Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great to see DS forum getting some traffic now :D

Are you as fed up as me of all the negative comments flying around about DSport....I have never seen such a sad bunch of what seem like jealous? people slamming DSport for such pathetic reasoning'...

I've seen comments on FL2 forum that some thinks it looks like a BMW 1series...or a Clio...they need to get to specsavers quick before they have an accident...like walking into a wall...

Then there are those who say...gonna get a forrester ..OMG :roll:

Don't forget the engine...wow...remember...now its in DSport its suddenly crap...yeah Evoque is a disaster because its got that crappy engine....and guess all those FL2 owners will be selling up as they have got that horrid PSA designed engine..

Ingy engine will be good eventually....for me I'm happy for someone else (XE) to do the testing.....

Then of course there is the issue of ground clearance...don't know about 'one life - live it'....more like 'get a life'

Same goes for the 'command driving position' its a bit lower....something else that after about two days you get used to...

Someone even complained that they bumped their head on the tailgate when it was open.....LR design team must be in tears :lol:

Then they say styling is too generic....then they say 'I'm leaving LR to buy a Q5 or X3'....DS too generic eh'

Oh and don't forget its got 7 seats in the UK....now that is tragic....I don't need the extra two...so guess what...they will stay folded down.

Yes its expensive....cheaper versions will follow...go spec an X3 or Q5 to same level....then go remortgage...LR are doing what all manufacturers do....you launch with premium models at premium prices to get those of us who will buy come what may....then you dilute the range to maintain sales at the level which the business plan for the car works...

BMW and Ford are crying now....they both sold LR as a dead pup...BMW particularly...I was working in Munich at BMW when the announcement was made that they had sold LR.....they were all laughing and saying 'hey good riddance to bad rubbish'.....their view was that they had the tech now to build a product better than LR...who's laughing now....TATA had the vision to see that given freedom LR could suceed...and boy have they...

You know what killed the UK automotive industry (and motorcycle industry) not the Japanese or the unions....it was blind management, lack of investment and lack of vision....LR have both in abundance now, long may they continue.. :D

I can tell you that other manufacturers are ripping into their design and development teams with examples of LR products and giving them hell asking why and how can they (LR) do it....wait until D5 is launched oh boy is that going to cause a storm....sit back and watch D3 and D4 forums...if FL2 owners think DS is a bridge too far.... :lol:

Anyway...I look forward to much hearty banter on here...and not too many tech issues being raised...there will be some, we just all hope its not ours!!... :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well said Slider. Lots of dinosaurs out there and purists...... they have their place but not on this forum. This forum is about the way forward, the future, the inevitable development of a fantastic marque with more history than some countries. In years to come when we are wafting around in our all electric Landrovers the purists will still be at it :lol:

·
Registered
506 Posts
What a brilliant narrative Slider! You hit a lot of nails on the head there!

I've had my FL2 with TD4 engine and auto box for seven years and I still think the unit is very impressive. The SD4 is just a tweaked version with more output and the auto box has 9 cogs instead of 6, so it's well proven and developed, and I had no qualms about ordering a DS with it.

Some motoring mags and articles now say it's noisy, dirty and the auto box is slow, but they have praised it in the past. The one downside was extortionate servicing bills, so one had to phone around to force a good price. That's been addressed now, with the wonderful five year service pack.

If the Ingenium engine series had been kept under wraps until later, I don't think the negative vibes from reviewers would have happened, whereas it seems to be the focal point of opinion at present.

As to the opposition, the Beemer 2.0 litre is more economical and cleaner, all the others being marginal. The beemer is a nine month waiting list for the 2.0 auto - ridiculous, and the styling is yuk! Only the Koreans get near spec wise, Santa Fe and Sorento, and with individual looks, but specced to DS HSE Auto level, are a similar price to the DS - so no contest in my book.

Having driven manual and auto DS HSEs, I can only say that I felt immediately at home in them and they were plush and agile, and I never even noticed the lower height, which is marginal anyway.

I love my FL2, and will be sorry to see it go, but I can't wait to get my hands on the DS.

