Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd say hi, this is a new forum to me.

Yesterday, me, wife and two of the three kids, managed to get onto the launch drive event run by the Harwood's group. It was based at Hever castle, which is round the corner from where we live. We've been eying the DS for a while as we currently have a long wheel base Mercedes R class and are looking to move to something a bit smaller now the boys are older and we don't need the space to carry the buggie (double as they are twins). The Merc is lovely but huge! We wish to keep the versatility of 7 seats as sometimes kids need rows between them!

Anyway, we were really impressed. The ride in particular was better than the Merc, it felt better tied to the road and whilst the interior isn't quite as lux it was all very pleasant. We were amazed by the space in the rear and the third row seats were fine. Those in the Merc are full sized adult seats so don't really compare but for the kids they were fine.

Didn't get to run it up to speed as it was snowing the the route didn't include an A-road but I'm not expecting it to be anything less than good. My only but was the engine, which whilst not unacceptable is obviously going to be replaced soon. The sales guys told me not to worry, the new one will not be much more refined and as a private buyer I shouldn't worry about the co2 or minor improvement in economy. They also suggested it would start out only on a 2 wheel drive model. So I think I am sold subject of course to the cost to change, which I have asked for an appointment to talk to them about. I'll see if they come back to me.

So there is the intro. I'll think I'll start some other threads on residuals, colour combos and accessories renting, and hopefully enjoy the forum.

So we are now looking at specs.

Lofi

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like a good event. I missed out due to family commitments but would have liked to have gone.
Agree on the Lux side of things vs. Merc but I guess the Lux brand is Range Rover and here you are getting the "Premium not Precious" interior :)
There is way too much hype around the "new engine". I do not know who picked it up first but they have made a meal of it. The SD4 is fitted to loads of Ewoks (sorry Evoques) and Freelander 2s without complaint. Anyway, it is far more refined than the TDCi engine fitted to my Defender :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree - the new engine is way overhyped - I have the SD4 in my Freelander and it is a great engine which is let down by a poor and outdated autobox. I was led to believe that the new engines would initially only be available on the 2 wheel drive DS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts