Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had lane departure warning before, What does this feel like to everyone else ? I can barely feel it, I thought it was going to be like the white lines rubble stripes on motorway hard shoulders, which is enough to get your attention.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's variable, I think, it depends on the severity of the lane wandering. Not %100 though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same thoughts as you. Just driven home and could hardly feel it. Haven't read up on it yet but maybe can change settings?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you find Guy Salmon for the handover ?
Did you get champagne ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nubmaster,

GS were really good, and yes a nice bottle of bubbly :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought the same, it's vibrate is pretty poor. I also thought it would bee. So far it's a pretty useless feature if you don't know or look at the display.
Also found it needs to be more sensitive (but I haven;t tried on the highest setting yet) I was very much over when it rumbled every so little.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In the vehicle settings you can change the intensity of the 'shake' ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slider said:
In the vehicle settings you can change the intensity of the 'shake' ;)
Where is that slider ?
U the setting menu, under lane departure warning, there is only two options,
Activate LDW
Sensitivity.( I beleive this is for the sensor)

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's ok, but as has been mentioned, the lower setting feels like running over cats eyes, not too much of a warning. However after 2 hours driving today, I had tuned into the feature.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Triple7
It's ok, but as has been mentioned, the lower setting feels like running over cats eyes, not too much of a warning. However after 2 hours driving today, I had tuned into the feature.
Tried it out this morning with loaner and agree with quote, you become more aware, and this one did vibrate noticeably. Would be nice to have a beep though (although the wife hates the various alarms).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Triple7 said:
Where are the settings for this ? I can barely feel it

·
Registered
677 Posts
If we see a DS owner driving over rumble strips we know who it is :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find the rumble fine - I have on high setting - Although I would find a bleep better - However my question is
When / how does it work - I find it almost a lottery if one or two of the dotted indicator are green showing active - I keep looking at road / lane markings and can find no pattern to when it is working and when not

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also find the rumble noticeable enough, just on default setting. It may be a godsend that there is no beep, as a friend has a Kia Sorento, where the beeping can't be turned off without disabling the whole thing. It doesn't even deactivate when indicating a lane change, unlike the disco system which has a bit more intelligence.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I find it fine on the high setting but I'm so very glad there's no audible warning. It would remind me too much of the many visits I made to Japan where they have a beep, peep or call it what you like for every d**m thing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like the lane departure warning quite useful.
For some reason I cross lanes more often unwittingly with the DS than with my last car (Audi A6).
It has something to do with the feeling of steering wheel which makes you less conscious when deviate from your position.

I switched it off for some time, but after some near collisions with some obstacles beside the road, I quickly decided to switch it on again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
But in winter time departure warning is useless.

When having frozen snow on both sides and in middle of the road departure warning is on all the time

·
Registered
64 Posts
TonyM said:
I find the rumble fine - I have on high setting - Although I would find a bleep better - However my question is
When / how does it work - I find it almost a lottery if one or two of the dotted indicator are green showing active - I keep looking at road / lane markings and can find no pattern to when it is working and when not
As far as I know:
Green indicators means that the system successfully recognizes the lane markings. The vehicle has to be above a certain speed before the system is active. Since the system uses visual camera, some of the things that help with lane recognition are: high contrast distinct lane markings (not old and blurred), dry surface (minimum reflection), sufficient speed, smooth road surface (if the road is full of patch work it may mis-recognize it). Things like a dirt bank instead of a pedestrian walkway may also cause the system to not recognize that side of the lane. Sometimes tire marks on the road might trigger a false alarm if the lane marking is not clear. It doesn't work well in the rain.

·
Registered
506 Posts
elysio is correct. Two greens means both sides of the lane are recognised, one means that particular lane marking is recognised. One or both showing white just means that the system is working, but that neither lane has been recognised, and that you're not deviating. A red means you're drifting if you have not indicted to change lane and will cause the column to vibrate. I have mine set on the strongest setting and find it very useful. I definitely would not want an alarm to beep for this. A friend has a Qasqai and hates the alarm.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.