Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my car from my dealer up in the northwest of England where we live. Fantastic service at all times and as a result I have bought a number of vehicles from them. They are however 30 minutes drive away so I have in fact only been in once and made my order over the phone. Down at the in-laws near Tunbridge Wells at the moment so I took the opportunity to call in at the landrover dealers and have a good look at the DS. I took along my two children and the father in-law. Two salesmen sat at their desks and barely raised an eyebrow with not even an hello. When I raised the two rear seats and got the children to sit in them one of the two looked horrified. Is it me? or should we expect someone to show a little interest. I know in this case the sale would not happen but they did not know this. Poor service and would never generate any custom from me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know how you feel I found it hard to spend my £42k.

Dealer one, on my first visit during the week when there were no other customers not one salesman approached me so I walked out. Returned with the family for a test drive and they wouldn't seal a deal for the sake of a £500 discount or adjustment of a trade in, they promised to call back a number of times and never did. They finally called back a week later, they were too late I'd already placed an order with dealer three.

Dealer two took all the details of my requirements over the phone, they never called back with an offer.

Dealer three, called back when asked, gave a good deal and seemed interested in having an order, well done Sturgess of Leicester, who now have my order.

·
Registered
344 Posts
These dealerships where not even a common courtesy "Hello" is given deserve to be addressed through JLR head office.
You are speaking about a large financial investment which I feel requires to be addressed with that potential via the dealer.

HSE Auto, Kaikoura stone, almond interior, 3 additional USB, bright finish tread plates, mud flaps, rubber mats, spare wheel.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I agree entirely and we are only spending half of what some are spending, I would be even more miffed if I had spend 100k plus.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Strange, my dealer's staff were very attentive, tried to answer questions and demonstrated the car's attributes. The salesman finally came up with a deal that I didn't think would be bettered elsewhere, so I signed on the dotted!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Moose said:
I agree entirely and we are only spending half of what some are spending, I would be even more miffed if I had spend 100k plus.
The one dealer actually said to me "we have cars costing over £100k and we don't have to discount them, people just buy them so why should we give you a discount" he also told me "their new showroom had cost £8 million to build and so they needed to get their money back!!"

I found the very expensive door and left.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You are in the same neck of the woods as me, so we probably had the same experience.
That's two sales they didn't get the pay for the building. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Although I am pleased to have been a longstanding Land Rover (and Range Rover) owner and have had little hesitation in placing my order for a new Discovery Sport to replace my ageing but ever reliable Freelander. I have to echo the experience of others concerning the lackadaisical and, in some instances, almost ignorant, attitude of some local LR dealerships.

I posted previously (26th Jan) my experience of the lack of information: I have requested a brochure on three separate occasions - once through the Land Rover site and twice with different dealerships and months later still none have been sent. I have also had the same 'couldn't be bothered' attitude when trying to obtain information at the showroom (quite possibly the same one visted by Bentley). In fact, the result of doing my own research has mostly been that I know more about the vehicle than they do! When I asked how much longer the new DS was than the Freelander I was told that they were the same length - they had to be they were built on the same platform!! When questioned where the spare wheel was located and how it could be accessed no one was knew and advised me that I could only have a spare if I did not opt for the extra third row seats (despite this not being an option in the UK). The list rather boringly goes on….

I was able to attend a launch event in January but although that did enable me to actually see a DS(!) again no brochures were available to the assembled throng nor, apparently, were any sales staff in evidence to answer questions - surely the whole point of their exercise.
Land Rover has been good at laying claim to the amazing range of wizardry available in the new DS though has been rather less keen to say that not all is actually yet in the vehicles! It has even confused its own dealers! - as I mentioned earlier, my nearest LR dealership is still headlining the new DS as including the following attributes:
"The petrol motor's 240PS ensures a vital and engaging performance, making the vehicle capable of a 0-60mph sprint in just 8.2 seconds"
"…curvaceous looks and 21" alloy wheels"
"...while the option of a "Heads Up" display enables drivers.."
"Such sophisticated mechanisms as the Blind Spot Monitor and Closing Vehicle Sensing make manoeuvring.."

Perhaps that is true somewhere but certainly not yet in the UK and it is frankly nothing short of misleading. For diehard LR converts this is annoying and disappointing but it hardly the way to attract new customers to the brand.

