Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had this news release come through and thought I'd share it here.;

Automotive design Audio equipment Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle audio

Jaguar Land Rover has announced the launch of justDrive™, an industry-leading app technology that integrates multiple smartphone apps into a single, voice-activated in-car experience.

Developed by Silicon Valley-based CloudCar™, Jaguar Land Rover has optimized justDrive™ for its InControl™ platform for both Apple iOS8 and Android phones. 'justDrive for Jaguar Land Rover' integrates popular apps and services, such as Spotify, Twitter, Yelp and others, to give Jaguar and Land Rover drivers an unprecedented level of connectivity for navigation, media, social interaction, voice search and information services while minimising driver distraction.

justDrive will join 17 other apps including Stitcher, IheartRadio and Parkopedia currently in Jaguar Land Rover's InControl Apps in-car infotainment system. Free to download, justDrive is available from early 2015 and offers drivers continuously updated apps and services throughout their vehicle ownership.

Dr Wolfgang Epple, Director of Research and Technology, Jaguar Land Rover, said: "Our InControl system already allows the driver to plug their smartphone into the vehicle and then safely control their apps through the vehicle's touchscreen. The apps areenhanced for in-car use, so it is exactly like having your smartphone installed in your dashboard.

"Today, we areadvancing our InControl system a stage further and to the forefront of the industry with the launch of justDrive. This moves the driver from the task-oriented, app-specific touch-based use of individual apps, to full control of all chosen app content through plain natural speech or touch interface."

justDrive uses one of the most advanced plain speech recognition packages in the world, so customers can communicate naturally with their car, rather than using simple syntax commands. justDrive's intelligence takes care of finding the best results for a user's request from among the many applications and services that it has aggregated. So instead of the driver having to specify which navigation provider to search for when looking for the closest gas station, they can simply ask justDrive for directions.

The driver can dictate and then send a tweet or SMS by simply saying: 'Tell George I'll be late', with justDrive reading the content of the message back to you before it is sent. You can also ask justDrive to play a particular song, just by asking for it.

"While our aim is to significantly enhance the driving experience through unprecedented levels of connectivity, we also want to reduce driver distraction. So we have worked closely with the CloudCar team to ensure justDrive is 'right for driving'," added Dr Epple. "Using speech as a key enabler, together with justDrive's simple and clean user interface, means we only show essential information to help create a safe, non-distracting driving environment."

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
But "only" for iOS8 and Android, no Sailfish or Windows. :(

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not ticked this option. In-Control is this the latest essential option, or surpassed in 6. Months by something far better?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I watched the LR video on this and thought that I won't ever use the current 'Apps'. In-control remote is included, so maybe one day it will be worthwhile to upgrade, but at least the hardware is already in the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Available in the US only it seems....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Triple7 said:
I watched the LR video on this and thought that I won't ever use the current 'Apps'. In-control remote is included, so maybe one day it will be worthwhile to upgrade, but at least the hardware is already in the car.
I might like the voice recognition aspect of it but I'm not sure I can use it cause I only have InControl Apps and not InControl Remote (which I would have preferred, but I bought a DS off the dealer's lot and it didn't have it installed even though the dealer thought it was).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Been away for a while, but it was a pleasant surprise for me to see the JustDrive app turn up in my list of incontrol apps.
Thought I'd let the forum know as some of you probably wanted to try this out :)
So its now been launched for the UK market and comes with offline navigation maps from here.
Clean interface, good voice recognition. Only gripe being I wish it had been tied to the voice button on the steering rather than me having to touch the mic icon on the screen, but overall its quite nice to have.

This is also supported in the older generation incontrol system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Used it for a while, via various means. It's dreadful and if you've already got voice control, not worth the effort to download,

·
Registered
232 Posts
A couple of questions if I may.

How much is it? What does it do that the Sat Nav in the car doesn't?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Loopylumpy said:
A couple of questions if I may.

How much is it? What does it do that the Sat Nav in the car doesn't?
My cynical answer is "nothing" and virtually "nothing".

·
Registered
75 Posts
HERE maps are generally better I would say if you have used it on other platforms like phones etc.
But then I must change my opinion on JustDrive , its quite hopeless :(
Everytime I put this app on, first its slow, but then when its on navigation and then I try to come back to my music player to play via bluetooth, it brings back that annoying screen on asking me to connect my phone and approve again.
Why does iphone always asks me to allow this app to run, its so annoying, should just work when you connect.
Anyways, the last thing you want to be doing is fiddling with the previous generation touch screen on your landrover and your next generation 3D touch screen on your iphone while you are out and driving :)

Like somebody said above, stick to the voice control, built in satnav, and bluetooth music, and enjoy the drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts