Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2017 DS with electric towbar. 5 seat option was not available then so had to be 7 seat which are never used. No spare wheel available, just aerosol can! Does anyone know if I can get a retro fit spare wheel, either full size or slim if I get rid of the third row of seats?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had to get Green Flag out to rescue me. Tyre split so foam no good, temp wheel loaned by them, drove to repair shop and new tyre fitted after an hour or so. Hence the need for a spare to be carried.

G

·
smb said:
Does anyone know if I can get a retro fit spare wheel, either full size or slim if I get rid of the third row of seats?
Use the 'search' function as this has been asked/answered before.
Fairly sure there were photos where someone had added an emergency spare in place of the seats but it was slightly higher than the normal floor level.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had exactly the same problem when I purchased my new 2020.
Cost of a new tyre for my rims is approx £200 and once you use the foam supplied if you get a puncture no tyre company will repair it as they write the tyre off.
This makes a puncture a very expensive issue so I purchased a space saver wheel which came in its own carry bag. Unfortunately you have to store it in the boot which is a pain if you use the boot as even a space saver is heavy and bulky but Id rather do that than fork out for a new tyre plus another repair kit if I get a puncture

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The tyre gunk also trashes the pump as well I believe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I presume they plugged it and tou never put the foam in it as they wont repair a puncture if you have used the repair kit. They just scrap the tyre

·
Registered
612 Posts
No I didn't put the foam in. TPMS pinged, and I was lucky enough to be able to get a mobile appointment within the hour

Some places will try and clean out the foam, if it's possible (usually isn't).

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
748 Posts
I have always had a spare tire in all my cars in Canada but I carry a product called "FIX-A-FLAT" . Over the years I have had to use it a few times with no problem. I try to mark the place on the tire where I can see the leak to make it easier to repair. The tire shops complain a little but clean the insides and patch the leak.

Illegal to use plugs to repair a tire in my province,, all leaks have to repaired from the inside of the tire with a patch. Never heard of a tire needing to be scraped because of tire sealant, sounds like you have lazy repair people LOL.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Plug/patch - it's the same thing. It's repaired to British Standard BSAU159.

http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Minor-repairs-to-passenger-car-and-light-van-tyres.pdf

Note section 3d The following 'repair' methods are not recognised as acceptable:

- Plugs applied externally to fitted tyres

In terms of cleaning out the sealant and then doing a proper patch/plug, it depends on the repair shop and the product used.

For example, Tyreweld is designed to be cleaned off and a proper plug/patch applied. I find that sensible, not lazy.

https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/support/mechanic-said-cant-repair-tyre-using-tyreweld/

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Jan 2020 new DS has 7 seats, tow bar and skinny spare in a cradle under the car. You couldn't order both the spare and the tow bar from the factory, but the dealer fitted the towbar on arrival.

So perhaps you can buy the bits to fit the cradle, rather than remove the seats ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
The spare under the car requires a different exhaust - certainly on the older model, not sure about the newest models. The "normal" exhaust is a single large silencer across the back with tailpipes at either end. The factory specified under-slung spare requires two separate exhausts each with it's own silencer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the models with the can of foam and pump should there also be a jack and wheel brace? I have a 2020 7 seater with electric tow bar and the dealer is telling me they don't come with them (he's also told me a lot of other things ;-) ). It's also missing the locking wheel nut "key" and the dealer has agreed to replace the existing locking nuts with a new key as I can't get the wheels off.

·
Registered
471 Posts
No - if you have a can of glue and a compressor you do not get a wheel brace or jack. The theory being that you drive to your local tyre retailer (maximum 120 miles?) and they have the necessary equipment to remove the wheel. I don't believe there is space in the foam insert to put the jack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No - if you have a can of glue and a compressor you do not get a wheel brace or jack. The theory being that you drive to your local tyre retailer (maximum 120 miles?) and they have the necessary equipment to remove the wheel. I don't believe there is space in the foam insert to put the jack.
Thanks @Andy131 - it looks like there is space in the foam for a jack but that makes sense. I replaced the existing set of locking wheel nuts over the weekend so I can now get the puncture I had repaired (LR Assist did a temp plug).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It appears that on the 7 seat model, the removed full size wheel when fitting the space saver wheel in case of a puncture can go in the space saver location under the car (from instruction manual) - it would be difficult at times to carry in the car (eg with 7 people in it) Can a full size not go there all the time? If not, why and has anyone solved what the problem is. Just would be useful to have full size as towing a caravan. Older discovery sports I’ve seen in uk all have the 7 seats, can’t afford a newer 5 seat one with towing pack and full size spare.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If it can be fitted after a puncture, it can go there permanently (it still has to fit and be safe so 1 day, 1 week or 10 years, the effect is the same, it either fits safely or it doesn't).
If they've replaced the full size with a space saver, it sounds like that's predominantly as a weight and cost saving measure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it can be fitted after a puncture, it can go there permanently (it still has to fit and be safe so 1 day, 1 week or 10 years, the effect is the same, it either fits safely or it doesn't).
If they've replaced the full size with a space saver, it sounds like that's predominantly as a weight and cost saving measure.
Hi I am looking at a 2019 HSE Lux 7 seats I will fit a tow bar myself that's not the issue, just wondering if you can buy the spare wheel holder for either a space saver or full size, the car has twin exhaust at the rear.
Looking for a fixed flanged bar as I put bikes on the rear.
Any help greatly appreciated
Richard

1 - 20 of 22 Posts