For my part, I opted to order from a dealership some distance away from whom I have had good service and which has made efforts to try to answer basic questions. Fingers crossed that the DS is better than some of its dealerships.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Perhaps I should count myself very fortunate that my dealership is a one - off family owned concern, and that they appear to look after repeat customers (with a bit of gentle persuasion albeit). Maybe the big Groups get a bit blase about their customer base. At least most of you did the right thing and headed for the door!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
xxtrail said:
Perhaps I should count myself very fortunate that my dealership is a one - off family owned concern, and that they appear to look after repeat customers (with a bit of gentle persuasion albeit). Maybe the big Groups get a bit blase about their customer base. At least most of you did the right thing and headed for the door!
I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak. unfortunately there are not many small 'family' dealers left.
Whilst not a single dealership I should have gone with my original choice of Shucker at Ludlow had it not been for the awkwardness of getting there (not part exchanging) they have collected (50 miles each way) and serviced all my Land Rover without fault unlike a few others.
The young lady at the dealers I have purchased from to now has been great but they are part of a large group, so far she has always answered or returned my many calls and changes of spec.
The two dealers in the 'greater Birmingham area' I did attempt to buy from did not make me feel special which rightly or wrongly is what I want. One is part of a vary large group and to be honest I get better customers service from HMRC.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Moose
One is part of a vary large group and to be honest I get better customers service from HMRC.
That is really saying something!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am glad that someone has posted this. I thought it was me!

Although I am a FL2 owner (SD4 2010) of several years and have had excellent service from it and the local main dealer, I had got the impression that unless I go begging I will not get a test drive or any salesman taking an interest in my being in the salesroom.

Although the receptionist always offers my coffee and posh biscuits as soon as I go through the door (even when only booking my next service), and the service staff are attentive (good courtesy cars and my car presented back to me cleaned inside and out) (and I forgot a goody bag);
the salesmen stay firmly in their seats.

I am still waiting for the phone call in reply to my earlier requests for a test drive, both on line and in person at the showroom several months ago.

I read somewhere recently that LRs policy was to build less than the required amount of cars, as this keeps up residual values, and also it allows them never to have to give discounts.

I bought my Freelander from a leasing company which showed interest in what wife and myself wanted, is this the way forward for my next purchase.

I just get the impression that these large dealers command such a large are that they feel you must deal with them as their is little or no competition.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think it is the same everywhere. I've dealt in recent years with Ford, Mercedes and Porsche and where sales are concerned its the same - unless you have called and made an appointment setting out what you want and what you wish to achieve from your visit you'll probably not get a look in if you just turn up. The old days of sales guy rushing from their desks to get to you first as you walked in off the street seem to have gone. However, in all cases I have found that once you engage most sales staff are excellent, they are now penalised significantly for poor customer service (verified by a survey after you have purchased) as much as they are rewarded for sales.

This is my first LR experience and they were very pro-active in getting me in after the DS launch day. After I placed a deposit they lapsed into not returning an email but I politely pointed this out to them, that their work doesn't end when the deposit is put down, and to be fair they said they'd miss my email (doesn't matter whether true or not) but then resolved the issue quickly and with good comms. Since then they've been excellent. My sales guy has 120 orders in a box by his desk with 50 or so hand overs in the March period. I know everyone in the customer service sales business can always do better, but that is quite a customer base to juggle.

As for paper brochures not sing available, might be a bit controversial but aren't they a bit old hat when its all there interactive on a tablet or computer . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discoloz said:
I know how you feel I found it hard to spend my £42k.

Dealer one, on my first visit during the week when there were no other customers not one salesman approached me so I walked out. Returned with the family for a test drive and they wouldn't seal a deal for the sake of a £500 discount or adjustment of a trade in, they promised to call back a number of times and never did. They finally called back a week later, they were too late I'd already placed an order with dealer three.

Dealer two took all the details of my requirements over the phone, they never called back with an offer.

Dealer three, called back when asked, gave a good deal and seemed interested in having an order, well done Sturgess of Leicester, who now have my order.
Ooh, please spill the beans on your 'good deal'? Had a test drive with the wife the other day, they are now valuing my car for trade in and really interested in what deal's people are getting?