I didn't want seven seats, and would have liked a five seater available from the start and a full size spare, but as you say, the rear pair can be left folded down, and you can at least specify a skinny spare, as I have done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Spot on, I have a DS on order and currently drive a FL2. The SD4 engine is great IMO. And the Ingenium engine is currently only going to be available in 2 wheel drive and manual!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Great comments guys. I started off with the FL1 after Ford had bought LR. Great car never had any problems. Then bought two FL2s since all with TD4 power plant and auto boxes, again no problems,served me well. Yes the FL2 is much better than the FL1. Have driven a FL2 with the SD4 engine in a couple of occasions when my car was in for service so, looking forward to driving my DS. Agree fully with the comments on the Ingy engine, better leave Jaguar to test it out then my next DSL shall have the well tested Ingy engine.
I have until the 13Feb to close out my spec,anticipating delivery to my dealer end of March early April.
HSE,Kaikoura Stone, Priacy Glass, Mud Flaps, 3 additional USBs, Spare Wheel, Rubber Mats, Service Pack, Almond Interior, Bright Finish Tread Plates.
Can't arrive quick enough!!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been fighting the DSs corner over on the Fl2 forum, and as said some of the things are stupid. Yes, the car isn't to everyones taste and there are things that aren't ideal, but come on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have loved our trouble free Freelander 2. So much in fact that my wife has insisted on keeping it for 7 years. Having said that the Disco Sport is a real step forward. The people who criticise it for being generic and then praise the Macan really make me laugh when it looks like an 911 on stilts. Don't get me wrong I am a Porsche fan and I have owned quite a few but if you want a good looking SUV the DS is in my opinion the only one to have. The other thing that winds me up is road test reviews like the one in What Car whey they give no credence at all to off road ability. For some people this really matters and should be taken into consideration. When we drove the DS at no time did I think the engine was harsh or noisy and it had plenty of pull as well. Cant wait for mine and it is good to have a group of like minded people on a forum.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I feel your pain. I am quiet astounded by the negative comments people leave on DS promotions.

Progress is hard for people!

Imagine if the was such a thing a forums/Facebook when the Freelander 1 came out, that would make for a funny historical record.

Haters gonna Hate I guess.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Duncanslater said:
Imagine if the was such a thing a forums/Facebook when the Freelander 1 came out, that would make for a funny historical record.

There was and it does make interesting reading.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just had a look on a certain FL2 forum....my god how sad...someone moaning about the DS 'cos it was like 'driving a car'....WTF :roll:

Talk about resistant to change...then there complaints that there is no storage for the emergency survival kit they carry...100metres of rope..length of chain...sleeping bag.....food hamper....wet suit (just in case they find themselves in a river....numerous cans of oil/screenwash/water....probably the 5 lever toolbox...seriously tho' there are some sad sad people about... :? .

·
Registered
506 Posts
Moose
Duncanslater wrote:

There was and it does make interesting reading.
I bought a black Freelander 1 new in June 1998, an XEDi (top of the range at that time, though it used the old Rover diesel) and I thought it was fantastic. It was still great, but long since overtaken, in 2004 when I sold it. It was very special at launch compared to the CRV and ageing RAV4, and miles ahead of the Ford Maverick / Nissan Terrano, and dinosaur Vauxhall Frontera.

However, it got terrible reports for unreliability. I think this was mainly down to the 1.8 petrol version (detuned MGF engine) which suffered head gasket problems etc. Mine must have been a Monday morning build, rather than a Friday afternoon job, as it was totally reliable. The only issue I had was with the rear door seal that let water into the boot and underfloor storage, which was replaced (I think it was a revised part) and cured.

To read all the reports, it was a heap, but mine was fine, and hopefully some others were too. Not many people report how great things are, just the negative experiences. Rant over!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Surely if the Fl2 types need to carry all that stuff to get home they would be better off buy a std D4 :twisted: :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure I understand, the DS has heaps more boot space for coils of rope, axes, genenerators etc. :) the FL2 has a tiny boot.....

Good to have Gerry McGovern back imho. FL2 and D3/4 have drained the boxy meme. Time for something modern with Land Rover genes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree, a lot of senseless moaning on the FL2 forum. But then, most of the moaning is coming from people who obviously want old / boxy / cheap / utilitarian, not to mention hideous bodykits. If you really think that a Subaru is a better car for you then it is quite obvious that you are not doing to be a DS buyer..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess people who realise they now have an obsolete car are going to have a hard time adjusting. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
My dealer let me have an HSE for eight hours on Thursday, as I'd only driven a pre production manual and auto in the dark previously. Fantastic being by myself and using my 'test route' that I know thoroughly and gives differing road conditions, so that I could concentrate on the cars attributes. Extremely impressed by all aspects, and that she's so low revving but very responsive and felt like she was on rails. Can't wait to get mine now, and getting back into the FL2 after these runs really demonstrated how things have moved on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
nice summary xxt! My hour in an HSE Lux brought similar conclusions... great handling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts