise the new key, which the dealer charged £80 odd for but took ten seconds if you had a Novacom, or knew someone who did.

Nowadays, that's not how they steal your car. Not if you have "keyless" access, at least, they can replicate the *signals* with a booster/repeater.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moose said:
philn said:
Sorry Moose they have to drive it into the workshop and check the autonomous braking works. :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
philn said:
Moose said:
philn said:
Sorry Moose they have to drive it into the workshop and check the autonomous braking works. :D
Ah but to do that they would have to ensure the workshop was moving... in a south easterly direction... at between 12 and 13 MPH... on a cool October night... with a full moon... or something.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ozport you forgot that they would also have to check the workshop wasn't made of cardboard or blow up material or any other material we use to test the system. On reflection half an hour seems fair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.