Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets be honest, the last thing JLR had in mind was storage, if like me you only want the five seats, this was not an option, this is where my old Freelander scores high marks. All the time while l am driving, l have been thinking about the seats l don't want, anyway today was the day to remove them.
First thing first, get the tools you need ready. 1 x 13mm Socket, 1 x T40 Star Socket, and one 13mm spanner reversible. See Picture One.Pic-One.jpg
Next remove any loose fitting in the boot, tool cover, plastic tread plate and tool tray, The tread plate has clips holding it in place, just pull upwards and off it comes, you can then remove the tool tray.Pic-Two.jpg
Next remove the two side rails with the T40 Star Socket, and put to one side. Now you will see two metal brackets either side of the seats, Each bracket has two 13mm screws to undo, Picture three shows bracket with screws removed.Pic-Three.jpg
When you have done this you should have 4 screws in your hand, put into bag for storage. Next look at the rear center bracket, you will see an electrical connector, disconnect this and tuck around wiring loom at rear of boot , Now remove the four nuts holding bracket to chassis and put into same bag as others for storage.Pic-Four.jpg
Now open both rear doors and slide rear seats forward and tilt. remove rubber insert from cup holder, next remove nut from base of cup holder, one on each side, now pull away all plastic trim to reveal two more nuts holding seat down, remove these and your 3rd row are now loose and ready to remove. Pic-Five.jpg
At this point you will need a hand to remove seat and place down carefully as to not damage.
Now its time to tidy up boot space by removing brackets that was holding seat in at the rear. In Picture Six the top pic shows bracket with one nut removed, there are also two on the top, the bottom pic shows 13mm reversible spanner to remove these, REMEMBER to put all nuts back into holes when bracket is removed. Pic-Six.jpg
Once you have removed the brackets, you can start to refit items, refit the two side rails, refit tool holder and then snap into place rear plastic tread plate.Pic-Seven.jpg
Replace the tool cover as in Picture 8, Pic-Eight.jpg
My next job now is to get a ply wood template done by a friend of mine, l have already ordered black car mat from ebay, then just finish off a useful bit of storage space.
It took approx one hour including 2 cups of tea, Final Picture shows all parts removed, Weight saving is massive. Remember to bubble wrap what you remove and store in dry conditions, ready to refit if you change car.Pic-Nine.jpg
As soon as l have template done l will upload finished images. l will also do some copies of my template in paper for anyone you wants one.
regards
tony

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Tony,
Great post with all those photos!
I'm sure some British customers will find this an interesting alternative.
It is truly amazing that 7 seats are standard in GB and not in Europe. I really don't get the point. Are they standard on British big Discos too?
The weight saving would also be really interesting.

Martin

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I would be interested to know if you can get you space saver in the hole whilst leaving the floor level to the original boot floor?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moose said:
I would be interested to know if you can get you space saver in the hole whilst leaving the floor level to the original boot floor?
l will check once l have made template, looks like it would, l have space saver under car at the mo. Will most likely remove tool holder and make a larger template, that way more space than ever.
regards
tony

·
Registered
829 Posts
Well done Tony and really professional guidance for all

The 3rd row of seats added over 90kg weight if ordered yet some of that maybe structural steel to the rear?

I also will leave the full size 20" spare at home at times as it creates an extra 250litres boot space on my 5seater

If you were able to find a more compact home for your toolset, you should be able to create a flat and much lower bootfloor

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If my memory is correct i think there is some kind of metal pressing under the tool holder which may ruin the hope i have of putting the spare there.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Seems a great idea, but what about warranty and insurance issues?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Warranty I guess would be a issue if you took it back for a rattle from the rear seat if you put them back in and they could prove you took them out. but I cannot see any insurance issues, it has not changed the structure, if you rolled it and the piece of plywood you use as the new floor hit you, may be.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moose said:
Warranty I guess would be a issue if you took it back for a rattle from the rear seat if you put them back in and they could prove you took them out. but I cannot see any insurance issues, it has not changed the structure, if you rolled it and the piece of plywood you use as the new floor hit you, may be.
Well l won't be taking car back with any rattles in the 3rd row, that's a fact, l know my dealer very well and if l had a warranty issue l am sure there would not be a problem, after all one of the guys down there did say the 3rd row were easy to remove. l have not finished yet, l hope to complete the job tomorrow if carpet gets here, but its about making the job look professional, neat and tidy, not a botch job.. the latest is l have just fixed two 10mm aluminium angles to each side ready to carry board. if upload images tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the finished article, did you manage to try the space saver in there? That's going to be key for me as the factory tow bar meant I have no room underneath.
I had a look at mine yesterday and the space appears deep enough for a space saver, although not for the Freelander spare I currently have.
When I do it I am going to loose the tool storage cover and make a two piece hinged checkerplate cover covered with carpet to cover the whole load space.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moose said:
Looking forward to seeing the finished article, did you manage to try the space saver in there? That's going to be key for me as the factory tow bar meant I have no room underneath.
I had a look at mine yesterday and the space appears deep enough for a space saver, although not for the Freelander spare I currently have.
When I do it I am going to loose the tool storage cover and make a two piece hinged checkerplate cover covered with carpet to cover the whole load space.
Hi Moose
l did remove the tool storage but decided in my case that it could stay and the room l gained was plenty, l have just been cutting board and with the board in place you have 7.25 inches from floor to bottom of new shelf. l measured where the pressing was, there is slightly more room either side.
hope this helps, still waiting for carpet, being delivered by My Hermes, so the chances are it won't be here till Friday.
regards
tony

·
Registered
741 Posts
Really interesting esp as I don't want or need 7 seats but have no choice with a UK car.

Any chance you could weigh all the gubins you took out? I guess you have saved about 50kg (or a couple of sacks of spuds). Does the car feel any different to drive with all that weight gone?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's funny that I had to pay extra for getting those two extra seats into my US version! Our 10 year old son is very happy with them, he said we can driver longer distances without problems. Most of the time they are folded away anyway.

·
Registered
741 Posts
yserman said:
It's funny that I had to pay extra for getting those two extra seats into my US version! Our 10 year old son is very happy with them, he said we can driver longer distances without problems. Most of the time they are folded away anyway.
My son sat in them all the way back from UK (with the middle seat folded down and slid forward and loved it - probably due to the novelty. However, now the boot liner is in so that the dog can enjoy the car those rear seats won't be seen again (except maybe for his 10th birthday next year).

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
merctony said:
Moose said:
Hi Moose
l did remove the tool storage but decided in my case that it could stay and the room l gained was plenty, l have just been cutting board and with the board in place you have 7.25 inches from floor to bottom of new shelf. l measured where the pressing was, there is slightly more room either side.
hope this helps, still waiting for carpet, being delivered by My Hermes, so the chances are it won't be here till Friday.
regards
tony
Does the carpet you have ordered match? if so where did you get it from?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Started taking mine out last week, however unsure what to do with the seat cabling, so left them in place for now, what has every one else done?
Also these are two antenna attached to the brackets, I presume these have to be refitted ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, trying to view the pictures for this post but they don't seem to be viewable. Any chance you could re upload them or send them to me at my email address if i give it to you. My daughter spilt some milk on the 3rd row seat area carpet and need to get the seats out to remove the carpet for cleaning.

Many thanks

Kelly

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks Tony for the info. good stuff :) This will give me the confidence to do the same.

Pdf file attached showing diagrams of removal

View attachment Removal Third Row Seat.pdf

Just wondering how this will affect MOT ... Will they still check the third row seat belts without seats ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.