Im expecting a trade in for a fair bit less than the value of my car so this is particularly interesting. I was thinking of using the line, you won't give me a discount on the DS but you are heavily discounting on the trade in. You can't have it both ways if you want the sale.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey DiscoStu good name ;)

The deal I refer to is on the trade in, I didn't even try to negotiate on the new car knowing that was fruitless. I have a 2012 Jag XF so tried to pick dealers which also had a Jag divisions who might be interested in putting it into their stock. I went armed with valuations from Whatcar and We Buy Any Car, the Whatcar is high and WBAC low so based my expectations on the average of the two. The first dealer I went to gave a low estimate, the dealer I've done a deal with gave an offer some £1500 more than the first, I was happy with this and so signed on the dotted line.

The first dealer tried to say my car needed four new tyres costing £1500 and a service at £750. I pulled out my phone googled and showed him the real costs, tyres £500 for four and £350 for service, this took the wind out of his sails but he wouldn't shift on the trade in, so I walked.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discoloz said:
Hey DiscoStu good name ;)
I have a 2012 Jag XF so tried to pick dealers which also had a Jag divisions who might be interested in putting it into their stock.
Great advice - else what you'll end up with the CAP average value, which reduces the dealer's risk when your trade tootles off to auction.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Interesting idea of Discoloz to put the chosen dealer in the signature panel, I think I will try that myself, it gives a sort of unofficial snap shot of were folks have found a salesman who treats us as people not numbers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Same here - no way they're going to discount the DS for about a year - so no point asking! I checked Parker's but also got a Whatcar? valuation in late September and another in late December so I could see how the trade 'winds' were blowing. I knew what I wanted, but also knew that I'd have to compromise. I was shown the LR computer system valuation and what they would market it as, and expect to get (it will be sold by them, not traded off).

Based on the valuations I'd already got and that it would probably be a similar price shift over the next 3 months until I get the new one, I got better than their system showed and they also threw in the service pack, effectively giving me an extra £499 on my car, and paid for my plate retention too, another £105. Therefore, I was closer to my figure than I thought I'd be, and it was pointless going elsewhere - so I too, signed on the dotted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Moose said:
xxtrail said:
I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak. unfortunately there are not many small 'family' dealers left.
Whilst not a single dealership I should have gone with my original choice of Shucker at Ludlow had it not been for the awkwardness of getting there (not part exchanging) they have collected (50 miles each way) and serviced all my Land Rover without fault unlike a few others.
The young lady at the dealers I have purchased from to now has been great but they are part of a large group, so far she has always answered or returned my many calls and changes of spec.
The two dealers in the 'greater Birmingham area' I did attempt to buy from did not make me feel special which rightly or wrongly is what I want. One is part of a vary large group and to be honest I get better customers service from HMRC.
I wouldn't wee on Stratstones if they were on fire tbh.
The big dealers did a number on the company at the time when JLR was struggling and have a lot more power trepan ever, as franchises and no owned dealerships, JLR need to keep them sweet and they guard their sales areas like a hungry man with a sandwich.
The days of mum and dad franchises are virtually over I'm sorry to say, the dealer council have insisted that there be a corporate design to all dealerships and whilst they can afford the money, small ones can't

Yes they have forgotten the days of more cars than buyers and that is not going to change for a long while, as JL R are going from strength to strength

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Warkman said:
I wouldn't wee on Stratstones if they were on fire tbh.
The big dealers did a number on the company at the time when JLR was struggling and have a lot more power trepan ever, as franchises and no owned dealerships, JLR need to keep them sweet and they guard their sales areas like a hungry man with a sandwich.
The days of mum and dad franchises are virtually over I'm sorry to say, the dealer council have insisted that there be a corporate design to all dealerships and whilst they can afford the money, small ones can't

Yes they have forgotten the days of more cars than buyers and that is not going to change for a long while, as JL R are going from strength to strength
They took over a Land Rover dealership in Wolverhampton, who at the time were the cheapest for service in the Midlands, ok wage rates localy were cheap this gave the good rate, the lads they imployed were not all rocket scientist so the odd thing was not perfect but they always fixed it quickly and were a frendly bunch.
Stratstone took over, the friendly service manger went, prices went to Stratstone rates, mistakes got worse and were argued about, I and many others stopped going. The dealership is now closed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts